Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prediction Thread after the Olys?

Prediction Thread after the Olys?

Bearing in mind, to wait for another Oly will be 4 years away; the limbs are feeling a bit rusty now; the urge to get away from it all after so many years; to think there is something else in life; it's time to make some money in a show; it's time to coach those little kids; whatever:

Whom do you think will leave eligible skating after the 2010 Olys?

Custom Title
    Tanith and Ben

Johnny...
    possibly Evan (I know they've both said they'll be done after this but I think with Evan it'll depend on what happens in Canada)

Down With It
    Whoever the OGM winners are.

Kimmie Meissner if she doesn't leave it before the Olys.
    Bebe Liang not sure but she could be tiring.
    Alissa Czisney if she doesn't do well at the Cleveland Nats

Evan Lysacek if he gets dinged in LA
    Ryan Bradley I believe will ease himself out
    Jeremy Abbott, win or lose the Olys will retire

Several Pairs teams will either leave skating or change partners McL/Bru want a gold Oly so they will hang in there til 2014.

Belbin/Agosto will be tired by the end of 2010
    Gregory/Peturkov will be teaching soon
    Navarro/Bommentre unless they get a 2010 Worlds or Oly medal

The above are just my take on the Americans. I am sure other national skaters will be disappearing after or before the 2010 Olys. Lambiel obviously and Sebestyen will try a few more Worlds after 2010 Olys.

Yu-Na (based on her own statements), Sarah Meier, Carolina Kostner if she medals, Miki Ando, Fumie Suguri, Szolkowy/Savchenko, Voloshozar/Morozov, Kawaguchi/Smirnov, Belbin/Agosto, Del/Schoe.

Plushenko, if he comes back.

The Kerrs might not retire right after but they will not stay on until 2014 Olys; By that time Sinead will be 35.

Also, what Red Dog said, but I'm not going to guess who they will be.

LKR722
    I think Joannie will retire after the Olympics..I would love to see her stay but I think she'll want to move on.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I agree with most of you that Tanith and Ben will move on.
    I think Johnny will retire unless he medals... then he will stay another year to prove he can. Evan will retire. I assume that Inoue and Baldwin will finally have to hang up their skates... if they even make the team.
    If Domina and Shablin win I think they will retire, the French will retire no matter where they place.
    I don't know about kimmie, she is such a question mark right now.
    Bebe will probably retire. I know that she is still young, but she has been on the scene a long time.
    I think Mao will retire only if she wins, Yu-na if she medals (which is inevitable).
    S&S, Pang and Tong and maybe even Zhang and Zhang will also leave the scene.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Yu-Na (based on her own statements), Sarah Meier, Carolina Kostner if she medals, Miki Ando, Fumie Suguri, Szolkowy/Savchenko, Voloshozar/Morozov, Kawaguchi/Smirnov, Belbin/Agosto, Del/Schoe.

Plushenko, if he comes back.

The Kerrs might not retire right after but they will not stay on until 2014 Olys; By that time Sinead will be 35.

Also, what Red Dog said, but I'm not going to guess who they will be.

What did she say? It's too soon for her to retire!

Custom Title
    Men:

Johnny will leave no matter what, I think, because he's been wanting to move on since the last Olympics.
    Evan will leave too, unless the competition in the 2010-2011 season is extrememly weak, then he might stick around one more year to win a big title. But not longer than that.
    Joubert-will leave for sure. Vancouver will be his third Olympics
    Daisuke-will leave. Injuries are taking a toll already.
    I predict all the current "old guard" will be gone because their bodies can't take so much damage. No one wants to be a cripple for the rest of their lives.
    Bradley, Scott, Abbott, KVDP, Preaubert will be retiring too.
    Oda and Verner might stick around for a couple of years, but not until Sochi.

Ladies:

Miki: definitely will retire. Sometimes I feel like she already checked out.
    Yu-Na: her too. The injuries are already bothering her
    Fumie: because she's really, really old
    Carolina: I don't see her wanting to continue.
    Kimmie: if she doesn't do it sooner than Vancouver
    Alyssa, Joannie, Sarah will go too, I think.

Season 2010-2011 will be so sad for the rest of us. :(

Quote Originally Posted by psycho View Post
    Men:

Ladies:

Miki: definitely will retire. Sometimes I feel like she already checked out.
    Kimmie: if she doesn't do it sooner than Vancouver
    I feel that dai might stay for a year or so after the Olympics because he has to lose so much time for this injury and may have a lot of things that he would want to do as an ama.

I would love to see Oda and Verner remain!

I agree with you about Miki. She has looked unhappy for really a long time. She sometimes says that she has realized how much she loves skating and delivers a strong performance. But more often than not, she talks how often she thought of quitting, how much burnt out and poorly motivated during the last season, and how often she cried (according to her, "300 out of 365 days during the last season"). I do not know if these are meant to be like casual venting that you would do to your friends and family. Not many ppl say these things at a public setting like work and school, not to mention through the media, unless they want to explain themselves when they actually quit because these words would necessarily bring certain responses and consequences. You may be pitied at best, but that would eventually harm your career if you want to strick around. I guess a part of her may truly enjoy skating as an ama, but she nonetheless sounds unhappy overall to the extent that she can barely keep it to herself.

I feel that Kimmie may want to go by the end of this season, but perhaps not.
    Last edited by Bennett; 11-23-2008 at 09:18 PM.

Custom Title
    Men:

Johnny will leave no matter what, I think, because he's been wanting to move on since the last Olympics.
    Evan will leave too, unless the competition in the 2010-2011 season is extrememly weak, then he might stick around one more year to win a big title. But not longer than that.
    I predict all the current "old guard" will be gone because their bodies can't take so much damage. No one wants to be a cripple for the rest of their lives.
    Bradley, Scott, Abbott, KVDP, Preaubert will be retiring too.
    I have polar opposit view from yours in the Politics thread, but I agree with you on this here.

Even 2010 Olympics might not be as glory as we thought for some of these skaters because their bodies are betraying them.

I thought Scott and KVDP should have retired long ago. Buttle's retirement was understandable but I wasn't prepared for the news of Lambiel's retirement before 2010.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 11-23-2008 at 09:46 PM.

Custom Title
    Seeing so many top names in this thread makes me sad. After 2006, S/Z, N/K, T/M, G/G, Plushenko, Savoie, Sasha, Irina, Shizuka, Liashenko, and probably more retired. But it seems like after Vancouver, even more top skaters will leave the ice. I can easily see "older" skaters leaving, but it will be heartbreaking to see relatively young skaters like Kimmie and Yu-Na go. Same for the skaters who just began to have career like Jeremy.

Loving pairs, dance and figure skating mycelticblessing's Avatar
    Pang and Tong will definitely retire. Craig Buntin will retire, as well as Anabelle Langlois. I'm not sure if their partners will stick around or also retire.

Dom/Shabs will retire as he is unfortunately injury-ridden. Del/Schoes will also retire.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the single skaters. Would Asada stick around if she won OGM? I sure hope so.

Men:

In the past he stated that he would retire after 2010, but recently he said he would like to continue on afterwards.

In the men's field Johnny and Evan will probably retire.
    In the laides, field I suppose, Miki, Yukari and Carolina will all retire, but I think Sarah Meier might stay on one or two seasons longer to try and clinch the European title.
    In the pairs field, I think both the Chinese couples and S&S will retire, as Inoue & Baldwin.
    In ice-dancing, both the D&S will probably retire, Tanith and Ben too, and possibly Faiella & Scali

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast