Has Yuna gotten a new costume designer? | Golden Skate

Has Yuna gotten a new costume designer?

Bennett

Record Breaker
As many other people, I find Yuna's SP costume so gorgeous. It is remarkably better than previous ones. I did not think her previous designers very good and had always wished if she could find a better designer. I heard that she changed the desginer at least once last season; but the outcomes did not seem to be too satisfactory. Does anyone know if she has changed the designer this season and who designed this beautiful costume?

szidon

On the Ice
As many other people, I find Yuna's SP costume so gorgeous. It is remarkably better than previous ones. I did not think her previous designers very good and had always wished if she could find a better designer. I heard that she changed the desginer at least once last season; but the outcomes did not seem to be too satisfactory. Does anyone know if she has changed the designer this season and who designed this beautiful costume?

Definitely! This SP costume is so gorgeous!
I heard Wilson introduced a new designer in Montreal to Yuna this season. But don't know who the designer is..

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
She looks stunning. I also loved her dresses for worlds last year, athough I felt the fresskate on didn't really go with the program.
I think she found the perfect look.

skamper23

Medalist
I loved both her dresses for Skate America! They are beautiful. The question I have is they (the commentators) kept refering to her as KIM Yu- Na, I've only heard her name as Yu -Na Kim, so which is it?

KayMil01

On the Ice
Yeah I know...I think I read somewhere one time that in some Asian countries (China, Japan etc.) they say the last name's first (anybody know if that's true?) if so, i'd make sense that they kept calling her Kim Yu-Na. At the summer Olympics they were saying the last names first of the Chinese gymnasts too.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
I actually really hate her SP dress this year, but she more than makes up with it with that GORGEOUS LP dress. Best dress she's ever had, IMO. Red looks great on her, and I love the gold accents. I think sometimes gold on red can look cheap, but this dress is just perfect.

fourclover

On the Ice
I liked Yu-na's both LP and SP dresses but I like the black SP dress more. I can't wait to see Mao's costume and her skating!

jyshin

On the Ice
Yuna's SP dress reminded me something that Chris and/or Christian from the Project Runway 4 would design. She looked like a Goth Diva :rock:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Makeup artist?

And her makeup!

I wonder if she got a makeup artist, too! I felt that she had more sophisticated makeup than the previous years. Although it would be too strong for everyday life, I really liked her strong eyelines here, which looked so stylish and went so well esp. with the SP costume! Her base make-up also looked nicer than before. It had a more dewy look and had a heavier yet smoother coverage, which gave a more professional look.

BTW, as I saw her modelling, what's interesting is that she could look totally different in various makeups.

cosmos

On the Ice
And her makeup!

I wonder if she got a makeup artist, too! I felt that she had more sophisticated makeup than the previous years. Although it would be too strong for everyday life, I really liked her strong eyelines here, which looked so stylish and went so well esp. with the SP costume! Her base make-up also looked nicer than before. It had a more dewy look and had a heavier yet smoother coverage, which gave a more professional look.

BTW, as I saw her modelling, what's interesting is that she could look totally different in various makeups.

Good question! I am curious, too. Previously, she did her make-up. But, this time, I am not sure. If she did it herself, I would say she really has sense of style.

Mafke

Medalist
Yeah I know...I think I read somewhere one time that in some Asian countries (China, Japan etc.) they say the last name's first (anybody know if that's true?) if so, i'd make sense that they kept calling her Kim Yu-Na. At the summer Olympics they were saying the last names first of the Chinese gymnasts too.

IINM Kim is her family name and Yun-A is her personal name. In Korea she'd be Kim Yun-A.

Usually Koreans reverse the name order when living outside of Korea. Additionally the decision was made that Yu-Na looks better in English (and other non-Korean languages) than Yun-A.

Two final interesting McFactoids: Korean women don't change their names when getting married (meaning the Kims on lost had the same family name before getting married).
Korean parents often give their children names so that there's a shared element in each of the siblings' (or at least same sex siblings') names. For example sisters could by Kyung-ju and Hee-ju (from a Korean soap opera I watchef for a while).

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I love both of Yu-Na's costumes this year!! They are so much more mature and eye-catching than what she had previously. Prior to this, I'd always hated her costumes and felt the pastel colors and girlish-style dresses did absolutely nothing for her. These costumes are beautiful, though. The black SP dress is elegant and dramatic. And the red & gold LP dress is perfect for Scheherazade. (In fact, I am a bit jealous that Michelle didn't have as nice a dress when she skated to this music in 2002!)

^ Naomi Nari Nam's sister is named Naomi Nami Nam.

In the U.S. I think there has been a conscious shift in recent years to become more cosmopolitan by trying to honor the customs of other countries, instead of insisting that eveyone do things the American way.

Same with pronounciations. If you were a French person who moved to the U.S. and your name was pronounced Wah, all of a sudden people would be calling you Roy, like Roy Rodgers. Now I think people are retaining the pronunciation a lot more.

BTW, this came up on the Skate America thread. How do you pronounce Sinead Kerr? Shin-aid, OK, so far so good. (Sinead = Jane; Siobhan (Shi-von), as in Siobhan Karam :love: = Joan.)

But i think you have to be a Scotsman to get the last name right. "Kehr" is a reasonable shot at it, but 60s actress Deborah Kerr was Deborah "Car," and other Kerrs are Curs. I think it also depends on whether your family came from the Highlands or the Border Lands, and whether they sojourned through Northern Ireland or not.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Good question! I am curious, too. Previously, she did her make-up. But, this time, I am not sure. If she did it herself, I would say she really has sense of style.

ITA. Makeup artists do make really a lot of difference even on prettiest models! I have barely been impressed by the makeup that skaters are wearing and have always wished if they could hire ones. Some go to a hair salon to get their hair done. Why not a makeup artist?

But Yuna really looked so stylish with her makeup that went so well with her SP costume, which made me wonder if she had hired someone.

Even without a makeup artist, I would imagine that Yuna might have had a lot of chances to watch their works because she modelled so many times. Besides, there is a lot of information out there in magazines if you are willing to take time to learn all those techniques. Nonetheless I totally agree with you that it takes some artistic sense to actually do it beautifully even with all that information. You need to know what colors and textures would look good on you and what kind of image you would like to create. Furthermore, for those skaters, they also need to expect how they would look with all those lights and through cameras. That's very difficult.

Besides, you would never want to have mascara, eyelines, lip color, and foundation coming off after warmup and the performance.

It is indeed pretty difficult to meet all these conditions. So Yuna would be really talented if she made such a professional look by herself.

CalebsMom

Rinkside
Yu-Na still does her own makeup ( and correct me if I'm wrong). I think she decides how thick a makeup she'll have to wear for the program (ie, Tango de Roxanne vs. Miss Saigon). But (and it's a big but) she can use a little bit more of it for both programs of this season as she wore to pose for the Korean Vogue, IMHO.

Last edited:

Ms.Anthrope

On the Ice
I can't wait to see Mao's costume and her skating!

I'm scared to see Mao's costumes this season since TAT will have much say over them. TAT comes up with some of the most horrid costumes. Did you read on FSU that Evan was too embarrassed to wear a costume designed by TAT?