Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Wow! What happened to Mira Leung?

  1. #31
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913
    True enough Chuck, but for now people calling for Mira to retire because she has regressed is pretty much (non) fan stupidity. Phaneuf has yet to attain the level she did a number of seasons ago in her break through senior year. Apprently she should not have to retire because, cmopared to then, she has regressed.

    Post 2010 - let's see what happens but for now it's hardly like the canadian women's field has an pool of talent to choose from.

    Ant

  2. #32
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    629
    I agree you all make good points. However, I believe my point was misunderstood.

    First, I was not giving advice. I was asking the question as to why a person would want to invest so much when there are no new milestones to achieve. I was only making an observation, fully respecting it is not my decision to make. If it was me, I'd make a change but I respect Mira for her ongoing dedication and commitment, especially when I read so many negative things about her skating on this, and other, boards.

    Second, I agree that many skaters would love to compete at Worlds and just competing there is an admirable goal indeed. However, Mira has already been there and done that. Once achieving the goal of competing at Worlds, I would think a skater would then change the goal to improve placement or podium etc. She has also already attended an Olympics.

    Will she improve placement at Worlds or Olympics? If not, or worse, if that placement is likely to go down not up, I am only asking the question why bother when the other goals have been achieved; but I am sure she has her reasons, and I respect it is her decision to make. She has not achieved Canadian CHampion and maybe she is waiting for JR to retire to achieve that goal?

    WRT whether SC has another option - this is irrelevant to my original question as to the motivation behind an individual wanting to continue when all the signs say quit, especailly at such a financial and personal cost. I suppose her rationale could be nationalistic in that she continues for SC because there is no-one else sort of as a sacrifice for the common good?

    In short, I meant no harm to Mira and wish her much success in whatever choices she makes.

  3. #33
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    True enough Chuck, but for now people calling for Mira to retire because she has regressed is pretty much (non) fan stupidity. Phaneuf has yet to attain the level she did a number of seasons ago in her break through senior year. Apprently she should not have to retire because, cmopared to then, she has regressed.

    Ant
    The difference though is in attitude and in the reasons for the regressions.

    Phaneuf will admit there are things to improve technically in her skating and will work on it. Phaneuf's regression was due to a combination of injuries and the puberty monster. You can see the attitude to improve to the best she can be.

    Mira has constantly complained that the UR calls are not justified and that the PCS marks are too low. The reason for Mira's regression has been her unwillingness to admit that there are serious flaws to her skating and the unwillingness to listen to anyone but Mama. Unless one admits their faults, they can't improve.

  4. #34
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnipeg View Post
    Second, I agree that many skaters would love to compete at Worlds and just competing there is an admirable goal indeed. However, Mira has already been there and done that. Once achieving the goal of competing at Worlds, I would think a skater would then change the goal to improve placement or podium etc. She has also already attended an Olympics.

    Will she improve placement at Worlds or Olympics? If not, or worse, if that placement is likely to go down not up, I am only asking the question why bother when the other goals have been achieved; but I am sure she has her reasons, and I respect it is her decision to make. She has not achieved Canadian CHampion and maybe she is waiting for JR to retire to achieve that goal?
    Well unless you try then you never know what you will achieve. What is certain is that if you give up now you will achieve nothing else. I know which one i would choose. The other possibility is - what is there other than skating? It might be that for now being the second best lady in Canada (at least until the next nationals) is enough? Why wouldn't it be? Should Amber Corwin have hung up her skates many years before she did because she wasn't really advancing? Why should the goals move anyway? What if this is as good as it gets, but you're happy to continue?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winnipeg View Post
    WRT whether SC has another option - this is irrelevant to my original question as to the motivation behind an individual wanting to continue when all the signs say quit, especailly at such a financial and personal cost. I suppose her rationale could be nationalistic in that she continues for SC because there is no-one else sort of as a sacrifice for the common good?
    Well i suppose if mother (who seems to be the worst kind of skating mum) is happy to continue to pay then perhaps the financial side doesn't even enter the equation - what mama wants, mama gets? Maybe Mira is ready to hang up her skates but pressure from her mother, or a desire to please her mother is what keeps her going?

    Who knows?

    Ant

  5. #35
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by nadster View Post
    The difference though is in attitude and in the reasons for the regressions.

    Phaneuf will admit there are things to improve technically in her skating and will work on it. Phaneuf's regression was due to a combination of injuries and the puberty monster. You can see the attitude to improve to the best she can be.

    Mira has constantly complained that the UR calls are not justified and that the PCS marks are too low. The reason for Mira's regression has been her unwillingness to admit that there are serious flaws to her skating and the unwillingness to listen to anyone but Mama. Unless one admits their faults, they can't improve.
    Ok i can see that but ultimately - i don't think anyone should be saying that a skater should be giving up the sport based on what? Because seemingly people like one skater better than the other?

    It may or may not be the case that Mira has a bad attitude towards her skating or that she only listens to her mother instead of a coach. But is it fair to turn round and say she should quit? Is it any fairer than turning to Phaneuf and saying - it seems that you have the right attitude but unfortunately you are simply not talented enough or your body can't cope with this sport so hang up your hat sweetheart - your placements haven't improved in the last couple of seasons?

    I think the answer in both cases is no - let them continue until they want to. Critique their skating etc by all means i just don't like fans calling for people to retire just because they think they should - another sideof the same argument is a little like the Michelle/Pluschenko should have stepped aside to give another skater a go argument. I don't buy that one either.


    Ant

  6. #36
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    629
    Please, I am not 'calling for Mira (or anyone for that matter) to retire. I am simply stating an observation that it seems a high price from many perspectives to continue when you know you are never going to be World or Oly podium material (if you have already achieved the opportunity to participate in the events as a non contender). Having said that, if a person chooses to do that I totally respect their decision.

    Mira struck me as a young lady who has many other talents that could be pursued in addition to skating. Ones that may provide a more permanent and solid ground for the future. Another poster stated something about her commitment to pleasing her mother & that may well be a factor, I don't know.

  7. #37
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnipeg View Post
    Please, I am not 'calling for Mira (or anyone for that matter) to retire. I am simply stating an observation that it seems a high price from many perspectives to continue when you know you are never going to be World or Oly podium material (if you have already achieved the opportunity to participate in the events as a non contender). Having said that, if a person chooses to do that I totally respect their decision.

    Mira struck me as a young lady who has many other talents that could be pursued in addition to skating. Ones that may provide a more permanent and solid ground for the future. Another poster stated something about her commitment to pleasing her mother & that may well be a factor, I don't know.
    Sorry Winnipeg - my post wasn't aimed at you per se - i replied to some things that you raised but there are posters in this thread who suggested she quit now because she wasn't advancing.

    Also another factor might be (albeit unlikely) that she is improving in practice but when the competition nerves kick in then old habits die hard?

    Ant

  8. #38
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Sorry Winnipeg - my post wasn't aimed at you per se - i replied to some things that you raised but there are posters in this thread who suggested she quit now because she wasn't advancing.

    Also another factor might be (albeit unlikely) that she is improving in practice but when the competition nerves kick in then old habits die hard?

    Ant


    No problem! I

    sincerely hope she improves and that she is not being unduly pressured. Your point re practice is possible and maybe personal strees is contributing? It must be very difficult if you are dependant on a certain financial resource and that entity wants you to do something other than what you want.....just speculating of course.

  9. #39
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,250
    I will just be glad when Canada produces another skater (besides Joannie) so we can retire these repititious Mira-bashing threads that pop up after every competition.

  10. #40
    Moving up the testing structure Kypma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I will just be glad when Canada produces another skater (besides Joannie) so we can retire these repititious Mira-bashing threads that pop up after every competition.
    Except that it seems like Canada can't find someone to replace her... I'd try, but I'm still working in single jumps and simple spins

    -Kypma

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •