TV Alert - British Eurosport 2008 Cup of Russia | Page 3 | Golden Skate

TV Alert - British Eurosport 2008 Cup of Russia

gold12345

Medalist
but anyone can get around the comercial part of a broadcast. I hit 'pause' when I record something from TV or I edit later. It's not hard...

same goes with the whole Youtube/online video source, a person can post as much of a video as they want. so there goes that little add at the end of each one... heck you can even zoom in to get rid of the little watermark logo.

nope. all that russian site has to do is the same thing IN does with non US viewers, block them out. They don't *have* to, but they *should.*

Maybe the Russians actually give a crap about figure skating's global popularity and want to be able to share this great sport with as much as the world as possible. :clap:

Anyway, IN's action is doomed to fail. Last time I checked, Caroline Zhang was still proudly skating her beautiful gala program on dailymotion, Russian site, Chinese site etc.

Is Icenetwork even covering the exhibitions from each Grand Prix event? I thought someone said they weren't. If they aren't, then why should that stuff be taken down anyway?

Last edited:

Eevun

Final Flight
I just checked my favourite-list on YouTube. All the figure skating vids are gone :eek: All my subscriptions are suspened. They worked 2 days ago! Since some of them have been up weeks now I thought it was fine. But they really clean everything now!

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
You need a hug: ((((((((Eevun)))))))))

I feel your pain; this is what I have been so concerned about. I lost a Torvill and Dean classic when one uploader's account was cancelled.....my heart sank. A friend suggested I search and luckily, others had uploaded that piece. The problem at the moment is that some of the very finest uploaders (from the point of view of a skating fan) have lost their old accounts and all the great material therein was removed. Slowly, the skating world is again building up the museum. All is not lost.

Eevun

Final Flight
Thanks Dodhiyel :) It made me feel better for the moment...
As a non-American, this really make me p*ssed off. For the suspended users on my list, they were Russian, uploading from Russian TV and not SA or SC. Man, this is so annoying. I understand everything with copyright rules and everything, but this has been brought to a whole new level and begins to be silly.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
As long as it's non-American skaters, I think. The manner in which U.S. figure skaters are promoted, is determined by USFS and, thus, by IN.
Are you sure? As it stands, IN has certainly gone after everybody, including Russian users who have only posted videos of Russian skaters.
Maybe the Russians actually give a crap about figure skating's global popularity and want to be able to share this great sport with as much as the world as possible.
Yeah, right!
nope. all that russian site has to do is the same thing IN does with non US viewers, block them out. They don't *have* to, but they *should.*
That's an interesting point. I am rather skeptical of the "by-ip" identification. Why? Well, when I worked for Philips (a Dutch company) in the US, google routinely interpreted my work IP as being Dutch, and offered me the google search in Dutch. In fact, even after I would correct the URL to say ".com", it would still go back to the Dutch version every time.

BTW, I discussed this situation recently with some friends who know nothing about FS, but a lot about business. They were surprised Google is acting the way it is, as it is obviously driving users to other international video sites.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
That's an interesting point. I am rather skeptical of the "by-ip" identification. Why? Well, when I worked for Philips (a Dutch company) in the US, google routinely interpreted my work IP as being Dutch, and offered me the google search in Dutch. In fact, even after I would correct the URL to say ".com", it would still go back to the Dutch version every time.
OT, if you run into this problem in the future, just click on "prefernces" on the Google home page and switch the interface language to English. Assuming you have cookies enabled, you're set.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Are you sure? As it stands, IN has certainly gone after everybody, including Russian users who have only posted videos of Russian skaters.
No I am not. I might be wrong. Personally, I never came across an account with videos of Russian skaters only. They might be out there, I don't know.

MissIzzy

Final Flight
*sigh* I just tried to watch the Ladies SP on IN. The bandwidth has gotten impossible. I saw nothing but a stream of frozen images.
Honestly, right now, I'm starting to wish IN wasn't doing this whole streaming thing. I'd much rather forego live results in favor of, I don't know, being able to actually *watch* the programs. I've been depending on YouTube to do that; I can't do it on IceNetwork.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Personally, I never came across an account with videos of Russian skaters only. They might be out there, I don't know.
SvZhukGroup was one such user (they've since moved to rutube). They just post (or rather posted) videos of the students of the Svinin/ Zhuk group.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
They just post (or rather posted) videos of the students of the Svinin/ Zhuk group.
Could it be NTV+ people who insisted on removing the vids? I've heard they were unhappy with their vids ending up on youtube. I wonder if Eurosport undertakes any actions this season.

skatergirlaj

On the Ice
Maybe the Russians actually give a crap about figure skating's global popularity and want to be able to share this great sport with as much as the world as possible. :clap:

I agree with you 100% gold. :rock:
How in the world does the USFS and IceNetwork expect children to take an interest in something that they never get to see.And children are the future of figure skating!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Could it be NTV+ people who insisted on removing the vids? I've heard they were unhappy with their vids ending up on youtube. I wonder if Eurosport undertakes any actions this season.
I doubt. I think it's IN. Besides, as I've said, the SvZhukGroup is happily residing on rutube now.