Favorite costumes? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Favorite costumes?

Bennett

Record Breaker
Makeup

I thought that I would start a thread on makeup but I was not sure if many ppl were interested in. So I would write here!

Mirai Nagasu at NHK SP She had such pretty makeup! She had some simmering grayish eyeshadow on her upper lids and pink eyeshadow as eyelines on the bottom lids! So stylish and cute!! I absolutely loved it!!

Wagner at NHK SP She had very beautiful base makeup with pretty cheek color. It was very elegant and went so well her classy costume! Although I did not notice her as a beauty before, she was a perfect beauty tonight!!

Yukari at NHK SP I think that she almost always wears the best makeup in the field. Always very lovely and sophisticated.

My great dissapointment was Mao's makeup. I consider her a typical Japanese beauty who reminds me of traditional Japanese beauty who would look perfectly beautiful esp. in Kimono. When she wears light, natural makeup (I mean when she has a makeup artist to do it for her), her healthy, beautiful skin and innocent smile are something to die for.

But I am afraid her makeup at NHK SP was a disaster. I seriously think that she should hire a makeup artist. Her eyelines....:eek:hwell: ..... The heavy brown eyeshadow, the bright red matt lipstick, and bright cheek color were so disharmonious with the music and the costume. Although I love her costume and music, I really could not get into the program because of the makeup.

I hope that a professional makeup artist or anybody with better beauty sense and skills would be able to help her with it.

Last edited:

kandidy

Final Flight
I agree with mao:s make up.
If you do heavy on the eyes, leave lighter tone to lips to make your face softer, otherwise, you will look like my mother's photos 40 years ago.
She better use light color to blend the sharp eyeliner.
I think today, despite her perfect program did not crack 65 is because of judge deduct the disharmonius of the music, costume and her make-up.:rock:

calica

Final Flight
ETA: I also like Joubert's LP costume (I usually find his costumes overdone, but this was nice!) and Caro's new SP costume (the red & gold one. very pretty and mature).

His second costume of LP, the first was the more horrible "thing" that anybody can dress;)

Bennett

Record Breaker
His second costume of LP, the first was the more horrible "thing" that anybody can dress;)

Didn't know that!

I thought Oda's SP costume pretty nice. Yes, it is Morozovian costume and may be a little bit overdone. But I think that Nobu looks nice in purple, black, and white. When he wears all black, he looks just too dark. But the combination of white and purple adds some nice, clean vividness that stands out on the ice.

I also found Mura's and Nanri's Sp costumes nice.

mjames

Rinkside
Love, love Kerr's free program, especially costume. I love the story. They are like two spirits on the ice. Most times I am uncomfortable with brother / sister teams "faking" their feelings. They sell it, an idea, I really enjoy watching it. This program is packaged very well.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I liked Yukari's SP new costume at NHK made by her mom. This has a very similar design with her previous SP costume at SA. But the color is a lot lighter that goes well with her fair skin. Her mom also covered her chest more so that her spiral is now less revealing than it was at SA.

But regarding her LP costume, she broke the puff sleeves. I liked the lovely puff sleeves at SA better.

ETA
I liked Oda's both costumes. In particular, I absolutely love his LP costume!!!! It has such a princy look and he looks very elegant! I think that he looks nice in white & blue/purple bc these accentuates his clean atmosphere.

I also liked Stephen's new LP costume. I haven't had a chance to see his SP yet but his LP costume looked a lot nicer than the previous one. I mean I did not dislike the previous LP costume as many other ppl did. But I thought that it was a bit too understated in colors. But this one had nice "fire" around his arms. I think it funny that they are still similar to each other in their designs.

Among NHK EX costumes, I loved the Candian pair's costumes, the purple and black ones. Very beautiful.

I also loved Johnny's EX costume . I am a bit surprised that he had a big, big cross on it because I somehow did not personally think that it would be a kind of thing he would do. But it was a beautiful costume for this beautiful performance.

Oda's white EX costume was very nice, too. It was a Morozovian costume, meaning retro, but was pretty simple and clean as well.

Yukari's bright red EX costume was very cute. I always wish her designer would cover her chest a bit more though. Yet, every costume of hers is very lovely and beautiful.

Mao's red & black EX costume is so stylish and cool. I love it!!!

Oh, for Mao's honor, I thought her LP makeup better than her SP makeup.:):) Although she had exactly the same pattern in terms of the eyelines and eyeshadow (Did she perhaps forget to bring the cosmetics for her SP? ), her overall makeup looked a bit less heavy than SP. Besides, it went well with the LP costume and the music.:) So she looked nice. I still do not get her eyelines that strongly curve up at the corners though.
Sorry for being so picky! I just cannot stand seeing a pretty girl killing herself with weird makeup. Hope she gets better some day.

Last edited:

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Favorite (and Least) Costume of the Season

Here's some pictures:

I really like Yuna's LP costume. It fits well with her fair skin and dark hair, and the music as well.
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0d7Sevm5EicxO/340x.jpg

Jeremy's SP costume is both classy and not boring. The dark blue color is almost regal and prevents the shimmer, draping and puff sleeves of becoming too feminine (and yes, men can become too feminine in figure skating. Though some can pull femininity off better than others eg. Johnny Weir):
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/00BG9FV9pa1Ni/340x.jpg

Really like Meryl Davis' free dance costume, especially her hairband. Not sure about Charlie's shirt, though:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0fzd6PN50S4eC/610x.jpg

Some of my least favorite costumes:

Federica Faiella and Massimo Scali of Italy looks like...clowns (free dance)! I know it probably fits well with the music, but still :rofl:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01XcgedfRceeq/340x.jpg

Yana Khokhlova and Sergei Novitski's original dance costumes look like rejects from the movie 'The Mask'
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06Q738y64R7ks/340x.jpg

Though I really like Joubert's SP I still think the shirt has too much mesh. Reminds me of something not appropiate to write here.
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/004qbWY0F9egW/340x.jpg

Lastly, what is happening to Jeremy's face???
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06jQeahciu9dy/340x.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jyshin

On the Ice
What about Miki Ando's Saint-Saens costume?... including her nail artwork (This is not a joke)

Wrlmy

Medalist
Yana Khokhlova and Sergei Novitski's original dance costumes look like rejects from the movie 'The Mask'
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06Q738y64R7ks/340x.jpg

:rofl:

A picture of Miki's nails. They are craaaaazy! She could poke someone's eyes out! Are they supposed to elongate her lines (?) because I just find them over the top.
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/05DJevi9fDfra/610x.jpg

OMG she could scoop ice cream.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Are they supposed to elongate her lines (?) because I just find them over the top.

OMG she could scoop ice cream.

Awww, so funny. She sure had loooong lines :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I tend to be pretty open to edgy makeup. That's fun. Somehow very long nails and/or some of nail arts scare me to death :eek: I think that I am subconsciously afraid of the possibility that:
She could poke someone's eyes out!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Miki has been wearing extreme nails for the last few seasons. They are not part of her costume...just her own personal style. I think they are nasty....but whatever.

Wrlmy

Medalist
I don't think they are nasty, but they are really over the top. Well, maybe no difference:laugh:
I wonder how she even manages to wash her face without scrapping off multiple layers of skin. When i sported long nails (still not as long as hers), my face almost turned into a bloody mess.

McWicked

On the Ice
Yuna's SP, Yuna's LP... anythin that Yuna wears is fine by me, she'd still be pretty just wearing a shopping bag kind of outfit xDDDD. Mao's LP, but for manly reasons... and also whatever Meryl's wearin, she has good taste.

Last edited:

nubka

Final Flight
While I really like Mao's SP dress, I detest her "return of the spider-woman" LP dress. I dislike the clunky-looking chokers that many of her costumes seem to have...:disagree:

I'd like to see more of the ladies wearing sleeves (getting really tired of sleeveless/strapless look. :eek:hwell:)

I actually like Joubert's SP custume (except for pointy-weird shoulder-pad thingies...:agree:)

Some of the ladies are wearing dresses this year that are really open in the back. I wouldn't mind but some of them seem to gap away from their skin when they are doing certain moves...

Last edited:

Wrlmy

Medalist
^ Sleeves are tricky. You may look too thin or too endowed in sleeves. Sleeves emphasize certain body parts, and that is not always flatterring. Kiira totally rocked sleeves last year. Her sp dress combined two faux pas, sleeves and stripes, and yet she still looked gorgeous.