Stupid scoring, sloppy skating, sweet silence - Phillip Hersh | Golden Skate

Stupid scoring, sloppy skating, sweet silence - Phillip Hersh

fiercemao

Match Penalty
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/2008/10/stupid-scoring.html

3. It is painful to watch Kimmie Meissner's continued struggles — one fall in the short program, two in the long. And while one of her new coaches, Todd Eldredge, told me two weeks ago Meissner would be a "work in progress" at Skate America, there seemed little progress for this 19-year-old who won Skate America last year but was 8th over the weekend. Meissner is one of the nicest people in the sport, and everyone hopes she can regain the level that made her 2006 world champion. But no one wants to watch Meissner torture herself for the 15 months between now and the 2010 Olympic trials.

4. A sore ankle and a growth spurt made reigning U.S. champion Mirai Nagasu a non-contender at Skate America, but the older, more mature looking Nagasu still may be the best U.S. bet to challenge the world's top skaters over the next two seasons. Nagasu has that undefineable quality that keeps your eyes riveted to her.

5. U.S. skating's other "it" girl over the past two seasons, Caroline Zhang, makes her senior Grand Prix debut next week at Skate Canada, where the field is not as strong as it was at Skate America. Zhang struggled once the spotlight was on her last year, finishing fourth at nationals and losing her world junior title to Nagasu.
11. NBC commentators Sandra Bezic and Scott Hamilton sniped at the scoring system in Sunday's telecast. One can only hope they will turn that criticism into a full frontal assault at the next two U.S. Championships, the 2009 worlds and the 2010 Olympics. After all, it was their hysterical reaction to the pairs result at the 2002 Olympics that brought the wrath of the IOC down on International Skating Union president Ottavio Cinquanta and inadvertently led to the mess we have today. Maybe that can happen again. (Not a mess, a clean-up).

feraina

Record Breaker
Hersh's attitude is grating.

But not everything he says is completely stupid, just some... :p

Oh, and if he can't be objective, at least he should keep his facts straight. Caroline lost her JW title to Rachael not Mirai, who faltered much more than Caroline there. Caroline lost by less than a point on a borderline downgraded 3R. And why did he completely ignore Rachael, who skated much better than Mirai at SA (not to mention beat her out at JW)??

Last edited:

Nigel

On the Ice
Hersh's attitude is grating.

But not everything he says is completely stupid, just some... :p

Oh, and if he can't be objective, at least he should keep his facts straight. Caroline lost her JW title to Rachael not Mirai, who faltered much more than Caroline there. Caroline lost by less than a point on a borderline downgraded 3R. And why did he completely ignore Rachael, who skated much better than Mirai at SA (not to mention beat her out at JW)??

Because Flatt is usually under the radar for just about everyone.

MissIzzy

Final Flight

Could someone please fire this guy for incompetence?
Before Worlds, because you know, we're in serious danger of not winning any medals at that event, and that'll be painful enough without him using it to crow further.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I just left a nasty comment in the comments section of the article to CHECK HIS FACTS.

Medusa

Record Breaker
There are three serious mistakes in the article. Quite impressive.
11. NBC commentators Sandra Bezic and Scott Hamilton sniped at the scoring system in Sunday’s telecast. One can only hope they will turn that criticism into a full frontal assault at the next two U.S. Championships, the 2009 worlds and the 2010 Olympics. After all, it was their hysterical reaction to the pairs result at the 2002 Olympics that brought the wrath of the IOC down on International Skating Union President Ottavio Cinquanta and inadvertently led to the mess we have today. Maybe that can happen again. (Not a mess, a cleanup).
But this part was also lamented among GS-posters...

I think the goal of the CoP is to make figure skating "more like other sports."

I agree with critics like Sonia Bianchetti and Janet Lynn who contend that it has done so. :cry:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Don't you just love "arm chair experts"? Okay let's see this guy put on his skates and try a flying camel spin at the end of the rink. We will see how far his comments take him....:chorus:

tae04

On the Ice
I don't disagree with his comments. I was very bored with Skate America. Skating is just not what it used to be just even 5 years ago. Its the same programs, spins, spirals, and sloppy skating with this system. It just isn't fun to watch. I don't like how they just call the total score now. They could at least break down the scores and PCS.

Now normal tv viewers are left with like 3 televised events for the year. The sport is slowly dying.