Is anybody else frustrated by Mira's lack of PCS? | Golden Skate

Is anybody else frustrated by Mira's lack of PCS?

passion

On the Ice
What else can be done to improve her PCS scores? It's as if some skaters have it and some don't. I'm sure she's worked hard, but it doesn't seem to be translating. I think PCS is innate when it comes to interpretation and program execution (eg. Yu Na Kim), but something like skills can definitely be learnt. I think you can learn how to use the knees properly, but it's all part of skating basics. That foundation is so essential as it dictates what kind of skater you become and in Mira's case it seems like she never had that foundation right from the beginning. In the long run, it has really held her back in competitions.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Mira does work hard, but seems to lack "finesse." This may be hurting her overall performance level with the judges.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have noticed that Mira's skating does not relate at all to her music. There are places in the music where a jump should naturally fall, or a spin, but her elements rarely coincide with the right places in the music. I've often seen her get way behind the music and then have to rush to catch up. The judges notice that too, and it affects her PE, TR, CH and IN marks.

Winnipeg

Final Flight
I agree re her music. I find this surprising because doesn't she have musical training at a senior level in piano. She should know where the beats are and how to use them...........................

waxel

Final Flight
Honestly I've never paid too much attention to her- but even I could see she has improved- and I think she was undermarked. However ... to put this delicately ... she could use a stylist ... Skating is part show business ... and her "look" could use some refining.

Winnipeg

Final Flight
Honestly I've never paid too much attention to her- but even I could see she has improved- and I think she was undermarked. However ... to put this delicately ... she could use a stylist ... Skating is part show business ... and her "look" could use some refining.

I agree, a stylist would certainly help but she also has to emote a bit more ( I never thought I would ever say this about a skater as I usually find some too excessive..).

sillylionlove

Medalist
I have to be honest here...I spent most of her performance trying to see if she still had her boots ducktaped together. I didn't really notice anything else. And....I couldn't tell if her boots where ducktaped together (it's hard to tell when they paint the duck tape white) or if she had new boots.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
When i saw Mira's SP on Universal Sports i was like is this the same girl?? Up to the moment when she jumps, she skates very well. The improvments she has made are so many. Nice spirals, even a pearl spin.
I thought that the LP was not as artistic, but not terrible. I prefered her musicality to Mikis.

lcd

Match Penalty
I think a very intriguing work in progress... has most of the ingredients to improve to a considerable extent... a year has obviously made big differences for her physically... the coming year could make for equally impressive progressive in terms of PCS... I'm optimistic.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Mira does work hard, but seems to lack "finesse." This may be hurting her overall performance level with the judges.

:agree:I is a lack of "carrying her body" across the ice ~much in HER defense I say much of that has to do with her new body, and she did fantastic IMO with the new classification, new attention, ..... :agree: She is awesome and a definite favorite.

And to answer the original question , Yes I do but I see why the judges disagree with me.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When i saw Mira's SP on Universal Sports i was like is this the same girl?? Up to the moment when she jumps, she skates very well. The improvments she has made are so many. Nice spirals, even a pearl spin.
I thought that the LP was not as artistic, but not terrible. I prefered her musicality to Mikis.

Apparently the judges didn't see any improvement at all. Mira had the lowest PCS score in the SP, and the third lowest in the FS.

Note the drop in PCS scores from last year's Skate America, despite the TES being the same or higher:

25.52 20.52 5.25 4.90 5.15 5.05 5.30 Leung SP SA 07
25.54 20.20 5.45 4.80 5.15 5.10 4.75 Leung SP SA 08

48.38 44.72 5.75 5.40 5.55 5.75 5.50 Leung FS SA 07
48.90 41.52 5.40 5.10 5.20 5.30 4.95 Leung FS SA 08

The drop in the PCS scores in the FS is especially noticeable, given that her TES improved. The judges are sending a message, and Mira refuses to accept it, given that in an interview she said this was her best performance ever, and she doesn't care about the marks.

Well, one thing for certain. She beat U.S. Champion Mirai Nagasu and former World Champion Kimmie Meissner in the LP.

What else can be done to improve her PCS scores? It's as if some skaters have it and some don't. I'm sure she's worked hard, but it doesn't seem to be translating. I think PCS is innate when it comes to interpretation and program execution (eg. Yu Na Kim), but something like skills can definitely be learnt. I think you can learn how to use the knees properly, but it's all part of skating basics. That foundation is so essential as it dictates what kind of skater you become and in Mira's case it seems like she never had that foundation right from the beginning. In the long run, it has really held her back in competitions.
I have the idea that it's partly choreography. I noticed last season that the complicated choreography that Lori Nichols gave Kimmie in The Feeling Begins forced Kimmie to extend herself artistically and do more in-betweens. It was very impressive and Kimmie started getting very high PCS scores. (I'm not sure if there was a causal connection but it happened.) Mira's choreography is Dullsville.

skatefancan

Rinkside
I think she has improved tremendously....she is carrying herself so much better...with a sense of maturity and softness. Even her transitioning into jumps has improved. I do agree her PCS was too low. I also think she needs to leave Joanne as a choreographer....and maybe go to Lori Nichol or David Wilson...they will help to push her. Maybe even leaving Joanne as a coach...Joanne i think has done all she can for her.

Winnipeg

Final Flight
The drop in the PCS scores in the FS is especially noticeable, given that her TES improved. The judges are sending a message, and Mira refuses to accept it, given that in an interview she said this was her best performance ever, and she doesn't care about the marks.[/QUOTE]

Not caring about the marks and wanting to win seem like an oxymoron to me. Then again, maybe she does not care about winning and is having fun out there. If she wants to be on the podium she should think that if this was her best performance, great that is a step, but what does she need to do within the COP to get those scores w/i a podium reach?

passion

On the Ice
The drop in the PCS scores in the FS is especially noticeable, given that her TES improved. The judges are sending a message, and Mira refuses to accept it, given that in an interview she said this was her best performance ever, and she doesn't care about the marks.

Not caring about the marks and wanting to win seem like an oxymoron to me. Then again, maybe she does not care about winning and is having fun out there. If she wants to be on the podium she should think that if this was her best performance, great that is a step, but what does she need to do within the COP to get those scores w/i a podium reach?[/QUOTE]

Good point. I was surprised that she doesn't care about the scores, but she cares about the placement (podium). I think in order to get to the podium she needs to care about the scores and analyze them. It's obvious the PCS is what mainly brought her score down (plus -GOE on some jumps). So, what is she going to do about it?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mira's choreography is Dullsville.

It wouldn't be as bad if Mira only took the trouble to execute the elements in sync with the music. I think the judges are being especially hard on her because this is her fifth season in the GP and this is her second year with these same two programs, and there hasn't been much in the way of improvement.

Her skating is still raw and unfinished and her jumps aren't completely rotated. Maybe that was acceptable in a 15-year-old, but not in a 19-year-old.

ks777

Record Breaker
Mira reminds me of Yoshie Onda. She really needs to work on her skating skills, to me she is always on shallow edges.