Dailymotion as youtube's alternative? | Golden Skate

Dailymotion as youtube's alternative?

fiercemao

Match Penalty
Last edited by a moderator:

fiercemao

Match Penalty
Now the jerks know about these ones too...

It will be interesting to see whether IN has the means to persuade dailymotion to take down FS videos. dailymotion seems to have servers around the world, what will IN's excuse to ask videos to be taken down from a server located in a 'foreign country'?

Last edited by a moderator:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
fiercemao, next time you out a video maker, could you please pick someone who does not have over 300 videos on line to lose, most of them not anything to do with the GP?

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Now they know about these ones too...

You. Said. It.

Please, FM, let's not trumpet our suggestions like that. Obviously someone is lurking here removing the vids; if you want them to stay up, why give them another site?

gold12345

Medalist
The more they take down videos, the more determined I get to never, ever pay for Icenetwork. :mad: No better way to alienate figure skating fans than by making them pay to watch skating online. It's bad enough that we can't watch the GP on TV. I wish they could find a sponsorship or something that would allow them to provide video for free. I think gymnastics was able to do this... They had live online video a couple years ago provided by AT&T, I think.

Why does US Figure Skating think taking down foreign videos off of YouTube is really going to help them? I figure the people purchasing Icenetwork subscriptions either want to watch the skating live or don't want to be bothered looking up and loading individual videos on YouTube. So why does US Figure Skating really give a crap that people are uploading blurry GP coverage from foreign sources hours/days/weeks later on YouTube? By constantly taking videos down, it just makes them look bad. In fact, if they really cared about the fans and skating in general, they would want as much skating coverage on YouTube as possible. The more exposure their skaters have, the easier it is to maintain and build a fan base. They are doing it all wrong.

And not only do the GP videos get removed, but people's entire YouTube accounts are getting suspended. So skating videos that have nothing at all to do with the GP get removed as well. That's just great, US Figure Skating... Make it your goal to remove everything that has to do with your sport from the most popular video sharing site on the web. That's a great way to generate and keep fan interest in figure skating as we head closer to the Olympic year. :rolleye: Just pathetic.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I remember Ice Network was free during its inaugural season. Then they put in the $29 annual fee for coverage. I must say that's not bad when you think about it, because they could have easily gone with a monthly subscription (say, $10). that would amount to more than twice as much per season. They just need to figure out a way to better serve the paying fans as they are getting a handful of complaints, and people are getting irritated over the removal of vids. I still think it would be nice to be able to record the coverage (for personal use!!)...because on TV, if you have a VCR/DVR/PVR you can record anything you want...why can't internet streaming be the same way?

fiercemao

Match Penalty
You. Said. It.

Please, FM, let's not trumpet our suggestions like that. Obviously someone is lurking here removing the vids; if you want them to stay up, why give them another site?

Red Dog, dailymotion is different from youtube, it's a site based in Europe. I'm not worried too much on potential crackdown from dailymotion. In my opinion, usfigure skating will not be able to force dailymotion to take down the videos for the following reasons:

IN's claim on internet broadcast rights is very flimsy. There's no doubt in my mind that IN ONLY has internet broadcast rights of GP events/Words/Jr. Words WITHIN the U.S, not around the globe, otherwise they will not restrict people outside of America from watching GP events. So the only basis they have by asking youtube to take down the videos is that youtube does not have the technology to filter US spectators from watching those videos even they are not uploaded within US, and are not produced by NBC. I am very confident this claim will not stand scrutiny in court.I guess youtube simply does not want to be boggled down so they just oblige.

IMHO, there's no way other similar sites outside U.S. such as dailymotion, tudou will take IN's absurd claim seriously. So maybe from now on, we'll just resort to those sites for viewing

babyoscar

On the Ice
videos

your best bet is find a video hosting site that isn't based in the US, another thing is posting video without writing out the exact name of the video. For example, rather than write out Caroline Zhang US National, put CZUN, obviously that will be harder to search.

MissIzzy

Final Flight
Just don't upload your skating montages there. I tried. The first was yanked before I finished uploading the second! And music for it was classical!
Turned me off for the website, to be honest with you.