Pairs Long | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Pairs Long

fiercemao

Match Penalty
Strange. I was actually drawn into D&D's long program. I am in no way a D&D fan. maybe it's because of the audience?

Audrey19

On the Ice
Agree about D&D, didn't like their FS too much either, but I still preferred it over K&S. I thought I would get used to them within time, but apparently not. They are so not matching each other, it's incredible. And that program was so boring, it was like nothing happened at all, and what happened looked awful. And those costumes - just horrible. Especially for her skinny body type.
I was impressed by M&B though, it was the first time I saw them and I really enjoyed their perfomance despite the mistakes. Looking forward to seeing them with a clean skate! :rock:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Cograts, Yuko & Sasha! :clap:

Not a skate of their lives, still enough for a gold.

oleada

Record Breaker
I think that Yuko & Sasha did enough to stay ahead. I definitely agree with the person who said that the fall between Keauna and Yuko affected their performances, particularly Keauna.

Not a great free skate, overall.

My favorites today were Kirkland & Radford. They have great potential :rock: Ingo Steuer had turned out to be a great choreographer for pairs - their program was really well done.

fiercemao

Match Penalty
I think that Yuko & Sasha did enough to stay ahead. I definitely agree with the person who said that the fall between Keauna and Yuko affected their performances, particularly Keauna.

Not a great free skate, overall.

My favorites today were Kirkland & Radford. They have great potential :rock: Ingo Steuer had turned out to be a great choreographer for pairs - their program was really well done.

I'm not sure. I think she is a very very weak jumper. She's always 16 year old? but can't land any triple jump and throws are also shaky. Jumps are big point getters these days, at least you need some foundation to build upon to be a contender.

There was no WOW in any of the major couples.

K&S are standared Moskvina which is what one expects. Very nicely done and very carefully. However, Ms K, to me, looks what we used to call, dead weight. She gives nothing to Mr. S's lifts. While she is making the throws, she is landing and flowing out with bent back instead of chest high. They need something more explosive.

Dube and Davison, again looked very nice and comfortable. but not particularly special. However, they work together much more than K&S.

One problem I find in Pairs is that teams are now ending their programs with Pairs Spins which, to me, are the dullest, ugliest elements in the whole of Pairs Skating programs, and comboing them, makes them look worse.

McL/Bru need to go back to LeeAnn and work on timing. It's nice to have speed but timing is more important musially. They seemed, to me, to be ending some elements too soo and waiting for the music.

I was impressed with Canada's lesser two Pairs. There is talent there.

Vincero

Rinkside
I'm not sure. I think she is a very very weak jumper. She's always 16 year old? but can't land any triple jump and throws are also shaky. Jumps are big point getters these days, at least you need some foundation to build upon to be a contender.

Well, I think the placements of the teams were right, but in terms of the program, I thought the two Canadian teams in the first group were the best. I found it more interesting than the medalists' choreo.

And ouch, that was one nasty crash between Yuko and Keauna.

lmarie086

Medalist
PAIRS FREE SKATE -taken from isu.org
1 Jessica DUBE / Bryce DAVISON CAN 116.40 60.16 56.24 7.15 6.85 7.10 7.05 7.00 0.00 6
2 Yuko KAWAGUCHI / Alexander SMIRNOV RUS 111.95 54.99 56.96 7.10 6.90 7.20 7.20 7.20 0.00 8
3 Keauna McLAUGHLIN / Rockne BRUBAKER USA 100.85 47.49 53.36 6.95 6.45 6.60 6.75 6.60 0.00 7
4 Mylene BRODEUR / John MATTATALL CAN 98.38 54.38 44.00 5.95 5.05 5.70 5.50 5.30 0.00 3
5 Tiffany VISE / Derek TRENT USA 94.58 50.06 45.52 5.85 5.45 5.75 5.80 5.60 1.00 5
6 Rachel KIRKLAND / Eric RADFORD CAN 91.58 49.58 42.00 5.45 5.25 5.20 5.45 4.90 0.00 2
7 Amanda EVORA / Mark LADWIG USA 91.10 50.74 41.36 5.60 4.85 5.15 5.25 5.00 1.00 1
8 Huibo DONG / Yiming WU CHN 76.33 38.17 40.16 5.55 4.75 4.95 5.10 4.75 2.00 4

