Problems with Eurosport coverage of the GPs | Golden Skate

Problems with Eurosport coverage of the GPs

antmanb

Record Breaker
Is anyone else having problems actually getting to see any of the GPs on Eurosport. I use sky+ in the UK (i suppose it's like TIVO in the US) and having set it to record all of the broadcasts i'm finding that so far i've recorded more live WTA tennis and live snooker than I have figure skating. The scheduling hasn't been altered and my machine has taped when it should have done. So far i've managed to catch very little skating at all. :mad:

Ant

eleonora.d

On the Ice
I can tell you what happened with Eurosport italy : there have been several tennis matches and snooker games which lasted more than scheduled, (tennis is especially broadcast un-friendly) so figure skating has been delayed several times :disapp:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Yes, I've head the same problem, and not just this year. This matter came up in one of the GP threads already: Eurosport always screws up the scheduling of live events; everything runs over and the next broadcast starts late, if at all. The snooker was a particularly annoying example because it was endless, boring, and ran so much longer than scheduled that there was no men's SP or the FD. And judging by the tiny audience at the snooker matches, I'm not sure how many people could have been watching that at home.

Occasionally we are the beneficiaries of the bad scheduling: figure skating has also run over into the next program; the TEB gala, for instance, was a few minuted longer than scheduled, and the medal ceremonies in big events also tend to run late.

Although it was planned, Eurosport's most annoying decision was when they mostly pre-empted 2008 Europeans for African football, which was unforgivable. I could have understood if it had been Euro whatever, or the finals of the African Nation's cup, but it was just the early stages. So far their GP coverage is so abbreviated as to be ridiculous. If they're going to show it, they should do it right. At least they could do a split-screen.

The only way you can be sure that a live event will start on time on Eurosport is if the preceeding programme was a magazine or tape-delay, and sometimes not even then. :scowl:

russell30

Final Flight
Eurosport's policy seems to be any Live sport that is shown is shown to the conclusion so you will find that it will over run particularly Snooker which interrupted The Mens SP and Ice Dance Free from TEB last week. But in all fairness Eurosport try and squeeze some highlights of missed coverage in their subsequent programs. I am thankful that at least they are covering the GP's in the UK it is a real bous have not seen the GP's for some years on Eurosport congrats to them and I hope will will continue to get them in years to come. But the ISU must keep the costs down in order for broadcasts to show them.

russell30

Final Flight
I also have a feeling that african nations cup will interrupt 2009 euro's as 2009 euro's seem to be on the same week as 2008 euro's. This will be very frustrating if they cut down the live evening coverage here.

Please eurosport we only have two major comp in one year euros and worlds show them in their entirety please (after all football is on all year)

Eevun

Final Flight
Eurosport's policy seems to be any Live sport that is shown is shown to the conclusion so you will find that it will over run particularly Snooker which interrupted The Mens SP and Ice Dance Free from TEB last week.
:mad: Yes, I was so mad!! Did they show the gala for once as as a consolation...?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I also have a feeling that african nations cup will interrupt 2009 euro's as 2009 euro's seem to be on the same week as 2008 euro's. This will be very frustrating if they cut down the live evening coverage here.

Please eurosport we only have two major comp in one year euros and worlds show them in their entirety please (after all football is on all year)
We are in luck! The African Nations' Cup, as per Wikipedia, is only held every other year - and I can't imagine they'll air that over the Olympics! The weekend events this year may be shown in part as they'll probably have loads of Australian Open coverage.

For me, some years Europeans is the only comp I can watch because of the time difference on Worlds, and it's particularly disappointing to have it pre-empted. And if they show snooker instead this time, I don't think any of us should be held accoutable for our actions :biggrin:.

Eevun, the gala was shown at least in part - it started before I got home from work so I've no idea how much was shown.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
alekzu's recording started with Brian skating to 'Madeleine'.
I think that was in the first half. I started watching when they were on to the 2nd place finishers, but I was busy with other things and didn't really pay much attention as few of my favorites were skating.

lcd

Match Penalty
Sorry to hear about all the problems with broadcasts. I'll say though, that when they DO cover skating, the commentators are quite superior to the ones on American TV. I was in Europe and saw Tokyo worlds, and have seen clips posted to Youtube. Nicky Slater is a hoot. Makes it fun and intelligent.

KayMil01

On the Ice
I love the British Eurosport commentators! they're so funny. They don't know and explain a whole lot about the COP, but I enjoy their commentary. Now Paul Wylie should join them in the booth for his knowledge and explanations of the COP, the British guys can fill in the rest and that'd be great lol.