Wow! What happened to Mira Leung? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Wow! What happened to Mira Leung?

nadster

Final Flight
Oh, that's really surprising. She told Meagan Duhamel on Sep. 29 that she got really sick on Sep. 18 and pulled out of a competition (I don't know which one), and she thought that it was a good decision to (be) retried...

Maybe she changed her mind? That'd be great if she's decided to continue skating after all.

I noticed that she pulled out of the Quebec fall competition which happens just before sectionals. Boy she has had so much problems with injuries/sickness. She showed so much promise when she finished 5th in the 2006 nationals.

Lacoste had a rough free skate at sectionals, finishing 10th in that segment and 7th overall. She does qualify for the challenge. Top 8 skaters from Quebec qualify for challenge. Grenier won the sectional competition with a total score ( SP+FS ) of 114.75. Lacoste's total score was only 106.72.. Lacoste skated much better over the summer ( including scores in the 130's) so I wonder if she still feels the effect of the illness that made her skip the fall tune-up competition.

nadster

Final Flight
I don't think Skate Canada can afford to ignore Mira's regression. Remember, these are the SAME programs she was getting much better marks with last season. If she changes programs, you can expect even worse results because she won't be as familiar with them. Anyway, Mira is underrotating nearly all her jumps and she will continue to underrotate no matter what kind of program she skates.

If Skate Canada is still uncertain about Phaneuf, Lacoste and Szmiett, then it would be in SC's best interest to monitor Mira's training closely, all the way through to Nationals. If no improvement is noted, then perhaps it is time to go with someone else for the #2 slot.

Totally agree here. I noticed how some posters ( either on this or other boards) have noticed that there an improved relationship between Mira's new "coach" and Mira compared to the other temporary "coach" she had a few years ago. I would say this is an act and even Mama Leung knows that it has to appear that there is some serious communication going on between Mira and new "coach" even if that conversation means nothing.

Last time SC demanded that Mira go back to Mcleod after her first temporary coach. I am sure this time they will demand that Mira goes to at least a level 3 coach with Mama out the way if she is to continue getting funding if she makes the national team at nationals.

BTW, SC would have been carefully monitoring Mira. All the skaters are carefully monitored frequently.

Up to this year , Mira's problems were ignored because she had no real competition to speak of at nationals. Whether it was Hawker's inconsistency, Phaneuf's growth issues, Samson's inconsistency, Lacoste's injuries, or Duhamel's inability to skate well at nationals ( though Duhamel usually skated well internationally), Mira just had a free ride there. Last year were the first signs of real competition existing for Mira.

Because Mira had no competition, UR's were ignored so that SC would inflate her mark and say "look how great she is" to the world.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Up to this year , Mira's problems were ignored because she had no real competition to speak of at nationals. Whether it was Hawker's inconsistency, Phaneuf's growth issues, Samson's inconsistency, Lacoste's injuries, or Duhamel's inability to skate well at nationals ( though Duhamel usually skated well internationally), Mira just had a free ride there. Last year were the first signs of real competition existing for Mira.

Samson's jumping technique is just bad. No wonder she doesn't have 3t, barely does 3S and flutzes, with that forward lean entry to the jumps. At least, Mira can land even with that bad technique. I honestly think Samson reached the limit. But, who knows?

Lacoste, aha.. upsetting. If it were not for the injuries, she could have been one of the finest jumpers in ladies.

Duhamel, in hindsight, Skate Canada should have given international assignments to Duhamel rather than Mira. She would have more international success than Mira had over the past 3 years.

It would be interesting to see what Skate Canada will or won't do. Usually they are tight-lipped about their management of the national team.

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I'm really surprised at her standings this year. This is an all time low for her. Surely, she must be disappointed by the results. I think she jinxed herself by saying that she wanted to be on the podium. Hopefully she can get it together before nationals so she can go to Worlds. She has really got to take the scores seriously and not brush them off like they don't matter. Look what Joannie did. She looked at her low PCS scores and worked on them with positive results. I think it will be a tough race between Cynthia and Mira at nationals. What are your thoughts?

Maybe Mira has had a growth spurt. This happens to skaters when their body goes through a height change, suddenly jumps they could once master have to be "relearned." It's a strange phenomenon amongst young skaters who progress to the Sr. level. Although Mira has certainly been a Sr. now for quite some time. I hope she does not struggle this season. One would hope with the Olympic year so close she would be ready. This has been Mira's main goal for a number of years now. It would be a shame if she did not make it.

It will be interesting to see what happens at the Canadians this year. We need more talented ladies to step-up-to-the-plate. Let's hope it happens.

nadster

Final Flight
Maybe Mira has had a growth spurt. This happens to skaters when their body goes through a height change, suddenly jumps they could once master have to be "relearned." It's a strange phenomenon amongst young skaters who progress to the Sr. level. Although Mira has certainly been a Sr. now for quite some time. I hope she does not struggle this season. One would hope with the Olympic year so close she would be ready. This has been Mira's main goal for a number of years now. It would be a shame if she did not make it.

It will be interesting to see what happens at the Canadians this year. We need more talented ladies to step-up-to-the-plate. Let's hope it happens.

Mira is 19 so it is very unlikely that her current problems are due to a growth spurt. Those problems usually happen to girls anywhere from 12 to 16 years of age. Mira's technique is at the root of the problem not any body change.

Winnipeg

Final Flight
I must admit, albeit sadly, that Mira has appeared to regress. I can't understand why she does not do someting to improve or quit and get a day job, focusing on her career & keep skating for health and fun.

I mean after all the time, money, effort, pain, etc etc why bother if you are not improving and in fact are regressing??? It seems the time would be better spent focusing on career and future that a sport that will likely not offer her much of a future dollar wise.

She has been called a future Olympic star by one of Canada's former Olympians, IIRC. It's never easy to walk away and that would certainly make it difficult. If nothing else, Mira has been one of the top Canadian women the last couple of years and plays her part in raising the bar for other Canadian skaters.

I don't like it when fans give gratuitous and harsh advice. This is a demanding sport. It couldn't continue if countless young skaters didn't pour their hearts and lives into it. Let's assume they are also smart enough to know when to quit.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I must admit, albeit sadly, that Mira has appeared to regress. I can't understand why she does not do someting to improve or quit and get a day job, focusing on her career & keep skating for health and fun.

I mean after all the time, money, effort, pain, etc etc why bother if you are not improving and in fact are regressing??? It seems the time would be better spent focusing on career and future that a sport that will likely not offer her much of a future dollar wise.

I doubt after 2010 Mira will stick around in the competition arena. The Vancouver 2010 Games have been Mira's goal for a number of years now. Providing she makes it, I just don't see her wanting to compete much longer. I do hope that she has a better season. Some of these posts sound rather negative. I guess we will find out at Canadians.

antmanb

Record Breaker

Well for as long as Canada gets a second spot at worlds, and Mira is competitive for that second spot then there is plenty of reason to keep at it. As much as people rip into her - how many skaters in the world would love to go to compete at worlds? So far Mira has made the cut for the long program every year which is more than a lot of skaters manage - as any of the British men if they'd be happy with that?

Ant

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But at some point (probably after the Vancouver Olympics) Joannie will retire. Once that happens, whoever becomes 2011 Canadian champion may not be able to get 2 spots for Canada.

antmanb

Record Breaker
True enough Chuck, but for now people calling for Mira to retire because she has regressed is pretty much (non) fan stupidity. Phaneuf has yet to attain the level she did a number of seasons ago in her break through senior year. Apprently she should not have to retire because, cmopared to then, she has regressed.

Post 2010 - let's see what happens but for now it's hardly like the canadian women's field has an pool of talent to choose from.

Ant

Winnipeg

Final Flight
I agree you all make good points. However, I believe my point was misunderstood.

First, I was not giving advice. I was asking the question as to why a person would want to invest so much when there are no new milestones to achieve. I was only making an observation, fully respecting it is not my decision to make. If it was me, I'd make a change but I respect Mira for her ongoing dedication and commitment, especially when I read so many negative things about her skating on this, and other, boards.

Second, I agree that many skaters would love to compete at Worlds and just competing there is an admirable goal indeed. However, Mira has already been there and done that. Once achieving the goal of competing at Worlds, I would think a skater would then change the goal to improve placement or podium etc. She has also already attended an Olympics.

Will she improve placement at Worlds or Olympics? If not, or worse, if that placement is likely to go down not up, I am only asking the question why bother when the other goals have been achieved; but I am sure she has her reasons, and I respect it is her decision to make. She has not achieved Canadian CHampion and maybe she is waiting for JR to retire to achieve that goal?

WRT whether SC has another option - this is irrelevant to my original question as to the motivation behind an individual wanting to continue when all the signs say quit, especailly at such a financial and personal cost. I suppose her rationale could be nationalistic in that she continues for SC because there is no-one else sort of as a sacrifice for the common good?

In short, I meant no harm to Mira and wish her much success in whatever choices she makes. :clap::clap:

nadster

Final Flight
True enough Chuck, but for now people calling for Mira to retire because she has regressed is pretty much (non) fan stupidity. Phaneuf has yet to attain the level she did a number of seasons ago in her break through senior year. Apprently she should not have to retire because, cmopared to then, she has regressed.

Ant

The difference though is in attitude and in the reasons for the regressions.

Phaneuf will admit there are things to improve technically in her skating and will work on it. Phaneuf's regression was due to a combination of injuries and the puberty monster. You can see the attitude to improve to the best she can be.

Mira has constantly complained that the UR calls are not justified and that the PCS marks are too low. The reason for Mira's regression has been her unwillingness to admit that there are serious flaws to her skating and the unwillingness to listen to anyone but Mama. Unless one admits their faults, they can't improve.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Second, I agree that many skaters would love to compete at Worlds and just competing there is an admirable goal indeed. However, Mira has already been there and done that. Once achieving the goal of competing at Worlds, I would think a skater would then change the goal to improve placement or podium etc. She has also already attended an Olympics.