FINAL STANDINGS
1 - Yuko KAWAGUCHI / Alexander SMIRNOV RUS 176.97 1 2
2 - Jessica DUBE / Bryce DAVISON CAN 176.54 3 1
3 - Keauna McLAUGHLIN / Rockne BRUBAKER USA 161.51 2 3
4 - Mylene BRODEUR / John MATTATALL CAN 149.14 6 4
5 - Tiffany VISE / Derek TRENT USA 148.52 4 5
6 - Rachel KIRKLAND / Eric RADFORD CAN 141.66 7 6
7 - Amanda EVORA / Mark LADWIG USA 138.14 8 7
8 - Huibo DONG / Yiming WU CHN 127.17 5 8

Edit: Which Canadian couple was it that skated to Gone With The Wind? I really enjoyed them!

fiercemao

Match Penalty
Well, I think the placements of the teams were right, but in terms of the program, I thought the two Canadian teams in the first group were the best. I found it more interesting than the medalists' choreo.

Really? I actually enjoyed D&D's performance today and I am by no means their fan. I hate their SP. I'm surprised that many of you find the choreography of this LP is dull. I may need to rewatch the tape. Maybe it's because of the positive impact on me by the audience's enthusiastic clapping?

I said long time ago K&S' long program was very lame. M&B had a great program and they skated very well at Skate America, but unfortunately they didn't deliver today.

Vincero

Rinkside
Edit: Which Canadian couple was it that skated to Gone With The Wind? I really enjoyed them!

I think it is Mylene Brodeur/John Mattatall. I really enjoyed them too. And the fall on the ending pose was cute. The Eurosport commentators couldn't stop laughing about it.

(BTW, despite the overall quality, I'm very excited since it's the first competition I've ever watched live, even on TV. For some inexplicable reason, they're doing live coverage of the Grand Prix Series in Hong Kong this year (as opposed to ESPN showing clips of the 08 US Nationals in September). And I for one can't be more happy about it.)

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
One problem I find in Pairs is that teams are now ending their programs with Pairs Spins which, to me, are the dullest, ugliest elements in the whole of Pairs Skating programs, and comboing them, makes them look worse.

I don't think that's anything new... :laugh:

gold12345

Medalist
I definitely think the crash between M/B and K/S had something to do with how they performed. Especially M/B who ended up about 14 points under their LP score from a week ago.

What was the crash about? Ahh, it's so frustrating to have no coverage. I hope it gets posted on YouTube or something.

lmarie086

Medalist
What was the crash about? Ahh, it's so frustrating to have no coverage. I hope it gets posted on YouTube or something.

At one point during the warmup Keauna was skating backward and she ended up slamming into Yuko, who I think turned just in time but saw her too late.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
The whole competion was a little blah, but I think that's because it in only November. I felt so upset for McLaughlin & Brubaker. They were still entertaining, but the sort of fell apart. I still think that they have TONS of potential. Dube & Davison's FS grew on me a lot after I saw watched it a second time. The music's not bad, and the choreo is really intricate. Their twist was a mess, but that'll improve with time (I hope). They also seemed a little flat to me today. They needed a little bit more spark, but that wil probably come with time as well. I loved their short, and i'm feeling excited aboyt the long. Tons olf potential, I think. As for the Russians, I liked this program much better than their Love Story. Having said that, the lifts still made me cringe, the choreo was stll dull, and the lack of chemistry was distracting. In the end, I probably would have gone with D/D, but I guess I'm biased, so I'm not complaining. Silver's a great way for them to start the season off.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
I saw virtually nothing in D/D's LP that said "Carmen," until perhaps the very end with the pairs spin. Still no transitions anywhere, and they don't show much relation to one another in the performance. Maybe that will come with time, but I found it very dull.

I agree. The character really did not come through, which is really important, since so many have skated to it so beautifully before. I found it really odd that the most dramatic part of the music came during the pair spin though. And this costume looks just like the one from her SP last season.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada

Give her a chance to get used to her new height. She grew alot over the summer so her timing on the jumps is a bit off. Singles skaters can struggle for a year or so after growing alot in a short time, pairs skaters are no different.
K/R looked good, definatly have potential.