Skating Science Development Centre | Golden Skate

Skating Science Development Centre

Thanks for posting this, LadSkater. Hey, everybody, watch this video, it's really cool. It shows Sarah Wheat involved in a study of the mechanics of jumping. They try to analyze which body parts are less than optimally positioned in minimizing the inertial resistance to angular momentum.

Mathman

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
This is just totally cool! I'm always asking those "how does that work" kinds of questions, and this is the sort of information that could really improve my (and everyone else's) skating. It would be awesome to be part of these studies. I give Sarah lots of credit for being able to skate with those 20-something glass balls attached to her! I had a hard enough time not being distracted while skating in a cast for 12 weeks!

Flora MacDonald

Rinkside
Very interesting!

Does this mean we can have Michio Kaku on the next "Sexiest Skater" poll?
Who knew he skated? I'd vote for him.

My old computer just won't do that video although I do see the screen. Anyway, I saw a discussion on the Discovery Channel a couple of years ago. The scientist was saying that certain body types have an advantage in doing the quad. He cited Tim and Sasha with that kind of body.

Is that the same show?

Joe

Joe, it's a pretty long video, and it takes a while to load. If you see the screen, you might be able to see the video if you have enough patience to wait it out.

Flora MacDonald -- Great to see you over here on the new board!

Everybody buy the book "Hyperspace" by Michio Kaku:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...432029?v=glance&s=books&vi=reader#reader-link

But beware. Kaku is a True Believer and zealous proselytizer for String Theory (now referred to as " the Theory formerly known as String.") This is a very beautiful mathematical model for quantum theory which may or may not turn out to have anything to do with the real world.

Mathman

Mathman said:

But beware. Kaku is a True Believer and zealous proselytizer for String Theory (now referred to as " the Theory formerly known as String.") This is a very beautiful mathematical model for quantum theory which may or may not turn out to have anything to do with the real world.

Mathman

Larry - :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I just might buy that book although my math studies ended with calculus.

Joe

Lee

Rinkside
This is the kind of thing my daughter would be interested in. She's just in her first year of Biomechanics at the U of Calgary.

Thanks for the link!