Ladies' Free | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Ladies' Free

shine

Record Breaker
I still can't get over how beautifully Joannie is skating this season! Her LP is just filled with musical nuances. I've loved her ever since she was that shy little 16 year old skater, perhaps not a phenom, but with such beautiful natural, musicality. However the last program I really *loved* from her was her 2004 LP (and to a lesser degree her Little Wing SP). And after all the waiting I can finally love another program of hers again!
This LP is just SO PERFECT for her. IMO what has always set her apart is her musical phrasing and the way she's able to feel the subtlety and breathes with the little nuances in music, and this LP is a perfect vehicle for her to showcase such qualities! The music is so Romantic with an understated passion. Her arm and neck usage is absolutely wonderful. It's one of those programs that could make me weep when skated to its fullest.

Last edited:

Engwaciriel

On the Ice
I don't post very often, but just wanted to say that watching Mao Asada live totally changed my opinion on her! She was absolutely beautiful and, as opposed to many people here, I loved her program! :) Some of the jumps she did, especially in the warm-up, just looked so effortless.. I'm nowhere near an figure skating expert, but just wanted to say that despite the misses I really really liked it (and Joannie Rochette was great to watch too!)

kalle

On the Ice
I don't post very often, but just wanted to say that watching Mao Asada live totally changed my opinion on her! She was absolutely beautiful and, as opposed to many people here, I loved her program! :) Some of the jumps she did, especially in the warm-up, just looked so effortless.. I'm nowhere near an figure skating expert, but just wanted to say that despite the misses I really really liked it (and Joannie Rochette was great to watch too!)

Exactly how I felt too :clap:

herios

Medalist
I have two problems w/Caroline's LP. One serious and one that isn't in a way, but is to me...

The Serious Issue...That horrible, horrible swinging take off she uses for the lutz and flip. That needs to be addressed and hopefully soon. Not only does it just look really awful, she's going to end up w/a serious hip and/or back injury somewhere down the line due to doing the two jumps that way. I really do hope Caroline goes to or is sent to someone who's a jump techinician who can work w/her to fix that.

:)

Add some more to the serious issues for Caroline:
1. Double axel - wrong technique. She slows down to an almost stand still, then no wonder she cannot get elevation, nor flow out of the jump.
2. Power and speed. Lots of stroking. If she cannot improve on that she is doomed for PCS-es in the low 6's the most. She looks very juniorish.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Take Home Message

If Zhang wants to move up to the Elite Level, she's going to have to fix those Jumps. Or at least attempt to stop the URs.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Zhang needs to do more than fix those under-rotated, wrong edged, mule kick jumps, namely dramatically improve her poor skating skills. She needs to work on her edges, speed, ice coverage, and expression.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Add some more to the serious issues for Caroline:
1. Double axel - wrong technique. She slows down to an almost stand still, then no wonder she cannot get elevation, nor flow out of the jump.
2. Power and speed. Lots of stroking. If she cannot improve on that she is doomed for PCS-es in the low 6's the most. She looks very juniorish.

Take Home Message

If Zhang wants to move up to the Elite Level, she's going to have to fix those Jumps. Or at least attempt to stop the URs.

Zhang needs to do more than fix those under-rotated, wrong edged, mule kick jumps, namely dramatically improve her poor skating skills. She needs to work on her edges, speed, ice coverage, and expression.

The nerve of Caroline to accept the Bronze medal she won at TEB lets start a petition for her to give it back until she fixes all of her serious problems. .

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I was thinking, if Caroline wants to look more like the mature, elite level, top tier, senior skaters at TEB, there is one more thing she needs to do. ................ And I'm surprised you guys didn't think of it. .................

............... She needs to fall down more..... :rofl:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Oh, I know. It's just I hate it when something like that happens when I'm watching someone skate to that music or other music that either comes from a movie I adore or has a special meaning to me. :)

Right. Like that part in Kozuka's LP when the music turns to the dramatic Nino Rota piece that Sasha used hfor the first minuite or so of her fresskate in 2006. as long as I live I will always think that that terrible start to her program at the olympics when i hear that music.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I was thinking, if Caroline wants to look more like the mature, elite level, top tier, senior skaters at TEB, there is one more thing she needs to do. ................ And I'm surprised you guys didn't think of it. .................

............... She needs to fall down more..... :rofl:

haha......ouch!

fiercemao

Match Penalty
So sad, but so true.

I watched some videos of Jr. & Sr. ladies' competitions at Sectionals. I didn't expect much, but the experience was a pleasant surprise especially compared to watching GP events over the past few weeks. The jumps at Sectionals were simplier, most were just 3t, 3s, 2a and a bunch of doubles, but many of these jumps were landed beautifully. I suddently realized how painful it was to watch a bunch of so-called top tier international skaters falling & popping on jumps such as 3loop, 3flip, 3lutz etc. The CoP needs to be revised dramatically, otherwise FS is doomed. A fall on any jump should earn skater zero point plus a mandatory deduction of one point. I'm so sick and tired of watching those elite ladies doing jumps they know they have little change of landing.

Kinga

Medalist
I watched some videos of Jr. & Sr. ladies' competitions at Sectionals. I didn't expect much, but the experience was a pleasant surprise especially compared to watching GP events over the past few weeks. The jumps at Sectionals were simplier, most were just 3t, 3s, 2a and a bunch of doubles, but many of these jumps were landed beautifully. I suddently realized how painful it was to watch a bunch of so-called top tier international skaters falling & popping on jumps such as 3loop, 3flip, 3lutz etc. The CoP needs to be revised dramatically, otherwise FS is doomed. A fall on any jump should earn skater zero point plus a mandatory deduction of one point. I'm so sick and tired of watching those elite ladies doing jumps they know they have little change of landing.

I agree with you.

ChrisH

On the Ice
The nerve of Caroline to accept the Bronze medal she won at TEB lets start a petition for her to give it back until she fixes all of her serious problems. .
While I agree that most of the criticisms are wrong-headed, Caroline could improve her jump technique in the sense that basketball and volleyball players do, to get more explosive power. It does look like she has the strength (through her hard work :clap:), but that it's not being fully untilized.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
While I agree that most of the criticisms are wrong-headed, Caroline could improve her jump technique in the sense that basketball and volleyball players do, to get more explosive power. It does look like she has the strength (through her hard work :clap:), but that it's not being fully untilized.

I totally agree. I was just having a bit of fun.

Last edited: