Fumie's lutz | Golden Skate

Fumie's lutz

Bennett

Record Breaker
I do not know if this is just me, and perhaps because I am no expert, I somehow still seem to see her flutz.

I seem to see some changes in her edge at the takeoff and something looks bizarre.

It's not like Mao's flutz last seasons that was on a clear deep inside edge and a deep inside curve at the take off. In her case, her bodily position/move/direction, inside edge, and the inside curve all seem to go together.

But rather, Fumie seems to change the outside edge into an undefined edge, which is difficult for me as a non-expert to see it is either outside, flat, or inside. Her bodily position/direction/curve and the edge do not seem to go together. I do not know how to describe it, but I can just say that something looks bizarre.

But because she did not get any edge call or ! on her lutz this season, she should be doing alright seen by experts. I would appreciate it if anyone who has more knowledge and experience could help me understand.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
I've only watched the SP from Cup of Russia so far and i would have to agree - in the SP Fumie definitely switched over to an inside edge before she jumped, but the switch was at the very last minute - perhaps at enough of a last minute to not warrant a deduction. I was surprised to see no "!" on the score sheet.

Of course, the best technique is to be from Italy and fall or put your hand down on your jumps - that apparently scores you the highest :p (i know Caro came in second but i was disgusted that she got such high scores for such a flawed SP. I crave the days of 6.0 where one major error, let alone two put you totally out of contention)

Ant

Bennett

Record Breaker
I've only watched the SP from Cup of Russia so far and i would have to agree - in the SP Fumie definitely switched over to an inside edge before she jumped, but the switch was at the very last minute - perhaps at enough of a last minute to not warrant a deduction. I was surprised to see no "!" on the score sheet.

Thank you, Ant, for your help.

She never got "!" at either event this season even though she got "e" both in SP and LP at CoC last season.

Mirai also got edge calls at 2008 Junior Worlds, but not at SA this season. To my non-expert eyes, hers at SA seemed to use an outside edge.

In contrast, Fumie's at both events still looked flutz to my non-expert eyes even though hers looked much less clear than the last seasons' Mao's (Note: I saw Mao's practice video of her fixed lutz this fall. But she still seems to have flutzed at TEB and indeed got "!". But she only tried once so that I won't talk about her lutz this season here).

I feel that last seasons' Mao's flutzing occured also at the very last minute before the take off. But the stronger swing of her body and deeper inside blade and curve seemed to make it a lot more visible than Fumie's.

Fumie's blade seems to change onto some undefined edge at the last minute. To my non-expert eyes, I cannot tell which curve she is on. And her body does not swing towards inside as much as Mao's. She seems less clear than Mao in her use of edge/curve and the last minute bodily swing.

Yet, Fumie definitely does not seem to be using the edge and curve as the skater like Jeff does. Something seems to look sort of strange even though it may not be as clear as Mao's. So I wondered if this is acceptable.

Last edited: