Matchstick Men | Golden Skate

Matchstick Men

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I saw Ridley Scott's "Matchstick Men" this weekend and was pleasantly surprised. It's wonderfully directed and all three of the leads (Nicholas Cage, Sam Rockwell and Allison Lohman) give excellent performances. Allison Lohman is especially impressive...she is 24 and plays a 14 year old so convincingly. I definitely recommend this film!

Thanks for the report, BG. It's gotten great reviews all over the place. But with the BIG movie season coming up, I think I might have to save up and wait for "Matchstick Men" to come out on DVD. Remember when going to the movies was such a great bargain? Some films at some theaters in NY are $12 now. No wait, that's a small popcorn.
Rgirl

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
LOL, RGirl! I understand. I'm also tired of selling organs in the blackmarket just to finance my second addiction...movies! Anyway, this would be a great one to own on DVD. Also, speaking of Sam Rockwell (since we kind of were, I guess), I just recently watched "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" and thought it was wonderful as well. It seems Clooney is an accomplished and skilled multi-tasker!

Lol re selling organs on the blackmarket to fund moviegoing. I'm a real movie addict, too. Speaking of which,I LOVED "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind!" You must have read mine;) I love Clooney's acting, though I wasn't crazy about him at first, not to mention his bod. Have I mentioned that I broke my DVD player, I think, by going back over and over to the place in "Solaris" where Clooney and his wife in the movie are making love and there is a shot of Clooney from the back where his back muscles are so gorgeous I traced a picture of them from the TV? How obsessed is that, lol? Of course I was looking at him from a purely anatomical POV. And when I saw "Confessions" I was like, "Yesss! And he's a brilliant offbeat director too!" I'm glad they rereleased "Confessions" in some cities because I don't think it got anywhere near the audience and critical accolades it deserved. Clooney may be suffering from the "pretty boy" syndrome where critics don't take him seriously as a director and producer. Change their minds, George!
Rgirl

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I loved Allison Lohman in White Oleander. I can't wait to see this one. But alas, I'm poor...gotta wait till it comes out on DVD.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Exactly, RGirl! I think that "Confessions" and "Solaris" are two HUGELY underated films. I thought both were exceptional. Especially "Solaris"....it's quite different and certainly not at all mainstream, but I thought that was part of the charm. It took a very unconventional look at love and I prefered it anyday over stamped and pre-packaged schmooze-fests like "Sweet Home Alabama". (LOL, although, I didn't think that "Sweet Home Alabama" was all that bad...just an extremely predictable formula). As for "Confessions", I didn't see it in theaters because I read several glaring criticisms from many critics. WOW! I was shocked. It was incredibly entertaining and fresh and the Rockwell/Barrymore pairing was perfect. Hmmmm, sounds like a good thread......"Underated Films".

ITA, ITA, ITA, BG. I too thought Soderbergh's "Solaris" was a beautiful and fascinatingly different look at love, reality, what it is to be human, and all kinds of things you never see in big studio films. I wrote more about it on your great "Underrated Films" thread. I have so many films for that thread, I'm sure I'll drive people crazy, lol. After that, we'll have to do an "Overrated Films" thread, though I think we might get some arguments on it;)
Rgirl