Ladies Short | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ladies Short

Andalusia

Final Flight
I noticed the person painting pictures of the skaters, too! Anyone know what that was about? From what I could see, what he did of Mao looked lovely. :)

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't see the need for overreactions. These skaters shouldn't be looking to peak in November anyway. I really wish all this 3+3 SP combo hoopla would finally be put to rest. Mao, Joannie, and Caroline have all been really inconsistent with their SP 3+3 combo attempts this season and last season. I would much prefer to see a cleanly executed 3+2 than to see skaters falling on the first jump or popping the 2nd jump into a single in an attempt to land a 3+3.

harmy18

Rinkside
congra to Joannie:clap: first after SP.
I just wonder why Mao's TES is higher than Caroline:scratch: she did the right lutz?

so_proud

Rinkside
Very disappointed all around, a complete splat fest. I did not appreciate Joannie getting held up, and she truly was, Skate Canada was a gift and this is just icing on the cake. I feel so bad for Elene G, and I sincerely believe that after this competition Emily Hughes will retire from skating for G-d and just go back to school, or at least after nationals.
d.

I think that Joannie deserves the firstI place today but both Joannie and Mao were a little overscored.

I wish Bebe's coach would give her a different entrance into her 3lutz. Too many steps before take off and basically its too much for her. Otherwise she could have been first, imo.

I'm afraid Emily's best skating results are behind her.

Caroline needs to pep it up. She's got the ballet-like down pat, now show us some oomph. btw. Like Joubert, leaving out a required element does not harm the skater. Poor Caroline didn't even leave the ice for that 2A.

It was not Mao's best performance but I think she should have been 1st after the SP.

Joannie got the prize and she did skate well but leaving out requirements........

btw Candice did quite nicely. Maybe French Ladies are stepping it up.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Very disappointed all around, a complete splat fest. I did not appreciate Joannie getting held up, and she truly was, Skate Canada was a gift and this is just icing on the cake.

How exactly was Joannie held up? She fell on a triple and didn't do the combo (1 jumping pass) while the skaters below her made costly mistakes on 2 jumping passes. She certainly shouldn't be behind Mao and she is only ahead of her by 1.42 points.

kandidy

Final Flight
Mao's TES is higher than Caroline:scratch: she did the right lutz?

Hard to say, since she barely complete 2/12 of revolution. Funny, she did triple loop in her practice while didn't use it in the SP. (Maybe she practiced in case, since she switched to loop at 4CC)

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
CoP does not encourage clean performance, it only encourages pile-up of points. .... all sorts of mistakes without consequences.

I think you have just given the briefest possible, yet most accurate, description of one of the main problems with CoP. Thank you. Brevity is indeed the soul of wit, and I wish I had your talent for encapsulation.

"CoP does not encourage clean performance": yes. It is only about the total of points acquired, however much of a visual mish-mash the program might be as a whole.

"...mistakes without consequences.": yes. That sums it up. It could be the banner motto for CoP or IJS or whatever it is being called this week. The 6.0 system was basically subtractive. CoP is basically additive. In 6.0, the number one thing was to skate cleanly. Whoever could perform the most difficult maneuvers most skillfully, without errors, would win. Unfortunately, CoP only recently started to treat Grade of Execution seriously. Even now, that needs more fine-tuning. It is not enough to somehow land a jump; *how* one lands a jump matters, and that should be taken into account. A smooth outflow from the jump (many refer to that as the "rideout") should garner more points than a jerky landing of the same jump, with almost no outflow. It is should not just be a matter of completing the aerial rotations; to me the outflow from the jump is almost as important as the jump itself.

Andalusia

Final Flight
How exactly was Joannie held up? She made 1 mistake while the skaters below her made more than 1 mistake. She certainly shouldn't be behind Mao and she is only ahead of her by 1.42 points.

She didn't do a combo along with the fall. Mao at least did a single loop after the triple flip. And everything else Mao did was light years ahead of Joannie.

What surprises me about Joannie is this - I don't recall the judges showing her this much luvin' in previous seasons. Or maybe they have been and I just haven't paid enough attention to her. Why is she being overscored only now?

MerryA

Spectator
d.

I think that Joannie deserves the firstI place today but both Joannie and Mao were a little overscored.
can't agree with u more. So disappointed with the performances.What happened to Mao? I thought she was okay at yesterday's practice.

*Sniper*

On the Ice
Goodness!
No one cracked 60 points???
Not even Mao!!!!

Certainly hoping for a better night tomorrow.
Let's go, ladies!!

MissIzzy

Final Flight
Poor Joannie. [People will criticize] her now, because she dared to make one less mistake than Mao did and beat her by a hair that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She didn't do a combo along with the fall. Mao at least did a single loop after the triple flip. And everything else Mao did was light years ahead of Joannie.

What surprises me about Joannie is this - I don't recall the judges showing her this much luvin' in previous seasons. Or maybe they have been and I just haven't paid enough attention to her. Why is she being overscored only now?

No way a skater with a clean 3Lutz and a clean 2Axel, but a fall on the 3+3combo should be put behind a skater with a 2flutz, a 3flip+1loop combo, and a 2Axel. That's 3 mistakes for Mao: flutz, double not a triple, and a single loop. Joannie had 2 mistakes: 3flip fall and no 3toe in the combo.

Again, with Joannie's "undeserved" PCS, her fans see the improvements, the judges see the improvements which is what really matters, and it's too bad you don't.

carolinefan177

On the Ice
No way a skater with a clean 3Lutz and a clean 2Axel, but a fall on the 3+3combo should be put behind a skater with a 2flutz, a 3flip+1loop combo, and a 2Axel. That's 3 mistakes for Mao: flutz, double not a triple, and a single loop. Joannie had 2 mistakes: 3flip fall and no 3toe in the combo.

Mao flutzed?

harmy18

Rinkside
3 mistakes for Mao: flutz, double not a triple, and a single loop.

so you mean she flutz again?? any details right now or barely you guess??

I'm really sorry for caroline. She did better in TEB than in SC, at least she skated faster IMO. There must be something wrong

gold12345

Medalist

Probably the same reason why Patrick Chan won Skate Canada with a disastrous long program. I don't know.

As long as nobody scored 60 with a fall, I'm not really too upset by the scoring. When everyone messes up, it's difficult to pick a clear winner. Mao and Joannie both had mistakes, and are separated by next to nothing. No big deal. But is Joannie with a fall really about 10 pts better than someone like Liang with a fall? Hmm.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I'm at work so I haven't seen the programs. But didn't Mao double a jump, with that I don't think she necessarily deserves first place.

Personally, I think these scores are ridiculous. I expect Zhang got some downgrades.

My vote would be for a two point deduction for every required element you miss in the short program. (I'd spare underrotations from this though)...

enlight78

Medalist
Probably the same reason why Patrick Chan won Skate Canada with a disastrous long program. I don't know.

As long as nobody scored 60 with a fall, I'm not really too upset by the scoring. When everyone messes up, it's difficult to pick a clear winner. Mao and Joannie both had mistakes, and are separated by next to nothing. No big deal. But is Joannie with a fall really about 10 pts better than someone like Liang with a fall? Hmm.

yes!!!!!

Andalusia

Final Flight
But is Joannie with a fall really about 10 pts better than someone like Liang with a fall? Hmm.

Exactly. The answer is no, IMO. Joannie is being overscored, there's no doubt in my mind. A fall and no combo is about equal with doubling of a triple and singling of a 2nd jump in a combo (which Mao did, by the way). And there's no way Joannie's +GOE on her spins and spirals should be higher than Mao's in those same areas. Also, I'm not sure Mao flutzed this time around.

It's nice that Joannie is being held up with those big fat PCS scores as well.