Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Predictions!

So, are you saying you believe Kevin Van Der Perren, Ryan Bradley, and Miki Ando should receive outrageous PCS marks just because they are renowned jumpers
    I think Ryan should win it all because he's cute

anyone wanting to predict the outcome of the event? I seem to recall that's what this thread was originally made for.

I'm predicting more of the same in each disipline... this year has been quite interesting in terms of the skating... will Joubert be like all of the other supposed shoo-ins and miss the mark?

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercemao View Post
    Your answer is just based on assumptions, not facts. Do you truly believe MK should receive the same high SS when she returns with only double jumps? Skating is not about prancing around with no jumps
    Laughable.
    Excuse me, which part of my answer is based on assumptions exactly?

Wouldn't YOUR response be more of an assumption when you ASSUME that MK will come back and ASSUME that she will come back with double jumps only? Moreover, why are you ASSUMING that I said skating was about "prancing around with no jumps"?
    Last edited by shine; 11-12-2008 at 02:53 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Excuse me, which part of my answer is based on assumptions exactly?

Wouldn't YOUR response be more of an assumption when you ASSUME that MK will come back and ASSUME that she will come back with double jumps only? Moreover, why are you ASSUMING that I said skating was about "prancing around with no jumps"?
    Your assumption is that the SS of skaters with only double jumps is poor, thus the low PCS. But to justify Joanne should get high SS, you also argue that jumps are not necessary the indicators of SS. Lots of strange twist to justify your assumptions.

My argument is that skaters with low technical content do not deserve high PCS, since the current TES scoring does not fully compensate for skaters who take risks to do difficult elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    anyone wanting to predict the outcome of the event? I seem to recall that's what this thread was originally made for.
    or not. *sigh*

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Your assumption is that the SS of skaters with only double jumps is poor, thus the low PCS.
    Actually, I said skaters doing only double jumps MOST LIKELY are not the ones skating at the elite world level, and naturally their SS wouldn't be high. There are some exceptions to this, so I did not say it as a FACT. If Gordeeva was competing in singles today, I would think she has the ability to generate extremely high PCS even if she only does double jumps, but that is not the NORM in singles skating, and hence you don't expect to see that happen.

But still, technically ANY skater should be able to get high SS if they satisfy all requirements of the SS criteria, regardless of the jumps. That is NOT an assumption, that is a FACT. If you need directions to proof, I will kindly point you to the ISU rule book on PCS criteria.
    But to justify Joanne should get high SS, you also argue that jumps are not necessary the indicators of SS. Lots of strange twist to justify your assumptions.
    To justify that Joannie should get high SS, I have a ton of reasons and never needed THAT to do so. DO NOT put words in my mouth. The reason I said jumps are not a good indicator of SS is because chuckm pointed out that Joannie's skating does not warrant the PCS she received BECAUSE she does not have a harder jump content.
    My argument is that skaters with low technical content do not deserve high PCS
    And I tend to agree. But for all I know, Joannie Rochette does NOT have low techinical content, in jumps or otherwise.

But then I am not very sure how your logic works or how it can be fixed, so I won't try to help you out anymore.
    Last edited by shine; 11-12-2008 at 03:23 PM.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Hey now, if competitions were based on cuteness, then you know Fedor Andreev, Maxim Trankov, Alexander Smirnov, Charlie White, Scott Moir, Jeremy Abbott, Yannick Ponsero, Shawn Sawyer, Kristoffer Berntsson, Andrei Griazev, Sergei Dobrin, Tomas Verner, Bryce Davison, Fabian Bourzat, Craig Buntin, Roman Zaretsky, Robin Szolkowy, Alexander Uspenski, and Adam Rippon would be winning everything in sight. I wouldn't be able to choose between them, so I would award them all GOLD medals! A 19-way tie!

Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    And I tend to agree. But for all I know, Joannie Rochette does NOT have low techinical content, in jumps or otherwise.
    Exactly! She has the full arsenal of triples minus the 3Axel, which NO lady in the world does cleanly on a consistent basis. Yukari is known to consistently under-rotate it or double it and Mao is known to consistently two-foot it, pop it into a double, or fall on it. Joannie does clean 3flip+3toe combos in practices and warm-ups, but has not yet been credited with landing it in competition. In this Olympic cycle since 2007, she is one of the few female skaters in the world who regularly gets credit for landing 5 to 7 triples in a LP. Her technique is known to be stronger and cleaner than many skaters who supposedly have the big name tricks. You don't see Joannie getting called for wrong edge entries or under-rotations the way you do with many other skaters. She scores 60+ in TES for the LP very often.
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 11-12-2008 at 04:24 PM. Reason: merging

Custom Title
    Hey museksk8r, pretty good list!

Custom Title
    Well, people will think whatever they want to think.
    Freedom of thinking. LOL

If the if competitions were based on cuteness, then you know in my case, It’s no competition, Johnny wins every time.

My prediction

Men

1. Joubert ( Because it’s Joubert )
    2. Chan
    3. Kozuka or Alban Preaubert

But whoever wins, I’m fine.

I’m not so crazy for other events but I’m looking forward to seeing Mao Asada and Elene Gedevanishvili ‘s in Ladies. Mukortova/Trankov in pairs.

Yes. I predict the following:
    1. D/S will win in the dance, because they are D/S and it's in France.
    2. Mao will win the ladies, for every obvious reason you can think of.
    3. John Kerr wil look good in his kilt (in the EX).
    4. People will take issue with the PCS of whatever skater they happen to dislike being too high, and the PCS for their favorite being too low.

I consider these four predictions the safest possible bets for TEB, unless John and Sinead do a different exhibition number.

My argument is that skaters with low technical content do not deserve high PCS, since the current TES scoring does not fully compensate for skaters who take risks to do difficult elements.
    They don't get high PC scores. PC scores are based on the Program content.
    A quad for the boys and a 3A for the gals shows more than just skating ability.

Fans of Kwan and Cohen have to realize that that style of skating is no more a winning do. Pretty skating is not reflected in the PC scores; some of it talks about little things like musicality, and reaching out to the audience, but the bottom line is Quads and 3As.

Addicted to handsome, artistic male skaters ;-)
    Funnily enough, I only thought he was slightly above average in terms of looks (although I've always enjoyed his fun programs) before I saw him live at SC. But the guy's charisma is so vibrant that I've developed a major crush on him. I even felt the need to shout out just before he took his opening pose for his LP, "You're hot, Ryan!!!" (I'm usually too shy to do something that "fan girlish"!) I hope he noticed that the Canadian crowd ADORED him as if he were one of our own!

Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I wouldn't be able to choose between them, so I would award them all GOLD medals! A 19-way tie!
    I can only speak for myself, but I consider Fedor Andreev to be most drop dead gorgeous creature to have touched a skating rink. I don't think his beauty is human; he must be the Greek god Eros in disguise! (If you're not familar with Greek mythology, Eros was the god of lust.)

Quote Originally Posted by dancingqueen View Post
    If the if competitions were based on cuteness, then you know in my case, It’s no competition, Johnny wins every time.
    Johnny is very, very, very pretty. In fact, he's currently on my desktop wallpaper!

I said Ryan was *cute* not hot

and I go more with charisma/personality than looks when I look for attractive anyway.
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 11-12-2008 at 10:09 PM.

PJ Kwong's pick

Pj’s Picks (CBCSports.ca commentator):

Ice dance: Isabelle Delobel and Olivier Schoenfelder (FRA)
    Men: Brian Joubert (FRA)
    Ladies: Mao Asada (JPN)
    Pairs: Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy (GER)

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2008/...pected_at.html

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fumie_fumie View Post
    Pj’s Picks (CBCSports.ca commentator):

Ice dance: Isabelle Delobel and Olivier Schoenfelder (FRA)
    Men: Brian Joubert (FRA)
    Ladies: Mao Asada (JPN)
    Pairs: Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy (GER)

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2008/...pected_at.html
    Wow, really going out on a limb, isn't she?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Wow, really going out on a limb, isn't she?
    Of course. yeah, big deal, eh? Doesn't she confirm what you said all along here? Rochette has a snowball in hell chance of beating Mao.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast