View Poll Results: Best female skater at age 15 - 16?

Voters
242. You may not vote on this poll
  • Michelle Kwan

54 22.31%
  • Tara Lipinsky

17 7.02%
  • Mao Asada

80 33.06%
  • Sarah Hughes

1 0.41%
  • Caroline Zhang

10 4.13%
  • Yu-Na Kim

46 19.01%
  • Mirai Nagasu

5 2.07%
  • Miki Ando

6 2.48%
  • Sasha Cohen

9 3.72%
  • Other

14 5.79%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best female skater at age 15 -16.

it's olympic season :D bethissoawesome's Avatar

Best female skater at age 15 -16.

There has always been a lot of debate about young skaters... Tara Lipinsky and Sarah Hughes taking home Olympic Golds so young, Mao not beign eligible for the 2006 Olympics, Caroline and Mirai not being eligible for Worlds this year (possibly causing the US Ladies team to lose a spot for 2009 Worlds).

Who do you think was the best female skater when they were at age 15 - 16?

If you picked other, say who!
    Last edited by bethissoawesome; 07-21-2008 at 01:05 AM.

Tripping on the Podium
    I went with other. At age 16 Sonia Henie had already won three world championships and an Olympic gold medal.

Custom Title
    Mao Asada

Rinkside

yu-na

Look back to yu-na's performance in toyko,07 world.
    She was just 16 years old

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by ayanami24 View Post
    Look back to yu-na's performance in toyko,07 world.
    She was just 16 years old
    i agree and also her free program at the junior worlds 2006!

On the Ice
    Mao Asada is my most favorite figure skater. Mao is a genius of the figure skating. And she is always a brave athlete.
    Mao is Japanese so cool like samurai and Ichiro. And Mao is cute like an angel. Mao is brave like samurai.
    I think her skating skill is the best in the world. And she is a artist on the ice.
    She will be the legend in the future.

Welcome to Golden Skate, Yuriyuri. You'll find a lot of fellow Asada fans here!

...and a bag of chips
    I'm going with Katia Gordeeva. She may not be Sonia Henie, but by sixteen, she had won two World Championships and an Olympic Gold with Sergei.

Custom Title
    i didn't vote. but i don't see how mao can be the best skater at 15-16 when she doesn't do her jumps correctly. if you vote on the hardest jump the axel than it would be her of midori, but if you do the whole package and that includes doing the jumps correctly, right take off/landing/ right edges, carriage, the sense you get when skating to the program . overall impression. it can't be her. but than it is also unfair to compare the skaters under the 6.0 to this new system. why because there are different set of rules. i suspect if they had the new system in the eariler times all the skaters would have packaged their programs to fit it. but since they didn't . you can't compare . or say who is the best.
    this new system they supposedly watch more closely. the old system they took off more for the littlest mistake. mao is getting ding for ur wrong edge take so you cant compare or say she is the best. all 15-16 yrs old are still learning at that age.

Tripping on the Podium mirai_asada's Avatar
    Asada because she won the Grand Prix title at her senior debut, defeating veterans Slutskaya & Arakawa (amazing feat, IMO). During that same season, she also became the first lady to land two 3As during the free skate, and also the first lady to land a 3A at in the SP of an ISU championship.

Kim and Henie comes close too. (:

Custom Title
    as i stated earlier --mao didn't have the right jump technique and the right skating technique. sure she won--but they didn't take off for her urs and skating technique.even back then they was more laxed in juding urs', skating technique, wrong edge takes offs,landings etc.
    michelle had to skate perfect.the right speed,the right height,the right skating technique, the right spins --everything had to be just so for her to win. no other skater not tara,sarah,mao ,oskana, nancy , irina,sasha had to skate perfect.
    if they judged according to the new rules this year where they takeoff for any little thing--will see.
    mao is good--best at15-16 no.
    you have to have the right technique with the right interpretation. at that age it is hard.
    because of theolympics and the hype about her not being able to go.i think inpart was a consolation prize.showing the world the future of figure skating.
    she didn't do those jumps correctly.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fairly4 View Post
    michelle had to skate perfect.the right speed,the right height,the right skating technique, the right spins --everything had to be just so for her to win. no other skater not tara,sarah,mao ,oskana, nancy , irina,sasha had to skate perfect.
    I don't get what you are suggesting. Are you dissing Michelle for skating perfect every time she won, or are you saying judges were harsh on Michelle? I believe in the latter.

Custom Title
    i wasn't dissing michelle , just stating they were more strick with her than with any other skater. even in her only skate under the cop.

Custom Title
    Ok never mind

Loving pairs, dance and figure skating mycelticblessing's Avatar
    Michelle Kwan, cos I loved her 1995-1996 season, and I think that's one of her best seasons ever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast