Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wow! What happened to Mira Leung?

Quote Originally Posted by nadster View Post
    Lacoste is competing at the Quebec senior ladies section this weekend and is leading after the short. She landed a clean triple loop - double toe combo and landed an underrotated triple lutz for a short program score of 47.10.
    Oh, that's really surprising. She told Meagan Duhamel on Sep. 29 that she got really sick on Sep. 18 and pulled out of a competition (I don't know which one), and she thought that it was a good decision to (be) retried...

Maybe she changed her mind? That'd be great if she's decided to continue skating after all.

Quote Originally Posted by nadster View Post
    What I do see is that Mira will have brand new programs come nationals. She always changes her programs at the last minute when she has bad results on the GP as her camp will say simply that the judges don't like her programs instead of addressing the UR calls. Mira always complains that the UR calls aren't fair. If she were falling or popping jumps, she probably would do more to fix them.
    I think she would be faced with slim pickings of choreographers, if she wanted to do that. McLeod has been her choreographer and I believe she has done a decent job considering Mira's lack of artistic talent and the tight time line thrust on to her. So, With McLeod not being a coach/choreographer any more, who is going to spend Christmas eve, Christmas and Boxing day with her for a new program?

Custom Title
    Even with the help of the best choreographer, if you don't have good skating skills to begin with, it won't make much difference. If anything, Mira will struggle even more to skate more difficult step sequence (which I believe are currently level one) and transitions.

In my mind, I think she has come to this point because the ground work was not layed down properly to begin with. It's like a house that was built super fast and the builder could say, "Ta da! Look how fast that house went up". Then a wind storm comes and the house that was built on sand falls to the ground. If Mama Leung and Mira were not so intent on producing a teeny tiny Tara Lipinski, but spent the time to learn the jumps properly, spend time on doing basic edges and turns, and spent the time going through the compeitive levels then I don't think Mira would be in this scenario. Also, I still think Mira should have stuck to her ballet lessons. It could really help her lines and extension, her musicality, and her understanding of movement.
    Last edited by passion; 11-09-2008 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by passion View Post
    If Mama Leung and Mira were not so intent on producing a teeny tiny Tara Lipinski, but spent the time to learn the jumps properly, spend time on doing basic edges and turns, and spent the time going through the compeitive levels then I don't think Mira would be in this scenario
    Right there is the hitting of the nail on the head. That's the main problem. Mira's basic skating skills are horrible and w/out those, there's no way you'd be able to get your footwork skills up to where they need to be at this level/for the marks. Add on the UR jumps and...Sigh!!

It's always amazing to me to read someone else's take on things when we were at the same event. I saw a different Cynthia than someone earlier posted. Is she all the way back yet? No, but she's an awfully long way from where she was at the start of the comeback. The Cynthia at SC wasn't the one I saw at a show in North Bay two years ago and it's not the Cynthia I saw from the coverage of Canadians last year either.

And while they weren't there in the LP, in the Practice earlier that morning, Cynthia landed two beauties of triple lutzes in her run through. One in combination and a solo, as she'd be breaking The Zayak rule w/out that combo obviously. They were completely rotated and were gorgeous!! From what I remember from reports last Canadians, that wasn't happening even in the Practices. Forget the actual program.

I was quite pleased w/what I saw from Cynthia last weekend. The only thing now, may just be getting that competitive edge and confidence back. She is improving though.

Mira OTOH seems to be regressing. ITA w/what a few have said around here, w/the CoC results and most of her jumps being downgraded due to UR jumps, she has no benefit of the doubt to play w/the National judges this time around. Combine that w/how many bridges that her Mama's burned w/SC, judges and whomever's tried to help Mira and, really, who in their right mind *would* want to work w/Mira to attempt to fix things? I can't see it happening.

Sigh...All the potential in the world and...It's just sad. Period!!

Custom Title
    I don't think Skate Canada can afford to ignore Mira's regression. Remember, these are the SAME programs she was getting much better marks with last season. If she changes programs, you can expect even worse results because she won't be as familiar with them. Anyway, Mira is underrotating nearly all her jumps and she will continue to underrotate no matter what kind of program she skates.

If Skate Canada disregards Mira's results in the GP and continues to support Mira at Nationals (ignoring the blatant URs), Mira could well find herself not making the cut for the FS at Worlds (last year, the minimum score to get through was 44 and change). That would be an extreme embarrassment for Skate Canada.

If Skate Canada is still uncertain about Phaneuf, Lacoste and Szmiett, then it would be in SC's best interest to monitor Mira's training closely, all the way through to Nationals. If no improvement is noted, then perhaps it is time to go with someone else for the #2 slot.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    Oh, that's really surprising. She told Meagan Duhamel on Sep. 29 that she got really sick on Sep. 18 and pulled out of a competition (I don't know which one), and she thought that it was a good decision to (be) retried...

Maybe she changed her mind? That'd be great if she's decided to continue skating after all.
    I noticed that she pulled out of the Quebec fall competition which happens just before sectionals. Boy she has had so much problems with injuries/sickness. She showed so much promise when she finished 5th in the 2006 nationals.

Lacoste had a rough free skate at sectionals, finishing 10th in that segment and 7th overall. She does qualify for the challenge. Top 8 skaters from Quebec qualify for challenge. Grenier won the sectional competition with a total score ( SP+FS ) of 114.75. Lacoste's total score was only 106.72.. Lacoste skated much better over the summer ( including scores in the 130's) so I wonder if she still feels the effect of the illness that made her skip the fall tune-up competition.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I don't think Skate Canada can afford to ignore Mira's regression. Remember, these are the SAME programs she was getting much better marks with last season. If she changes programs, you can expect even worse results because she won't be as familiar with them. Anyway, Mira is underrotating nearly all her jumps and she will continue to underrotate no matter what kind of program she skates.

If Skate Canada is still uncertain about Phaneuf, Lacoste and Szmiett, then it would be in SC's best interest to monitor Mira's training closely, all the way through to Nationals. If no improvement is noted, then perhaps it is time to go with someone else for the #2 slot.
    Totally agree here. I noticed how some posters ( either on this or other boards) have noticed that there an improved relationship between Mira's new "coach" and Mira compared to the other temporary "coach" she had a few years ago. I would say this is an act and even Mama Leung knows that it has to appear that there is some serious communication going on between Mira and new "coach" even if that conversation means nothing.

Last time SC demanded that Mira go back to Mcleod after her first temporary coach. I am sure this time they will demand that Mira goes to at least a level 3 coach with Mama out the way if she is to continue getting funding if she makes the national team at nationals.

BTW, SC would have been carefully monitoring Mira. All the skaters are carefully monitored frequently.

Up to this year , Mira's problems were ignored because she had no real competition to speak of at nationals. Whether it was Hawker's inconsistency, Phaneuf's growth issues, Samson's inconsistency, Lacoste's injuries, or Duhamel's inability to skate well at nationals ( though Duhamel usually skated well internationally), Mira just had a free ride there. Last year were the first signs of real competition existing for Mira.

Because Mira had no competition, UR's were ignored so that SC would inflate her mark and say "look how great she is" to the world.

Up to this year , Mira's problems were ignored because she had no real competition to speak of at nationals. Whether it was Hawker's inconsistency, Phaneuf's growth issues, Samson's inconsistency, Lacoste's injuries, or Duhamel's inability to skate well at nationals ( though Duhamel usually skated well internationally), Mira just had a free ride there. Last year were the first signs of real competition existing for Mira.
    Samson's jumping technique is just bad. No wonder she doesn't have 3t, barely does 3S and flutzes, with that forward lean entry to the jumps. At least, Mira can land even with that bad technique. I honestly think Samson reached the limit. But, who knows?

Lacoste, aha.. upsetting. If it were not for the injuries, she could have been one of the finest jumpers in ladies.

Duhamel, in hindsight, Skate Canada should have given international assignments to Duhamel rather than Mira. She would have more international success than Mira had over the past 3 years.

