Ladies LP | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP

R.D.

Record Breaker
I thought this board international and there would be lots of ppl who enjoy watching her not just because she is your/their/our Olympic hope.

I was speaking from an American standpoint but if it offends people I will change it.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I agree with you. I'm not saying she's not talented - she is - but she is packaged very poorly. The programs are dreadful, the posture is bad, the costumes and make-up are not favorable to her skin tone. She's also slow and doesn't present well. I wish she'd ditch the twinkly piano stuff, get some colorful costumes and stronger makeup, take ballet lessons and skate to something upbeat.

I disagree that she's musical. I don't see it at all.

I'm with you on this except the ballet lessons, unless they are just for posture. No more baby bllerinas or pwetty pwincesses! Let's encourage these girls to skate like power houses! Ditch the plinkety plonkety piano music wherever possible! Even though i think the music is a little over-powering for Mao right now I think that program will only get etter with time!

Ant

Bennett

Record Breaker
I was speaking from an American standpoint but if it offends people I will change it.

Thank you for your thoughtfulness. As another poster said, I had just felt that there were a lot of discussions on the US Nationals, the US Worlds team, and the US Olympic team in this thread and I felt a little bit excluded even though I was not offended. But it was not thoughtful or nice of me that I singled out your post. I am sorry about that. Thanks again for your thoughtful response.

Kinga

Medalist
I also feel that her costumes could have been a bit more interesting even though they are nice.
I feel that Rachael's music, programs, and costumes are all pleasant and nice, but not really memorable yet. When she finds her own style, she would be wonderful to watch because she can dance.

Exactly, I just think that her dresses lack the character and something that would be in her style, something very 'her'. I think she needs that, because she is not the type of girl who looks great in everything (I really don't want to ofend her here! Just a 'styling' point of view). Maybe the costume issue is also connected to the music, because, I agree, that there would be better choices of music for her, that would give her programs a bit more character and make it more memorable.

I just don't understand the fuss about Rachel. The SP was really boring for me. I didn't like the music, the costume or the choregorahpy. There were jump problems in the program which i suppose might have affected her performance but i was just left cold not getting why people rave about this girl. The commentators seemed to agree with me.

Ant

I dont think that there is much fuss about Rachel. Some people like her, some other find her boring. Just that. No one claims that she is the best. There is no raving about her. She is just a nice skater to some people, and the most consistent US skater to most people. I only pointed out the things I like about her, and the potential, that she has (JMO). I did not prize the programs themselves.

I think there is a "sighing" quality to her use of her head, arms and upper back that extends her movements to the point of loveliness.

I don't think we've seen her at her best so far this season though.

You put it so nicely! :)

Rachael doesn't have an ideal body and that is something of an obstacle to my enjoyment when I watch her. In particular she needs to change her hairstyle (put it up high, as someone here said) to make her neck seem longer. But at her best, IMO, she overcomes her weaknesses with her excellent skating skills and artistic maturity in a way that I think is remarkable in such a young skater. I think we can look forward to a lot more improvement from her.

I totally agree with you. At first, when I saw her during the warm up, just skating around, I noticed her posture, and I thought 'what a heck, who is she?Is it Rachel Flatt that I was looking forward to see? How can this girl dance on ice?' But then, once she started her program, I had the feeling that the whole posture issue is almost gone. She was just lovely in her movements. Nevertheless, she has a lot of stuff to work on, there is room for much improvement here.

I'm with you on this except the ballet lessons, unless they are just for posture. No more baby bllerinas or pwetty pwincesses! Let's encourage these girls to skate like power houses! Ditch the plinkety plonkety piano music wherever possible! Even though i think the music is a little over-powering for Mao right now I think that program will only get etter with time!

Ant

I think that taking ballet lessons can be helpful for many aspect of skating and for the whole diversity of program types/characters. Taking ballet classes does not mean that someone would become pwetty pwincess ballerina, and I certainly think that Rachel does not want to be a ballerina. She already has her own niche, IMO.
Also, I would not want every female skater to skate power-sporty programs. That would be boring as much as every program being ballerina-like. Simply, it does not suit every skater, just like not everyone can be a ballerina on ice.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I dont think that there is much fuss about Rachel. Some people like her, some other find her boring. Just that. No one claims that she is the best. There is no raving about her. She is just a nice skater to some people, and the most consistent US skater to most people. I only pointed out the things I like about her, and the potential, that she has (JMO). I did not prize the programs themselves.

Perhaps i overstated the fuss, but i've heard many posters mention Rachel for a number of seasons now and this was my first viewing of a program by her on a real (as opposed to internet) broadcast on a big TV. It seemed to me like many people have praised her musicality which is why i was left scartching my head a little after the SP, but i'll watch the LP with interest and see how the rest of her season goes.

Also, I would not want every female skater to skate power-sporty programs. That would be boring as much as every program being ballerina-like. Simply, it does not suit every skater, just like not everyone can be a ballerina on ice.

Oh i agree completely. The problem with ladies skating (for me), is that it seems like the default "if in doubt" position is - put the little girl in a nice flowing dress, give her a nice piano piece to skate pretty to and the judges will love it. I think there is nothing worse than having to sit through the same bland type of piano music that most ladies skaters choose.

Skaters like Yoshie Onda being packaged up as "pretty soft" skaters when she was obviously a power house skater. Even Sasha skating to all the pretty princess pieces. I would have liked to have seen her skate one powerful program that really showed off that steely determination that you could see in her eyes sometimes before she took to the ice rather than give the judges what she thought they wanted.

Ant

Ant
Praise to be!! I get so tired of reading about ballet being a cure-all for all skaters. It is not! Only good figure skating practice can make a skater look better. If it involves ballet-like arms, so be it. One can practice those in front of a mirror. If it includes flexibility, Acrobatics will do it. If it includes character dancing, Spanish lessons will do it.

How many people who think ballet lessons will improve a skater's look on the ice? and how many lessons will it take to make this improvement? I really can't believe anyone who thinks a once a week ballet class as the thing for big improvement has ever took a ballet class themselves, and maybe never saw Giselle on the stage.

dancing_tessa

Rinkside
If it involves ballet-like arms, so be it. One can practice those in front of a mirror. If it includes flexibility, Acrobatics will do it. If it includes character dancing, Spanish lessons will do it.

I completely agree with you, you can practice ballet-like arms in front of a mirror. But it looks ridiculous!!! and I do believe that even someone who has virtually nothing to do with dancing but has watched a ballet performance would be able to tell the difference.
As for flexibility I must say that flexibility training has always been included in my ballet training program and I wonder how one would aspire to ballet dancing without doing that.
Spanish lessons for character??? What?? I have seen Flamenco dancers with no expression...

eleonora.d

On the Ice
I completely agree with you, you can practice ballet-like arms in front of a mirror. But it looks ridiculous!!! and I do believe that even someone who has virtually nothing to do with dancing but has watched a ballet performance would be able to tell the difference.
As for flexibility I must say that flexibility training has always been included in my ballet training program and I wonder how one would aspire to ballet dancing without doing that.
Spanish lessons for character??? What?? I have seen Flamenco dancers with no expression...

Oh well, if spanish lessons or spanish language knowledge were enough to be expressive, I should be more expressive than any skater out there :chorus:

gold12345

Medalist
Rachael bores me primarily because she is slow and seems to often skate to music that I would expect a grandma skate to, not a young person. Yes, it's fine to want to be mature and skate like a senior, but these skaters are still all young people. They don't need to pretend to be elderly out there. lol. Her music selections are just often so soft/dull and don't really build enough to get me excited. I think it's a Zakrajsek thing because Abbott's music puts me to sleep, too.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I was impressed by Rachel when she was a novice... now she's just another lady in the mix as a senior... nothing really stands out. She's just blending in with everyone else...

flying camel

Medalist
Rachael needs to be totall revamped. She needs new hair, makeup, outfit and she needs to lose the mouth full of trouble.

oleada

Record Breaker
:clap: :clap: :clap: A new poster named "FierceYu-na!" I can't wait for the GP Finals.

(signed) FierceRachael. :laugh:

Well, Rachael is most likely not going to the finals. ;) (unless Mao and Yukari massively bomb NHK)
That said, she's a cute kid, and I'm sure that Yu-Na of all people, would understand how hard it is to perform and feel self-assured when you're wearing braces. She smiled a lot more when she got hers off. :)

I'm the last person to suggest that all skaters be baby ballerinas or pwetty pwincesses! ;) One of the reasons I really enjoyed Carolina Kostner's skate at this competition was because there was tons of power and maturity in her skate - it was a woman skating, not a little girl. I suggested ballet lessons for Rachael because it would improve her posture and make her skating more aesthetically appealing. After all, all the skaters trained in the Soviet system took ballet and they were hardly baby ballerinas.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
I suggested ballet lessons for Rachael because it would improve her posture and make her skating more aesthetically appealing. After all, all the skaters trained in the Soviet system took ballet and they were hardly baby ballerinas.
As I mentioned in the "ballet" thread, Rachael claims that she does already take ballet. I don't see that it has helped her posture at all, it seems worse now than ever to me, and that is the biggest reason that I cannot get into her skating. She has good technique and a good feeling for the music, but so much is lost due to her poor posture and inability to extend her lines, point her toes, etc.

R.D.

Record Breaker
well, this thread has taken many turns in its lifetime. first, the ladies LP, then how Meissner was cheated, how we feel so sorry for her, and now let's critique Rachel's expression/lack of it.

Incredible :p

As I mentioned in the "ballet" thread, Rachael claims that she does already take ballet. I don't see that it has helped her posture at all, it seems worse now than ever to me, and that is the biggest reason that I cannot get into her skating. She has good technique and a good feeling for the music, but so much is lost due to her poor posture and inability to extend her lines, point her toes, etc.
I see Rachel as having a not-so-good physique. I think that is what causes some to think there is poor posture. There is no waitline and I think her dressmaker could at least improve on that.

As for Ballet, I just don't see it in Figure Skating. Maybe in the arms, but not much else.