Predictions | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Predictions

Final Flight
They are? S&B have probably the most generic FD of any of the top 5 teams from any GP event.

I can't argue with S&B's technical abilitiy(that's the only reason they beat the Kerr's in the FD at SA), but P&B's FD has way more detailed, original, and thought out choreography. S&B's FD is just last year's FD to different music.

originality isn't a section in the judges rubric is it?

Last edited:

yoyoyogi

Rinkside
ice dancing

Not exactly a prediction but I won't be surprised if P&B drop in the rankings. Their FD is a mess and they just seem off from last year's promise (especially their OD last year which was fabulous).

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
I think Mao will get the silver again. From TEB, I see that she has too many serious problem w/ her jumps. For example, she has trouble w/ the lutz jump, jump combination in both SP & LP. She even not able to stand on her foot for a single salchow. I think mistake like that will haunt her and it will be really difficult for her to overcome. I think she will continue to make the mistake with her combo jump again at NHK. So, I predict she will win a silver.

Not exactly a prediction but I won't be surprised if P&B drop in the rankings. Their FD is a mess and they just seem off from last year's promise (especially their OD last year which was fabulous).

Isn't it premature to write off any skater at this point of time? Their previous competition could simply be an isolated incident. They could have been ill, or jet-lagged at the previous competition. I think it is odd to say a skater will do badly just based on their first competition of the season.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Men
1. Weir
2. Carriere
3. Oda
4. Mura
5. Ponsero
6. Reynolds

Ladies
1. Asada
2. Lepisto
3. Nakano
4. Nagasu
5. Wagner
6. Suzuki

Pairs
1. Pang & Tong
2. Dube & Davison
3. Inoue & Baldwin
4. Pisotta & Stewart
5. Magitteri & Hotarek

Dance
1. Faiella & Scali
2. Pechalat & Bourzat
3. Samuelson & Bates
4. Gorshkova & Butikov
5. Navarro & Bommentre

Making the Finals boils down to Oda:s results. I believe Johnny and Stephen can make the Finals if Oda gets 3rd or less. \

If Johnny gets a silver, he will definitely be inclued with 26 points
if Stephen gets a bronze he will join the others with 24 for a massive tiebreaker

Same results for Stephen and Johnny if the Stephen get silver and Johnny gets bronze

Both Ponsero and Reynolds need a gold just to join the massive tiebreaker.

The magic number for the Men this season was 24 but that just made the tiebreaker..

kandidy

Final Flight
I agree with you ! Do you know, how did Tarasova say about Mao Asada ? She says : About working with Mao Asada : It is not easy to work together with anyone. If you work to train the most powerful – you should take on your own shoulders too much more. To work with Mao even doubles by far such difficulty, because she have grown much taller and continues growing up still, … in an article.

I don't actually understand what you want to say....

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They are? S&B have probably the most generic FD of any of the top 5 teams from any GP event.

I can't argue with S&B's technical abilitiy(that's the only reason they beat the Kerr's in the FD at SA), but P&B's FD has way more detailed, original, and thought out choreography. S&B's FD is just last year's FD to different music.

As for the point difference between P&B and S&B, people seem to forget that P&B collided into each other on a twizzle sequence, fell on a footwork sequence, and fell on a transition move at SC, all of which was detrimental to both the TES and PCS.

P/B's programs don't maximize their skating skills, and even with the reduced technical content, they were unable to execute them well at Skate Canada. What is to you looks like originality is to me a hot mess.

I would HOPE P/B will improve at NHK, but I rather suspect that S/B will have improved as well.

axalteke

Rinkside
I don't actually understand what you want to say....

I beg You just to understand what Tarasova says about Mao, not that I want to say! What does your comments mean, you can't understand or you just do never want to understand what I said????

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Men
I wish Takahito Mura could medal

Ladies
Asada
Nakano
Lepisto

Pairs
Dube / Davison
Pang / Tong
Inoue / Baldwin

Dance
Faiella / Scali
Samuelson / Bates
Pechalat / Bourzat

casken

On the Ice
originality isn't a section in the judges rubric is it?

Yes it is. Under the "Choreography/Composition" section from the "Components with Explanations" document on the ISU website:

"Originality of Purpose, Movement, and Design
Originality involves an individual perspective of movement and design in pursuit of a creative composition as inspired by the music and the underlying vision."

What is to you looks like originality is to me a hot mess.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. :laugh:

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice
It looks like PJ Kwong has inadvertedly used her "black magic" against Oda: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2008/11/anticipation_abound_for_odas_r.html
You waited till she published her blog, didn't you:laugh:
But, if any man could break her curse this season, Oda would be the one. He will do well under the protection of his powerful ancestor Nobunaga Oda, the most famous war lord of Japan;)
Will he attemp a 4T-3T-3L?

Men
1. Oda
2. Weir
3. Ponsero

Ladies
1. Asada:scratch:
2. Nakano (Miss Consistency)
3. Wagner (luv her attack and presentation)

Pairs
1. Dube & Davison
2. Pang & Tong (I think they are still nursing some injury)
3. Inoue & Baldwin

Dance
1. Faiella & Scali
2. Pechalat & Bourzat (hope they will skate to their potential)
3. Samuelson & Bates (like their OD, but the FD is something from the recycle bin)

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
But, if any man could break her curse this season, Oda would be the one. He will do well under the protection of his powerful ancestor Nobunaga Oda, the most famous war lord of Japan;)
Will he attemp a 4T-3T-3L?

He has a 4T-3T-3L? I didn't even know that he had a consistent quad!

Okami

On the Ice
He has a 4T-3T-3L? I didn't even know that he had a consistent quad!

At Nebelhorn, he didn't have one. At Karl Schaffer, he landed 4-3 in practice and fell on a quad in competition. At West Japan, he stepped out of the quad in his LP, and landed 4-3-3 twice, 4-3-2 and 4-2-3 in the practice/warm-up. It's a very fresh jump for him, but he's improving step by step.

Here:
http://www.dailymotion.com/ippanjin2008/video/x7jdt4_mao-news3_sport
at about 1:32 the report about Nobunari's practice starts. At 1.54 he lands 4T-3T-3L. :thumbsup: And two gorgeous 3A before that.
But he looked so young and nervous in the interview... I hope he'll be able to bring those jumps into his performance.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
You waited till she published her blog, didn't you:laugh:

There's no point in trying to "outwit" her. ;) I now fully recognize that Kwong's hex is very, very, very powerful. :bow: I mean, what are the chances that ALL of her picks for the men so far have failed to earn the gold medal?! :eek:

We'll soon see if the spirit of Oda's illustrious ancestor can shield him from PJ's spooky spell. :p

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Since Kwong has made my job easier :p, I'll give it a shot... I got the men's podium right at CoR (not that hard), and correctly predicted trouble for Jeremy Abbott (luckily, just in the SP).

With that out of the way:

Pairs
  1. Dube & Davison
  2. Pang & Tong
    well behind those two:
  3. Inoue & Baldwin
Men
  1. Weir
  2. Oda: should he even be trying a 4-3-3? Does it make sense Zayak-wise?
  3. Ponsero
  4. Carriere, or however he spells it
  5. Reynolds
Ladies - in the spirit of the NCAA tournament brackets, this will be my upset special!
  1. Nakano
  2. Asada
  3. Lepisto
  4. Nagasu
  5. Suzuki
  6. Wagner
Dance
  1. Faiella & Scali, still don't like them
  2. Pechalat & Bourzat (cleaner?)
  3. Samuelson & Bates

I will not be predicting anything else for the rest of the season! It's gotten way too confusing. ;)

siberia82, check Kwong's bio for us. Did she go to Hogwarts?

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
Men
1. Weir
2. Oda
3. Carriere

Ladies
1. Nakano
2. Asada
3. Wagner

Pairs
1. Dube/Davison