Inventing Skating Moves | Golden Skate

Inventing Skating Moves

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
It must be really thrilling for a skater to become part of skating history by inventing a move that is done day in and day out by other skaters. Mathman's post about the Ina Bauer move got me thinking. Some moves came about purely by accident. This is my favorite anecdote about a move called the Illusion ( Windmill ). It was invented by another German skater named Gundi Busch.

* This looks like a camel spin but with a variation wherein the skater's torso and free leg move up and down while spinning
Invented (in error) by German and World Champion, Gundi Busch.
She went off balance during a camel and continued to repeat the 'mistake'.

One does not see this move as much these days, but it's a great move and always amazes me when someone can do it!

illusion_jessica_s.jpg

IDLERACER

Medalist
Kristie Yamaguchi is especially good at this move. Although it's a blurry shot, I believe that's her in your picture. Tara Lipinski used to do it pretty good as well.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
IDLERACER:

It is a Japanese girl, but not Kristie. If you go to the site where the picture is posted, you can get the image to play.

Thanks for the reply.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I like it when the pairs come up with new lifts: the ID, the Hartattack, etc...

We have the Bielman, the Hamill camel, the Button (now flying) camel, the Grafstrom (now flying) sit and the layback. Any others? I don't even think that Kwan does the Kwan spin anymore, so it didn't really stick IMO. I never really understood the difference between Sasha's "beaver cleaver" and what Midori used to do.

There's the Ina Bauer and the newly revived Charlotte, but I don't think that the Kerrigan spiral ever got it's due, even though skaters like Tara have been using it for years.

I don't think that anyone's invented a jump in almost a century, much to my dismay. BTW, why didn't the inventors of the toe loop and the flip get a name credit?

Panther2000

On the Ice
berthes ghost said:
I never really understood the difference between Sasha's "beaver cleaver" and what Midori used to do.

:laugh: But, that was too funny. I always hated that move. Ok, she pull her feet around the back of her neck & wear it like a fur coat. Just because, you can do something doesn't mean that you should. For me it is a tacky move. There is no grace or beauty to it at all. It is just a Look what I can do move.

Last edited:

Meisje24

Rinkside
the newly revived Charlotte

Does anyone maybe have a picture of a Charlotte? I'm always wondering what kind of move that is. I can't find it in my skating encyclopedia or on sk8testuff. Thanks!

Annemarie

Bynx

On the Ice
Meisje24 said:
Does anyone maybe have a picture of a Charlotte? I'm always wondering what kind of move that is. I can't find it in my skating encyclopedia or on sk8testuff. Thanks!

Annemarie

99coi_char.jpg

Bynx

On the Ice
berthes ghost said:
I don't think that anyone's invented a jump in almost a century, much to my dismay.

I've been thinking about this for some time.

What about a jump that is like a reversed salchow?
You go around the ice as a setup for a loop, you do a back 3-turns(except the free-leg swings out), and then on the third turn you swing the free-leg behind you and you're up into the rotation and then land. It'd be easier to show,

What about that?
Would that work?

Bynx

On the Ice
Meisje24 said:
Thanks for posting this picture. :) Can't help but feeling a little "Is that all?" though. I heard a lot of people raving about the move.

Looks a lot better in motion.

Olenska

Rinkside
I like it when the pairs come up with new lifts: the ID, the Hartattack, etc...

We have the Bielman, the Hamill camel, the Button (now flying) camel, the Grafstrom (now flying) sit and the layback. Any others? I don't even think that Kwan does the Kwan spin anymore, so it didn't really stick IMO. I never really understood the difference between Sasha's "beaver cleaver" and what Midori used to do.

Could someone define these moves for me? I know the Biellman, but what about the others?

And would Hydroblading count as a "new" move?
What about the Protopopovs' variations on the death spiral?

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Bynx said:
Looks a lot better in motion.

Especially when it's done interestingly, like when Naomi Nari Nam did it forwards or when Michelle Kwan exits it with a hydroblade.

Norlite

On the Ice
Bynx said:
I've been thinking about this for some time.

What about a jump that is like a reversed salchow?
You go around the ice as a setup for a loop, you do a back 3-turns(except the free-leg swings out), and then on the third turn you swing the free-leg behind you and you're up into the rotation and then land. It'd be easier to show,

What about that?
Would that work?

Yeah, it must be easier to show. My daughter just tried it using your instructions and all she could figure out was you just described Slute's 3 turn entrance into her loop.

Could you try to elaborate? (she's willing to try it on the ice if you had more specific instructions and then I can get the "Bynx" ratified. :D

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Olenska:

Any move that is invented and then emulated by other skaters certainly counts - that would include "hydroblading" which was invented and developed by Uschi Keszler and made it's debut via Bourne and Kraatz - became their "signature" move. Now other dance teams use it.

http://members.aol.com/tiamat1064/uschi/ukhb.jpg

http://members.aol.com/tiamat1064/uschi/kimhyd.jpg

"With me, the signature is not as obvious, because the way I work is to bring out a skater’s own personality, instead of imposing part of my own personality on them, so I feel that makes it more of a mystery who I am. Because my theory has always been to make them see how wonderful they are, not how wonderful I am."

Thanks for the reply!

berthes ghost

Final Flight

Meisje24

Rinkside
Thanks for all the pictures! They're so much easier to understand than the lengthy explanations ;)

Annemarie

I have heard of the 'non toe take off Lutz' but I've never seen one. Has anyone performed this jump? I would think it would be a most idfficult jump without the toe take off.

Joe

Last edited: