Fun SOI News! | Golden Skate

Fun SOI News!

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Just some background first.....LOL ;) SOI was nominated back in July for an Emmy for their choreography work this past season (2002-03). Here is the page with who won that Emmy. It was announced this past weekend in LA (I think it was in LA, LOL).

http://www.emmys.org/primetime/2003/awards/choreog.php

Way to go SOI!!! Congrats to all the cast and choreographers and here's to hopefully another great season of SOI! :love: :D :love: :D :love: :D :love: :D :love: :D :love:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
WOW! That is SO cool!!! Very happy for all those wonderful choreographers.

astimegoesby

On the Ice
Congratulations to the SOI choreographers! I know SOI has been nominated for this award a few times before, but I think this is the first time they've ever won. I might be wrong, though...

Panther2000

On the Ice
That is wonderful news. When I watched the show when it aired. I just loved it. It is a great honor for that show. An Honor for everyone invloved.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Actually, last year, the SLC Opening Ceremonies won this very same award (choreography) in addition to like five other Emmys (including one award that usually goes to the Academy Awards broadcast but I can't remember the name of it, its like Outstanding Special Event or something) which I thought was extremely cool. I am pretty sure that SOI has been nominated before but I have NO clue if they have ever won it before now. Hmmm, maybe I will look that up tomorrow night and find out the answer for y'all. :D

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Of course I could be wrong, but I have a very strong feeling that SOI was earlier nominated and also won the Emmy (must have been one of these years 1999-2001).

Marjaana

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I know Sandra Bezic's production of Carmen won an Emmy - Brian Orser and Katarina Witt both won.

Big congrats to the choreographers. I wonder if the person who choreographed the "Elvis/Marilyn" program is on that list;) It was not my favorite number, in case you haven't guessed, though I love B&S's skating and it was nice to see them have fun with something--just not that particular piece. Probably one of those ideas that sounded great on paper.

So is Sandra Bezic choreographing for SOI at all this season? I know Christopher Dean is the new artistic director and will be doing the bulk of the choreography, but I wonder if Sandra will choreograph any solos or duets or something like that? I think she's done some great stuff over the past 10 years (as long as I've seen it live). I thought "Four Corners," which they did in '98-99 was a very impressive foray into modern choreography with an adult theme. Also, I thought Bezic's "Bridge Over Troubled Water" for Kristi was brilliant. But that is a big show and a LOT of intricate choreography and I have no doubt it is one hell of a job keeping things fresh and creative year in and year out while both staying within the bounds of a largely conservative audience's taste and trying nudge the audience along to appreciate new things as well.

I'm very curious to see what the show will be like with Scott Hamilton returning to consult and Chris Dean in charge artistically. I especially hope they do a great number for YUKA!
Rgirl

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Burning question Larry. All I know is that she isn't listed on the SOI site anymore or at least, not where she used to be listed last year. Whatever that means, I have no clue. It seems like she is not a part of it anymore though. Does anyone know the answer here?!?! :confused:

I THOUGHT, but am not sure, that Christopher Dean had replaced Sandra Bezic as Artistic Director of SOI and that Scott Hamilton is a producer, a role he's had before, but this year he has reported that he will be "more involved in the artistic development" of the show. From what I've heard, Sandra and Scott's professional relationship has rather deteriorated over the years. I wonder if Scott's commentating job with Sandra at the '02 Olympics created some tension or made already existing problems worse? I thought the way Bezic spoke to Scott several times when they were both commentating was pretty bad and Scott looked like he wanted to smack her (just an expression--don't mean to imply violence).

As to the question, Is Bezic involved with SOI, I got the following from the site "The Kurt Files":
http://www.kurtfiles.com/soi/tournews.php

Random SOI 2003-2004 tour information, updated 8/19/03:
* The principal choreographers for this year's tour will be Christopher Dean and Jamie Isley. Sandra Bezic and Michael Seibert are no longer involved with the tour. Article in Blades on Ice.
* Kurt Browning will not be in the full tour this year, but will be making guest appearances. Information on which dates and cities to come. Article in IFS.
* Brian Boitano has expressed interest in the Stars on Ice tour in the latest IFS Magazine. It is unknown whether he has actually been approached by the show or not.
* Oksana Baiul will be a guest star in this year's tour, and is scheduled for 22 appearances, according to an IFS Magazine newsletter.
* Scott Hamilton has said that he is taking a more active role in Stars on Ice this year, at least in a behind-the-scenes capacity. More in the latest IFS Magazine.
* Jenni Meno and Todd Sand will be returning to this year's tour. This is the last year on their contract, and it is unknown if they will continue with the tour after this year. They are working with Christopher Dean on new programs. Article in IFS.
* Todd Eldredge will be returning to the tour. He has five years left on his contract. Article in IFS (no mention of SOI)
* Jamie Sale and David Pelletier will also be returning to the tour.
* According to this article on John Zimmerman's wedding to Silvia Fontana, Ina & Zimmerman will be returning to the tour this year.
* Rehearsals at the ISCC in Simsbury will take place from Oct. 30 to Nov. 14 this year (thanks Eddie).

Rgirl