Will she improve placement at Worlds or Olympics? If not, or worse, if that placement is likely to go down not up, I am only asking the question why bother when the other goals have been achieved; but I am sure she has her reasons, and I respect it is her decision to make. She has not achieved Canadian CHampion and maybe she is waiting for JR to retire to achieve that goal?

Well unless you try then you never know what you will achieve. What is certain is that if you give up now you will achieve nothing else. I know which one i would choose. The other possibility is - what is there other than skating? It might be that for now being the second best lady in Canada (at least until the next nationals) is enough? Why wouldn't it be? Should Amber Corwin have hung up her skates many years before she did because she wasn't really advancing? Why should the goals move anyway? What if this is as good as it gets, but you're happy to continue?

WRT whether SC has another option - this is irrelevant to my original question as to the motivation behind an individual wanting to continue when all the signs say quit, especailly at such a financial and personal cost. I suppose her rationale could be nationalistic in that she continues for SC because there is no-one else sort of as a sacrifice for the common good?

Well i suppose if mother (who seems to be the worst kind of skating mum) is happy to continue to pay then perhaps the financial side doesn't even enter the equation - what mama wants, mama gets? Maybe Mira is ready to hang up her skates but pressure from her mother, or a desire to please her mother is what keeps her going?

Who knows?

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
The difference though is in attitude and in the reasons for the regressions.

Phaneuf will admit there are things to improve technically in her skating and will work on it. Phaneuf's regression was due to a combination of injuries and the puberty monster. You can see the attitude to improve to the best she can be.

Mira has constantly complained that the UR calls are not justified and that the PCS marks are too low. The reason for Mira's regression has been her unwillingness to admit that there are serious flaws to her skating and the unwillingness to listen to anyone but Mama. Unless one admits their faults, they can't improve.

Ok i can see that but ultimately - i don't think anyone should be saying that a skater should be giving up the sport based on what? Because seemingly people like one skater better than the other?

It may or may not be the case that Mira has a bad attitude towards her skating or that she only listens to her mother instead of a coach. But is it fair to turn round and say she should quit? Is it any fairer than turning to Phaneuf and saying - it seems that you have the right attitude but unfortunately you are simply not talented enough or your body can't cope with this sport so hang up your hat sweetheart - your placements haven't improved in the last couple of seasons?

I think the answer in both cases is no - let them continue until they want to. Critique their skating etc by all means i just don't like fans calling for people to retire just because they think they should - another sideof the same argument is a little like the Michelle/Pluschenko should have stepped aside to give another skater a go argument. I don't buy that one either.

Ant

Winnipeg

Final Flight
Please, I am not 'calling for Mira (or anyone for that matter) to retire. I am simply stating an observation that it seems a high price from many perspectives to continue when you know you are never going to be World or Oly podium material (if you have already achieved the opportunity to participate in the events as a non contender). Having said that, if a person chooses to do that I totally respect their decision.

Mira struck me as a young lady who has many other talents that could be pursued in addition to skating. Ones that may provide a more permanent and solid ground for the future. Another poster stated something about her commitment to pleasing her mother & that may well be a factor, I don't know.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Please, I am not 'calling for Mira (or anyone for that matter) to retire. I am simply stating an observation that it seems a high price from many perspectives to continue when you know you are never going to be World or Oly podium material (if you have already achieved the opportunity to participate in the events as a non contender). Having said that, if a person chooses to do that I totally respect their decision.

Mira struck me as a young lady who has many other talents that could be pursued in addition to skating. Ones that may provide a more permanent and solid ground for the future. Another poster stated something about her commitment to pleasing her mother & that may well be a factor, I don't know.

Sorry Winnipeg - my post wasn't aimed at you per se - i replied to some things that you raised but there are posters in this thread who suggested she quit now because she wasn't advancing.

Also another factor might be (albeit unlikely) that she is improving in practice but when the competition nerves kick in then old habits die hard?

Ant

Winnipeg

Final Flight
Sorry Winnipeg - my post wasn't aimed at you per se - i replied to some things that you raised but there are posters in this thread who suggested she quit now because she wasn't advancing.

Also another factor might be (albeit unlikely) that she is improving in practice but when the competition nerves kick in then old habits die hard?

Ant

No problem! I

sincerely hope she improves and that she is not being unduly pressured. Your point re practice is possible and maybe personal strees is contributing? It must be very difficult if you are dependant on a certain financial resource and that entity wants you to do something other than what you want.....just speculating of course.

I will just be glad when Canada produces another skater (besides Joannie) so we can retire these repititious Mira-bashing threads that pop up after every competition.

Kypma

Final Flight
I will just be glad when Canada produces another skater (besides Joannie) so we can retire these repititious Mira-bashing threads that pop up after every competition.

:agree: Except that it seems like Canada can't find someone to replace her... I'd try, but I'm still working in single jumps and simple spins :p

-Kypma