Practice Reports | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Practice Reports

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kurt had knee surgery right before Skate America, hopefully his recovery is going well...

I adore Don Laws... thanks for the reports, F_F!

in all fairness he is JUST as popular here in the US... of course he wasn't in disguise at nationals 2006, but he was still glomped on every chance people could. He's just such a presense and you know that he is genuine when you meet him.

I think it's unfair to suggest this board (or American/other countries) are all about the ladies. There are quite a few members who would rather talk about men or ice dance or pairs than ladies. Myself included. It just seems the ladies are the ones that end up with the most innane debates that go on for years... though Johnny and Evan are doing their best to change that! :laugh:

Last edited:

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Other interesting fact, Zamboni guys are unionised in Scotiabank and were really against hosting a skating event. Apparently, the management had a hard time getting them to agree with them to host Skate Canada International at Scotia Bank, as the ice guys perceived it is not a man's job to run a zamboni after figure skaters. Zamboni guys told the management that they are not there to clean up after "girly" sequence and spangles.

:sheesh: :rolleye: Those guys clearly need a lesson on gender "roles" and that cleaning up sequins and spangles doesn't automatically make them "gay." (And they also need to be taught that there's nothing wrong with that, either.) I really can't stand people who are close-minded like that. :mad:

in all fairness he is JUST as popular here in the US... of course he wasn't in disguise at nationals 2006, but he was still glomped on every chance people could. He's just such a presense and you know that he is genuine when you meet him.

I have noticed that Kurt is greatly admired in the US. :)

It just seems the ladies are the ones that end up with the most innane debates that go on for years... though Johnny and Evan are doing their best to change that! :laugh:

:biggrin: I find the Johnny/Evan rivalry to be just as fascinating as anything that happens in Canadian men's figure skating. After Jeff Buttle retired, Johnny became my favourite, and this is the first season where my strongest cheers are for a non-Canadian (like at SA, I was rooting for both Johnny and Shawn Sawyer, but it was the former that I cared most about).

I didn't mean to say that American fans only cared about the ladies, but I do think they get the most attention (just like the men do in Canada).

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I didn't mean to say that American fans only cared about the ladies, but I do think they get the most attention (just like the men do in Canada).

that's not the fan's fault... the us ladies have the most success in skating - same with your guys...

that being said just because the media pushes one over the other it doesn't mean that the fans agree (and after four plus years of journalism courses, I've really learned the media is way outta touch with reality)

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Tonichelle;339453 said:
that being said just because the media pushes one over the other it doesn't mean that the fans agree (and after four plus years of journalism courses, I've really learned the media is way outta touch with reality)

I agree that whatever subject(s) the networks decide to highlight may not necessarily reflect reality. However, I still get the impression on this forum (and others) that the ladies' discipline remains the most important to Americans. It's perfectly natural because of the success it has enjoyed, as you've mentioned. There are always exceptions (like yourself), of course, but that doesn't make my generalization completely wrong. ;)

It was nice to see the audience at SA responding so warmly to Shawn Sawyer's beautiful "Amadeus" LP. :agree: I'm curious, how well-liked is he amongst US fans who follow the men's event? (I have no clue how most Americans view our 2nd-tier male athletes).

Since you've studied journalism, I thought you might be interested to know that CBC television chose to air only the SA men's and pairs competitions. They made a big deal about the Johnny/Evan rivalry; in fact, the commentators spent a lot more time talking about them than the Canadian competitors!

Last edited:
I don't think he is very well known. I never watched him skate before SA although I'd seen pix of his spirals. But I'm very aware of him after "Amadeus."

Mea culpa! I'll try to make up for it if I can find a way to watch SC. :banging:

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
He doesn't get coverage here in the US - so it'd be hard to really judge. I've seen him thanks to some awesme friends of mine in Canada sending me tapes in the past. I honestly don't care much one way or the other about his skating... he's not my cup of tea :)

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
Does anyone know if Icenetwork is going to be posting up practice videos like they did for SA?

lmarie086

Medalist

waxel

Final Flight
Thrilled to hear good news about Davis and White. They are my favorite US ice dance couple.

Also glad to hear that (seemingly) Zhang's practices have gone well.

I have admired Shawn Sawyer in the past - but found his SA LP to be truly exciting. If he could get those jumps consistent there'd be no stopping him. Many other skaters could take note of the way he truly "sells" his program. Again, very exciting.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don't think he is very well known. I never watched him skate before SA although I'd seen pix of his spirals. But I'm very aware of him after "Amadeus."

Mea culpa! I'll try to make up for it if I can find a way to watch SC. :banging:

Ah, so that's why you're hoping Shawn will win the silver medal at SC! ;) I suspected that he gained a few American fans after that performance; it's great to see that I was right! I'm certain he can do Top 5 at this event, but if enough guys have meltdowns and he stays on his feet (aside from the constant 2-footing/UR of his 3-Axel and the 2-footing of his 3-lutz), I predict he'll nab a bronze. Highly unlikely, but that's what I'm rooting for!

I have admired Shawn Sawyer in the past - but found his SA LP to be truly exciting. If he could get those jumps consistent there'd be no stopping him. Many other skaters could take note of the way he truly "sells" his program. Again, very exciting.

I categorize him as a skater that I "really like" (as opposed to "love"), but at least when he skated to "Amadeus", my heart turned to mush. :love: I agree that this program is a step up for him artistically.

Shawn has been struggling with the 3-Axel and the 3-lutz for ages. If he hasn't fixed them by this point, I have a bad feeling that he never will. :banging: It's a real shame; I agree that he can go far with more solid jumps in his back pocket. Now that Jeff Buttle has retired, Shawn is essentially the #2 man in Canada, but I have serious doubts that he'll be able to make the World team next year. :frown: He can only succeed when enough of his competitors falter.

Is it just me or has he become significantly more handsome this season? :biggrin: I've always found him to be mildly attractive, but at SA, I couldn't stop staring at him, especially in his simple-yet-sexy "Amadeus" costume. :cool:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Ah, so that's why you're hoping Shawn will win the silver medal at SC! ;) I suspected that he gained a few American fans after that performance; it's great to see that I was right! I'm certain he can do Top 5 at this event, but if enough guys have meltdowns and he stays on his feet (aside from the constant 2-footing/UR of his 3-Axel and the 2-footing of his 3-lutz), I predict he'll nab a bronze. Highly unlikely, but that's what I'm rooting for!

I categorize him as a skater that I "really like" (as opposed to "love"), but at least when he skated to "Amadeus", my heart turned to mush. :love: I agree that this program is a step up for him artistically.

Shawn has been struggling with the 3-Axel and the 3-lutz for ages. If he hasn't fixed them by this point, I have a bad feeling that he never will. :banging: It's a real shame; I agree that he can go far with more solid jumps in his back pocket. Now that Jeff Buttle has retired, Shawn is essentially the #2 man in Canada, but I have serious doubts that he'll be able to make the World team next year. :frown: He can only succeed when enough of his competitors falter.

Is it just me or has he become significantly more handsome this season? :biggrin: I've always found him to be mildly attractive, but at SA, I couldn't stop staring at him, especially in his simple-yet-sexy "Amadeus" costume. :cool:

Jeff's 3Lz and 3A weren't very consistent, either. But he became a world champ. Hope Shawn gets faster in his skating and becomes better at steps. Then he can do the Jeffrey Buttle.

I can't speak comparatively but he sure looked handsome to me in Amadeus. Great haircut!

I'm quite sure he has new US fans after that SA skate - you could hear the audience was with him. I'm always hopeful, and though I do recognize that his record indicates he might be something like the Alissa Czisny of Canadian men, my heart believes that now he's tasted success, he'll find a way to kick it up a notch and keep it there. Similarly with Jeremy Abbott - another wonderfully gifted skater who only really established himself last season, at a rather late age. With both (or all three counting Alissa) time will tell but they already have enthusiastic and discerning fans.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Jeff's 3Lz and 3A weren't very consistent, either. But he became a world champ. Hope Shawn gets faster in his skating and becomes better at steps. Then he can do the Jeffrey Buttle.

It's true that Jeff had consistency problems, but at least he was able land them cleanly sometimes. Shawn has NEVER done a clean 3-Axel in competition (although I did see him land a couple of wobbly ones in the warm-up), and he misses his 3-lutz very often. He'll turn 24 in January, so it's worrisome that those 2 jumps remain quite elusive. :frown:

However, now that I've experienced "Amadeus" live, I'm 100% confident that he will make the World team. :) He has totally converted me after that magical performance. :bow: I firmly believe that we're witnessing the dawn of a new Shawn Sawyer. He has proven to the world that when he brings his A-game to the table, he can beat other guys with quads and 3-Axels because the quality of his other elements are exquisite. He's still not in full control of his destiny because of his chronic jump issues, but competition is competition, and if others make mistakes, he can pull off a Jeff Buttle and come out ahead. :yes:

I can't speak comparatively but he sure looked handsome to me in Amadeus. Great haircut!

Shawn is even MORE beautiful in person!!! :love: I couldn't stop blushing while I stared at him as he signed autographs. :p

I'm quite sure he has new US fans after that SA skate - you could hear the audience was with him. I'm always hopeful, and though I do recognize that his record indicates he might be something like the Alissa Czisny of Canadian men, my heart believes that now he's tasted success, he'll find a way to kick it up a notch and keep it there. Similarly with Jeremy Abbott - another wonderfully gifted skater who only really established himself last season, at a rather late age.

I can imagine the crowd in Los Angeles would SO supportive of Shawn when (and it's definitely "when", not "if" ;)) he competes at the 2009 Worlds! :clap: Kurt Browning interviewed him on CBC the day after the SC Men's LP, and he observed that Shawn seemed much more confident then ever before. :agree: In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he gave Patrick Chan a run for his money at the Canadian Nationals.

I ADORE Jeremy, too! :rock: He's my pick for the CoC champion. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
It's true that Jeff had consistency problems, but at least he was able land them cleanly sometimes. Shawn has NEVER done a clean 3-Axel in competition (although I did see him land a couple of wobbly ones in the warm-up), and he misses his 3-lutz very often. He'll turn 24 in January, so it's worrisome that those 2 jumps remain quite elusive. :frown:

However, now that I've experienced "Amadeus" live, I'm 100% confident that he will make the World team. :) He has totally converted me after that magical performance. :bow: I firmly believe that we're witnessing the dawn of a new Shawn Sawyer. He has proven to the world that when he brings his A-game to the table, he can beat other guys with quads and 3-Axels because the quality of his other elements are exquisite. He's still not in full control of his destiny because of his chronic jump issues, but competition is competition, and if others make mistakes, he can pull off a Jeff Buttle and come out ahead. :yes:

Shawn is even MORE beautiful in person!!! :love: I couldn't stop blushing while I stared at him as he signed autographs. :p

I can imagine the crowd in Los Angeles would SO supportive of Shawn when (and it's definitely "when", not "if" ;)) he competes at the 2009 Worlds! :clap: Kurt Browning interviewed Shawn on CBC the day after the SC Men's LP, and he observed that Shawn seemed much more confident then ever before. :agree: In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he gave Patrick Chan a run for his money at the Canadian Nationals.

I ADORE Jeremy, too! :rock: He's my pick for the CoC champion. :biggrin:

I did not know that Shawn had never landed a clean 3A in a comp, which indeed is a concern, even though his 3A looked so close at SC. Does he sometimes avoid risking it? Or does he almost always at least try it anyway?

But it is really impressive that he scored way higher than the skaters who landed a clean 3A and/or a clean quad, thanks to his quality excutions and higher levels in his elements. Just as Jeff did at 2008 Worlds, he has proven again that a big trick is not everything.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I did not know that Shawn had never landed a clean 3A in a comp, which indeed is a concern, even though his 3A looked so close at SC. Does he sometimes avoid risking it? Or does he almost always at least try it anyway?

Shawn always goes for a 3-Axel and a 3-lutz in his SPs, but he never does more than 1 of each in his LPs (you'll notice that he doesn't do them in combination and must include two 2-Axels after he runs out of triple jumps.) This is how the story goes for him at almost every competition. Firstly, he screws up at least the 3-Axel, usually the 3-lutz as well, so he always has a bad start in the SP. He'll then make the similar mistakes in the LP, but he's a well-trained athlete and he stays on his feet for the rest of the performance. Depending on how the rest of the field does, he can move up quite nicely in the rankings.

The 2008 Nationals is a good example. In the SP, Shawn 2-footed (but fully rotated) his 3-Axel and singled his lutz, leaving him in 6th place. However, 3 out of the 5 guys ranked above him had meltdows in their LPs, and he was able to nab the bronze. Not enough for the World team (Canada only had 2 spots for the men), but I'm sure he was THRILLED by the result! :party2:

But it is really impressive that he scored way higher than the skaters who landed a clean 3A and/or a clean quad, thanks to his quality excutions and higher levels in his elements. Just as Jeff did at 2008 Worlds, he has proven again that a big trick is not everything.

Shawn is TRULY unique!!! :clap: I could be wrong about this, but I do think he's the only male skater in recent history who has won a free skate at an international competition without a quad attempt, a fully rotated 3-Axel OR even 2nd 3-lutz! :eek: How cool is that??? :cool:

Canadian guys seem to be very good at blowing away the competition without big ticket items! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Yep,

The group of Canadian male artists with no big tricks appears to be the latest trend. Canada used to own Quads- remember Elvis Stojko. He was DA MAN!!!

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yep,
The group of Canadian male artists with no big tricks appears to be the latest trend. Canada used to own Quads- remember Elvis Stojko. He was DA MAN!!!

Don't forget that Canada owns the quad again thanks to Kevin Reynolds! :rock: (This is the 3rd time he has been forgotten in a discussion, poor boy! :p) And of course Kurt Browning will always be remembered as the first man to land a clean one.

But it's true that our current shining stars are the quadless (and very good-looking!) "artistes" (I like to use the French equivalent when describing skaters who are especially musical ;)). Another guy to look out for in the near future is Fedor Andreev. Thanks to (what looked like to be) a career-ending back injury which kept him out of the sport for 3 years, I'm certain he'll never try the quad again.

But now that he's back with a vengeance after being *this* close to quitting during the summer AND he has CoP-friendly programs designed by the CoP god himself (i.e. Jeff Buttle!!!), I just "know" that Fedor will MURDER the competition and turn everyone into a bloody pulp with his KILLER looks and KILLER routines! :biggrin:

Last edited: