Tarasova costumes | Golden Skate

Tarasova costumes

Bennett

Record Breaker
I am a bit curious how Tarasova has been doing with costume designing/advising.

As far as I know, she has had some unpopular costumes. But I believe that she has had very popular ones, too.

Which of her Tarasova costumes did you like the best and which ones you didn't like?

Mine are:

Favorites: Mao's last year's light blue SP w/ wings, Oksana Baiul's both costumes at her only Olympics

The one I didn't like: Evan's LP costume

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I'm not sure if I have favorites per se. Yagudin's Olys one, maybe?

An urban legend says she made her ice dance teams to wear seriously fugly outfits in the beginning of a season, improving them steadily from event to event, so that by the end of the season they'd finally wear something decent. That would create an illusion of a drastic progress and affect the marks.

ks777

Record Breaker
I didn't know Tarasova designed Oksana's costumes. That's kinda weird considering that Oksana's coach was Galina Zmievskaya.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I didn't know Tarasova designed Oksana's costumes. That's kinda weird considering that Oksana's coach was Galina Zmievskaya.

Oh, sorry; I actually dont know if she desgined or advised on Oksana's costumes. I just assumed so without confirming it because she was there when Oksana won the Olympics.
Mao's SP costume was surely advised by Tarasova as Mao said so.

Wrlmy

Medalist
If TAT was ever involved in Sasha's dress design, that was her peak fashion memoment.

I'm not sure if I have favorites per se. Yagudin's Olys one, maybe?

An urban legend says she made her ice dance teams to wear seriously fugly outfits in the beginning of a season, improving them steadily from event to event, so that by the end of the season they'd finally wear something decent. That would create an illusion of a drastic progress and affect the marks.

A legend created a few days ago by a wishful Evan fan!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Unlike the Olympic ones, I think that Ilia Kulik had decent Tarasova costumes in season 1996-1997

http://www.kuliks-krew.com/photos/bm/9619832.jpg short programme

http://www.kuliks-krew.com/photos/bm/9620923.jpg fs costume, black version

http://www.kuliks-krew.com/photos/bm/9709335.jpg fs costume, white version

By the way, do not visit the homepage of Ilia Kulik´s Official Fan club, as it has been infected with a virus for quite some time At least that is what my virus-programme is telling me....

Evan Lysacek´s Tarasova costumes are rather awful and I very much hope that they will be changed soon...

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
I liked it when Kulik skated in a white fluffy shirt with black pants in Ex (thought it Liebesträume).

Jhar55

Medalist
Don't like Evans LP custom, guess I don't get the connection with the music. How much say do skaters have in what they wear?

momjudi

On the Ice
Don't like Evans LP custom, guess I don't get the connection with the music. How much say do skaters have in what they wear?

I guess it depends on the skater and how involved they want to be in that part of their skating. I imagine quite a few skaters rather concentrate on the actual skating and trust their designers to come up with appropriate costumes. Some like Johnny design their own costumes but Johnny wants to be a fashion designer after his skating years are over so this is on the job training for him.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I guess it depends on the skater and how involved they want to be in that part of their skating. I imagine quite a few skaters rather concentrate on the actual skating and trust their designers to come up with appropriate costumes. Some like Johnny design their own costumes but Johnny wants to be a fashion designer after his skating years are over so this is on the job training for him.

I guess that sasha also had a lot to say about her costumes because hers always had some distinguished, sophisticated style. Hers costumes always looked very pretty and cool. She was never mistaken in her costumes or makeup as far as I had seen.

OTOH, I feel that Tarasova also would have a lot to say about the whole packages of her students. I suppose that that was why Evan accepted that costume. I read elsewhere that he was a bit surprised that everything was prepared for him whereas he used to want to control himself.

Anyway, I wonder if Tarasova had a lot of inputs to Johnny's or Sasha's choices of costumes.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I liked it when Kulik skated in a white fluffy shirt with black pants in Ex (thought it Liebesträume).

My immediate thought seeing that costume for the first time was something like: Huh, what is that? He has forgotten his shirt home and had to loan one from Tarasova´s wardrobe????

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

Any kind or colour of costume can have a connection to Rhapsody in Blue or that medley of music, in my opinion. There is no rule, LOL. I think though that the costume should be something that will not horrify the audience and spoil the looks of a skater....

Maybe I´m wrong, but I think that Evan´s new sp and lp costumes are not bringing him good luck nor does he look like he feels comfortable in them. Evan, do change them for the rest of season, pleeease. I´m though satisfied with the choreographies Tarasova has created for him, just hoping that some adjustments will be made by Lorrie (sp?) to get a couple levels to be higher in future.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Yag's Winter Costume and his Revolution Etude (if she designed it) other than that?....

I think though that the costume should be something that will not horrify the audience and spoil the looks of a skater....
Quite so. Evan should get a costume deduction for his LP. The costume is so bizarre it definitely distracts the audience from his performance.