It would be interesting to see what Skate Canada will or won't do. Usually they are tight-lipped about their management of the national team.
    Last edited by fumie_fumie; 11-10-2008 at 07:46 PM.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by passion View Post
    I'm really surprised at her standings this year. This is an all time low for her. Surely, she must be disappointed by the results. I think she jinxed herself by saying that she wanted to be on the podium. Hopefully she can get it together before nationals so she can go to Worlds. She has really got to take the scores seriously and not brush them off like they don't matter. Look what Joannie did. She looked at her low PCS scores and worked on them with positive results. I think it will be a tough race between Cynthia and Mira at nationals. What are your thoughts?
    Maybe Mira has had a growth spurt. This happens to skaters when their body goes through a height change, suddenly jumps they could once master have to be "relearned." It's a strange phenomenon amongst young skaters who progress to the Sr. level. Although Mira has certainly been a Sr. now for quite some time. I hope she does not struggle this season. One would hope with the Olympic year so close she would be ready. This has been Mira's main goal for a number of years now. It would be a shame if she did not make it.

It will be interesting to see what happens at the Canadians this year. We need more talented ladies to step-up-to-the-plate. Let's hope it happens.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    Maybe Mira has had a growth spurt. This happens to skaters when their body goes through a height change, suddenly jumps they could once master have to be "relearned." It's a strange phenomenon amongst young skaters who progress to the Sr. level. Although Mira has certainly been a Sr. now for quite some time. I hope she does not struggle this season. One would hope with the Olympic year so close she would be ready. This has been Mira's main goal for a number of years now. It would be a shame if she did not make it.

It will be interesting to see what happens at the Canadians this year. We need more talented ladies to step-up-to-the-plate. Let's hope it happens.
    Mira is 19 so it is very unlikely that her current problems are due to a growth spurt. Those problems usually happen to girls anywhere from 12 to 16 years of age. Mira's technique is at the root of the problem not any body change.

Custom Title
    I must admit, albeit sadly, that Mira has appeared to regress. I can't understand why she does not do someting to improve or quit and get a day job, focusing on her career & keep skating for health and fun.

I mean after all the time, money, effort, pain, etc etc why bother if you are not improving and in fact are regressing??? It seems the time would be better spent focusing on career and future that a sport that will likely not offer her much of a future dollar wise.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    She has been called a future Olympic star by one of Canada's former Olympians, IIRC. It's never easy to walk away and that would certainly make it difficult. If nothing else, Mira has been one of the top Canadian women the last couple of years and plays her part in raising the bar for other Canadian skaters.

I don't like it when fans give gratuitous and harsh advice. This is a demanding sport. It couldn't continue if countless young skaters didn't pour their hearts and lives into it. Let's assume they are also smart enough to know when to quit.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnipeg View Post
    I must admit, albeit sadly, that Mira has appeared to regress. I can't understand why she does not do someting to improve or quit and get a day job, focusing on her career & keep skating for health and fun.

I mean after all the time, money, effort, pain, etc etc why bother if you are not improving and in fact are regressing??? It seems the time would be better spent focusing on career and future that a sport that will likely not offer her much of a future dollar wise.
    I doubt after 2010 Mira will stick around in the competition arena. The Vancouver 2010 Games have been Mira's goal for a number of years now. Providing she makes it, I just don't see her wanting to compete much longer. I do hope that she has a better season. Some of these posts sound rather negative. I guess we will find out at Canadians.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnipeg View Post

Well for as long as Canada gets a second spot at worlds, and Mira is competitive for that second spot then there is plenty of reason to keep at it. As much as people rip into her - how many skaters in the world would love to go to compete at worlds? So far Mira has made the cut for the long program every year which is more than a lot of skaters manage - as any of the British men if they'd be happy with that?

Ant

Custom Title
    But at some point (probably after the Vancouver Olympics) Joannie will retire. Once that happens, whoever becomes 2011 Canadian champion may not be able to get 2 spots for Canada.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast