Ladies LP | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
You mean the opposition right?
I seem to remember the Candian Judges giving B/S much, much, much harder marks than the rest of the judges at the Olympics, and there are plenty of cases like that.

Frankly? It ticks me off when one country likes to argue that they don't play the game...

If there is a "home field advantage" in skating, I think it comes from the skaters rather than the judges. Maybe something in the skaters' minds forces them to skate better at home. Maybe it's a 2,000,000 year old instinct that caused our ancestors to defend the cave against saber tooth tigers.

As much as I like Joannie, she doesn’t have a stellar record abroad. She has won just 3 competitions off Canadian soil in her life, .............

.......................... and the last one was 4 years ago. :eek:

R.D.

Record Breaker
If there is a "home field advantage" in skating, I think it comes from the skaters rather than the judges. Maybe something in the skaters' minds forces them to skate better at home. Maybe it's a 2,000,000 year old instinct that caused our ancestors to defend the cave against saber tooth tigers.

As much as I like Joannie, she doesn’t have a stellar record abroad. She has won just 3 competitions off Canadian soil in her life, .............

.......................... and the last one was 4 years ago. :eek:

Well, ain't it lucky for her that the '10 Olympics will be in her back yard. :cool:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know you're trying to show combination jumps but what you really put up were jump sequences. To show jump combinations, you type out jump/jump. jump+jump is a jump sequence which is worth 20% less than a jump combination.

No, the ISU protocols list combination jumps with "+" just as I did, not "/", as can be seen here: http://www.isufs.org/results/gpcan08/gpcan08_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf

A sequence is denoted by "SEQ", not "+".

Well, ain't it lucky for her that the '10 Olympics will be in her back yard. :cool:

Well, it's technically more of Mira Leung's backyard, as she is from Vancouver, British Columbia whereas Joannie is from Quebec. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Well, it's technically more of Mira Leung's backyard, as she is from Vancouver, British Columbia whereas Joannie is from Quebec. :p

Don't you worry dear. The Joannie Cheering Squad led by Captain Canada is going to fly to Vancouver for Olympics.

Singerskater: thanks for the breakdown of the jumping combo marks. Jo has still room to grow. yay!!!

mskater93

Record Breaker
I
As for the planned 2A + 2A (3.5 x 2 x 1.1 = 6.6) sequence, if it's changed to 2A/3L (base mark worth 8.5 X 1.1 because it's passed the half way point making it worth 9.35) Joannie could see an increase of 2.75 just for this jumping pass alone. Joannie actually did 2A + 1A = 3.5 x 0.8 = 4.3 base mark in her program even though she ment to do both 2As. So the real difference would be 5.05. Or Jo could do 2A/3T worth 7.5 x 1.1 = 8.25 with a difference of 1.65 from her planned content but the difference from what she actually did is 3.75.

When did Joannie ever land a 3Lo as the back half of any combination? Please point me to protocols or is this just something you think she could whip out of her...

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't you worry dear. The Joannie Cheering Squad led by Captain Canada is going to fly to Vancouver for Olympics.

:laugh: I know. :biggrin: I was just making a point that Vancouver, B.C. is some 2300 miles from Quebec, not exactly Jo's backyard, but of course all of her fans will be with her in presence and/or in spirit. :love:

Many of the American skaters on the U.S. west coast are in closer proximity to Vancouver than Joannie is.

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
I love how the sequences look when she does them - and they have such nice rhythm that I would miss them, but really Rochette needs the points, so I would think turning them into combos IF she can would be a better bet for her points wise.

Sackie

Medalist
I think with Joannie it's more of a comfort thing! She has been doing that 3/3 seq for a while now and feels comfortable with it. Look how she has struggled with adding the 3F/3T in the short. From all reports she can do them - just not in comps. I really think it's a mind thing or else she would be doing the 3s/3t as a combo and not a seq.

These suggestions to Joannie about changing her sequences into (harder) combos has one problem. I'm sure Joannie can do the math -- but can she do the jumps?

She could also get nore points by doing a triple Axel instead of a double, but... :cool:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Mathman, I said the same thing earlier in this thread - point me to a protocol where Joannie did a + 3Lo as the back of a combination successfullty.

singerskates

On the Ice
When did Joannie ever land a 3Lo as the back half of any combination? Please point me to protocols or is this just something you think she could whip out of her...

I never said that she landed a combo with the last jump being a 3 Loop. I was just pointing out points possibilities that if she managed to do them what she would receive. Note the word possible in the post.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I never said that she landed a combo with the last jump being a 3 Loop. I was just pointing out points possibilities that if she managed to do them what she would receive. Note the word possible in the post.

What is the POSSIBILITY that she's going to learn to land them at this late date in her career? Let's discuss what she CAN do.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Believe me, Joannie has not peaked. She received 124+ COP marks with tiny mistakes and with room for improvement. So the mark you saw her get, isn't the highest potential mark that she can get. Joannie is only going to get better as she nears 2009 ISU Worlds.

I have reason to think that score was inflated a bit. I don't see her scoring that at worlds, for example.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I disagree on what should be changed.

As many people have said, she probably isn't consistent enough on the jump combinations you're suggesting.

I believe Joannie should do the 3T-3T because she has done it several times in the past. I think she has actually landed the 3T-3T cleanly more times in her career (3 times in one season) than the 3T + 3S sequence (which I can only recall her doing cleanly once or twice during the past several seasons). So, in addition to the 3T-3T being worth more points, it also seems like her average grade-of-execution score for that element would be better as well.