Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Takahashi decided to get his knee surgery

nefertiti..reincarnate

Takahashi decided to get his knee surgery

I think those who read FSU may already know, but Takahashi is going get surgery on his knee.

I just heard about it on TBS-tv news, but was already on several web news.

Since they are only in Japanese so the following should be the best source:
    http://daisuke-takahashi.megabb.com/...-t545.htm#4827

It looks like it is an ACL injury, which was speculated upon on these boards when he pulled out of CoC. That is very serious and will take a lot of rehab to return from. I hope he comes through the surgery in good shape and that we'll see him back on the ice next season.

very sad news.

nefertiti..reincarnate
    What we know:
    He got his right knee injured practicing 3A, not quad.
    His surgery is for ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) and meniscal damage.
    He'll have to withdraw from all the games left this season.
    Nanri will probably replace him for the NHK.

ETA: Here you are in English...
    http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1
    Last edited by sorcerer; 11-17-2008 at 01:32 PM.

I am worried if he could make the Olympic season.....

ETA: I feel worried because once you have a serious injury, my understanding has been that it is unlikely that your body is going to be the same. further, a surgery also may have a similar effect. my mom got a surgery like 13 years ago. it was for cancer and not like for injury or anything and took off only a very tiny bit. but she still doesn't feel the same and perhaps will never do.
    An older person that i know of (i guess she is in her 40's or 50's?) broke her tendo achillis when she was in high school and she still needs to tape all over her leg when she exercises. i was really surprised when i first heard of this.
    but i am no expert of any medical issues and i hope that these are not going to be his case.

i really hope that he'll be able to skate again and recover his skills so that he could continue as an ama and compete at the olympics. i have had an impression that dai might perhaps retire after the olympics. but he is like 23 now? then he could make the next one, too, if it's all possible.

jeff became a world champ after a serious injury although i do wonder if he may be still suffering from pains. nonetheless he was fortunate enough to recover that much. i hope that dai could recover well, too.
    Last edited by Bennett; 11-18-2008 at 10:05 AM. Reason: ETA

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett
    I am worried if he could make the Olympic season.....
    From what I know, and health professionals on these boards are welcome to correct any mistakes, surgery to repair a torn ACL requires up to twelve months of rehab just to regain previous strength and range of motion. If that's the case, he won't be able to train at all until late 2009 - so yes, Olys could be iffy, and there's no guarantee he'll be able to do all the jumps and steps he did pre-surgery. At best, he'll likely be off the ice until the summer, so most likely no GPs next year. I hope he'll be among those who require a shorter rehab and that he is able to get back to where he was technically.

I wish him all the best with his surgery and recovery; I'm sure all skating fans do.
    Last edited by Buttercup; 11-17-2008 at 01:35 PM.

Custom Title
    That's too bad. I hope he recovers in time for the Olympics. Although it will be a challenge, I recall some athletes who, through guts, determination and training, got over injuries before anticipated (maybe because athletes start off in such good condition, they repair more easily than th eaverage Joe/Josephina)/

e.g.'s Courtney Colpitts, torn achilles one year before Olympics
    Surya Bonaly - torn achilles
    Kyle Shewfelt 2 broken tibis on eyear before the Olympics

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Wow sorry to hear that. I really enjoyed his skating.

On the other hand....Kozuka, Oda and Nanri must be really excited about how their prospects just increased!!

Awaiting Boris and Oleg
    Sorry to add to the gloom and doom, but I had to have an ACL reconstruction and most of my meniscus trimmed out in 2005, and I will never, ever be the same. The reconstructed ACL is supposed to be strong, but the missing meniscus means much less cushioning for the knee joint. Pain is frequently a day-to-day reality for me. Not unbearable pain, and it's much better than my knee collapsing on me as it used to do before surgery, but it's not now nor will ever be a "normal" knee.

My knee is strong for my, say, moderately active lifestyle (we have a farm with horses to ride and care for, and I compete in dog sports) but I'm no conditioned athlete.

Dai will undoubtedly have the best docs in the world behind him, and he's an athlete and I'm not (he's in much better overall health and physical shape, in other words), but I haven't wanted to risk my knee and haven't been back on skates since the surgery.

Every injury is different and I shouldn't play armchair orthopaedist, I just hope Dai's prognosis is better than that, but these are very, very serious injuries, as everyone knows.

Which leg is it, left or right (that is, will he be landing on it or taking off on it)? I'd rather jump off than land on my bad knee, with the kind of torque landing legs have to receive (rather than generate against a solid surface).

Addicted to handsome, artistic male skaters ;-)
    Gosh, this is terrible... It would be very sad if Dai couldn't fulfill his potential as a skater. I sincerely hope a miracle will happen and he'll be able to recover in time for the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnipeg View Post
    That's too bad. I hope he recovers in time for the Olympics. Although it will be a challenge, I recall some athletes who, through guts, determination and training, got over injuries before anticipated (maybe because athletes start off in such good condition, they repair more easily than th eaverage Joe/Josephina)/

e.g.'s Courtney Colpitts, torn achilles one year before Olympics
    Surya Bonaly - torn achilles
    Kyle Shewfelt 2 broken tibis on eyear before the Olympics
    you mean, Courtney Kupets?

Sad to hear about Daisuke...this has to be really disappointing for him.

didn't Hongbo Zhao have a similar injury/surgery a year before Turnio?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    didn't Hongbo Zhao have a similar injury/surgery a year before Turnio?
    I think his was an achilles. Very Very painful. I think he can recover depending on how severe the meniscus is. They have excellent results with the ACL using cadaver grafts. Much less pain involved. The procedure is now an outpatient procedure and is pretty routine. Rehab is paramount, but considering his status and motivation, that should be first rate. The recovery I have seen is very good . (I am a nurse in a surgical setting) I also had my ACL repaired 3 years ago at the age of 47. I was back on the ice within a couple of months and jumping soon after. Obviously, doubles arent like triples, but if someone at my age can do it than I have a really good feeling he will come back!

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginask8s View Post
    I think his was an achilles. Very Very painful. I think he can recover depending on how severe the meniscus is. They have excellent results with the ACL using cadaver grafts. Much less pain involved. The procedure is now an outpatient procedure and is pretty routine. Rehab is paramount, but considering his status and motivation, that should be first rate. The recovery I have seen is very good . (I am a nurse in a surgical setting) I also had my ACL repaired 3 years ago at the age of 47. I was back on the ice within a couple of months and jumping soon after. Obviously, doubles arent like triples, but if someone at my age can do it than I have a really good feeling he will come back!

Ginask8s, it's wonderful to hear that this is possible!!

Loving pairs, dance and figure skating mycelticblessing's Avatar
    ^^
    I sure hope so too! I'm sure many skating fans(me included) would be heartbroken if Daisuke couldn't make it to Vancouver. Get well soon!

The thing is, without Takahashi, will Japan lose their third men's spot? I can see Kozuka doing very well at World's, but Oda has been away for an entire season.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast