Anyone Heard This Yags Story? | Golden Skate

Anyone Heard This Yags Story?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I just saw this story on my TSN skating site. Probably it's old news to most of you, but just in case here is the "low down."

Yagudin charged with drunk driving

9/1/2003

AVON, Conn. (AP) - Olympic gold medallist Alexei Yagudin was charged Sunday with drunk driving after being pulled over for speeding.

Yagudin, 23, who trains at the International Skating Center of Connecticut in nearby Simsbury, was driving his 2003 Mercedes when he was stopped by an Avon police officer at about 12:40 a.m. The four-time world champion was charged with operating under the influence of alcohol, travelling too fast and making an improper lane change without signalling.

Yagudin was released on a $250 bail. He is to appear in Hartford Superior Court on Sept. 10.

Sgt. Ronald Welch said an officer saw Yagudin driving at a high speed above the 65 km/h speed limit. He said Yagudin's exact speed was undetermined.

Welch declined to say how police determined Yagudin was intoxicated, whether it was from a blood-alcohol test or a field sobriety exam. He would only say the skater's blood-alcohol content level was above the legal threshold of 0.08.

Police said Yagudin was co-operative. He was released two hours after his arrest.

Yagudin, who was born in Russia, could not be reached for comment. A message was left with his agent.

In 1999, the Russian Skating Federation put Yagudin on probation for one year for improper behaviour during the Champions on Ice tour. Doctors in Russia who examined him rejected speculation Yagudin's disorderly behaviour was caused by heavy drinking.

Yagudin, then 19, was thrown off the Champions tour after cursing a member of the media. Before that, he made off-colour remarks to a security guard at an ice show in New York.

In the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City, Yagudin received four 6.0 scores. No other man in Olympic history ever earned more than one perfect mark.

Yagudin missed last season with a hip injury, but is planning to compete this season.

http://www.tsn.ca/images/stories/20021004/yagudin_64657.jpg[

windspirit

On the Ice
Ladskater said:
I just saw this story on my TSN skating site. Probably it's old news to most of you, but just in case here is the "low down."
It's not only old news (kind of, considering it's recent), but it was also discussed to death here last week.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Guess, I missed it. I was busy last week. Sorry for recycling old news.

All that Jazz

Rinkside
Where've you been? ;)

But when reading your lines first my heart was missing a beat; I was like :rolleye:, hell, what has he done yet again??!!!

Last edited: