Who was the female Ice Dancer who glared at her partner after a fall? | Golden Skate

Who was the female Ice Dancer who glared at her partner after a fall?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was Barbara Fusar-Poli. Interesting that her partner, Maurizio Margaglio, fell at both the 2002 and 2006 Olympics. But the famous glare was in 2006.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
A GS member has the team as an avatar, with the caption, "Keeper of Babs's death stare." -- sorry I can't remember which GSer, but very funny and cute :laugh: !

lmarie086

Medalist
That was the first time I ever saw them, and whenever someone mentions this team I always think of "the glare."
A moment in ice dance I'll never forget.

Wrlmy

Medalist
She had a look that kills. As the camera zoomed on her face, I swear I felt like my face was melting. I really wanted to give Maurizio a hug:biggrin:

Barbara F-P looked like she was acting out the lyrics to their 2002 music. :laugh:

♫ ♪...And so you're back
From outer space
I just walked in to find you here
With that sad look upon your face
I should have changed my stupid lock
I would have made you leave your key
If I'd have known for just one second
You'd be back to bother me ♫ ♪

Go on now, go,
Walk out the door
Just turn around now
'Cause you're not welcome anymore...♫ ♪

Last edited:

psycho

On the Ice
Aw, come on folks, I'm completely on her side on this one. :laugh:This is the second Olympics he fell on! When he fell at the 2002 Olympics, she was very supportive. In 2006, she was like, "AGAIN?!".

That was one of the greatest skating moments for me. Made the Torino Olympics for me.:rock:

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
Aw, come on folks, I'm completely on her side on this one. :laugh:This is the second Olympics he fell on! When he fell at the 2002 Olympics, she was very supportive. In 2006, she was like, "AGAIN?!".

Having been forced by the power of NBC replay to see this fall MANY times, I am convinced it was her fault. She jumped too hard onto him and knocked him off balance. Also, how completely arrogant of both of them to think they didn't need any competitions to prepare for the Olympics. They did Italian nationals and that was their only competition in four years before Turin. You have to try out programs under competition pressure to know what details may need attention. Just because something seems okay in practice doesn't mean it will be okay in competition. Even Torvill & Dean did British Championships and Europeans before the '94 Olympics. Fusar-Poli and Margaglio thought they'd just show back up and be fabulous. How ridiculous.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Well, they were doing okay before the multiple falls... I was into it...

and I understand Babs' frustration, but at the same time, they were both responsible for at least one of their mess ups

lcd

Match Penalty
On top of the 'whose fault was it'... their first placement after the compulsories was such a host country 'gift'

Now if she had 'whacked' him.. then we would have had 'ratings'... and then TV $... and we'd be watching skating on NETWORK television... not the internet...:laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeah, what was Babs thinking! she could have solved skating's problems! :laugh: