practice reports? | Golden Skate

practice reports?

fiercemao

Match Penalty
According to one report Mao's jumps were mostly underrotated... (sigh)

If true, that's pretty awful. It just shows you how fragile & volatile female skaters' conditioning can be even if you're the best jumper in the world. TT's training regiment by focusing on true 3lutz, 3a+3t, 3s may have thrown Mao seriously off track.

propronia

Match Penalty
According to one report Mao's jumps were mostly underrotated... (sigh)

No, that's a wrong translation. They mean popped jumps (triples turned into doubles or singles). Underrotations are not the problems. Actually, Asada's jumps are getting higher and faster because of the physical trainings. What's bothering her is that she seems still unable to grasp the timings of jumps under tensed conditions.

ks777

Record Breaker
I heard Nobunari Oda landed a 4T, how clean was it? How was Akiko Suzuki?

bekalc

Record Breaker
No, that's a wrong translation. They mean popped jumps (triples turned into doubles or singles). Underrotations are not the problems. Actually, Asada's jumps are getting higher and faster because of the physical trainings. What's bothering her is that she seems still unable to grasp the timings of jumps under tensed conditions.

Okay. That makes more sense. I don't think this competition is going to go all that well....But,better she have these issues now than later.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Mao seems to be struggling again. I think Nakano might win this.

I've been thinking this for a couple of weeks now. I don't know, I mean Mao's not someone you count out. But in an interview she sounded like she was not comfortable with her jumps, and mentioned she'd like to practice more than what Tarasova's system likes.. I don't think the problems she had two weeks ago, go away in two weeks. But we will see. People have had bad practices and gotten things together. A part of me wonders if she'll even make the GPF (I have flashes of Miki last year) but I'm not sure anyone other than Nakano can beat her...Everyone else is too inconsistent.

So Let's see. The thing is if Mao places third here, she'll go into a tie breaker with Miki, and right now Miki has a bit of a lead on her, with a tie breaker.

Yogudin

Rinkside
No, that's a wrong translation. They mean popped jumps (triples turned into doubles or singles). Underrotations are not the problems.

Then, what does this article means? Did Mao not only under-rotate her jumps, but also pop triple ones onto double or single? What does it mean? Would Mao do it once again in the comming competition?
But Nakano Yukari excecuted a successful triple Axel better than in Skate America!

propronia

Match Penalty
Then, what does this article means? Did Mao not only under-rotate her jumps, but also pop triple ones onto double or single? What does it mean? Would Mao do it once again in the comming competition?
But Nakano Yukari excecuted a successful triple Axel better than in Skate America!

Mao's problem isn't UR but popping of jumps. When she misses the 3F-3Lo combo, it's mostly because of overrotating on the flip. A triple loop combo is hard to manage when the timing of the first jump's landing wasn't perfect. I guess the "improvement" of her jumping ability has made the adjustment more difficult.

Mafke

Medalist
It just shows you how fragile & volatile female skaters' conditioning can be even if you're the best jumper in the world.

Since when is Asado the best jumper in the world? AFAIK she's never had a full set of five triples (though she's had a 3ax, it's less impressive without the five basic triples to back it up).

propronia

Match Penalty
Well, it's safe to say Asada is the best female jumper in the world at this point. By any chance, are you trying to say Kim (a lipper lacking loops) or Rochette (lacking 3-3s) are the better?. Asada is the first lady ever equipped with the 3A and two types of 3-3s (loop and toeloop). The salchow is a matter of the preference. As long as she does the 3A, there's no need to include it. Nonetheless she is ambitious enough to try it in this season. Pushing one's technical boundary is very rare virtue for a world champion's status.

cosmos

On the Ice
Well, it's safe to say Asada is the best female jumper in the world at this point. By any chance, are you trying to say Kim (a lipper lacking loops) or Rochette (lacking 3-3s) are the better?. Asada is the first lady ever equipped with the 3A and two types of 3-3s (loop and toeloop). The salchow is a matter of the preference. As long as she does the 3A, there's no need to include it. Nonetheless she is ambitious enough to try it in this season. Pushing one's technical boundary is very rare virtue for a world champion's status.

In jump height and distance, YuNa is the best. She can do all 5 triples. Mao's 3A is always pre-rotated and too-footed. It is not a real 3A. Even her 2A is pre-rotated. We saw her salchow in teb. Her Lz is not a Lz, and toeloop problem is also well known. She is never the best jumper.

Blade Runner

Rinkside

Not sure how mentioned popping of her jumps and lack of consistency qualifies her as the "Best jumper in the world" which seemed to have been "downgraded" as the best "lady" jumper in the world "at this point". Base on what at this point, TEB ? Certainly not based on her technical scores, GOE, or flutz, UR, OR..

It maybe more accurate to say she is just one of the better jumpers in Lady's skating.

Yogudin

Rinkside
Well, it's safe to say Asada is the best female jumper in the world at this point.

Well, maybe, it's SAFE to say Asada is the best female jumper in the world at this point, despite new Popping her jumps due to overrotation, Two-footed landing and Flutz. But it’s not RIGHT to say like that!!!

propronia

Match Penalty
Well, maybe, it's SAFE to say Asada is the best female jumper in the world at this point, despite new Popping her jumps due to overrotation, Two-footed landing and Flutz. But it’s not RIGHT to say like that!!!

You are right. Kim at her "best" can never land a two footed 3A or a little underrotated 3F-3Lo, much less Rochette et al.

Mafke

Medalist
By any chance, are you trying to say Kim (a lipper lacking loops) or Rochette (lacking 3-3s) are the better?. Asada is the first lady ever equipped with the 3A and two types of 3-3s (loop and toeloop).

Asada is tremendously talented. I'm not a fan but I would never deny her amazing abilities. She seems to be going through a bad patch at the moment, but hopefully she can come out the other side a stronger skater.

For my money, Kim is the best overall singles skater in the world at present but probably not the best overall jumper (though she's up there). And she does not, in fact, lip (in the traditional meaning of the word).

If I had to choose an overall best lady jumper I'd probably lean toward Nakano or maybe Ando. Nakano gets dinged for leg wrap (which I'm not crazy about) and hammered for micro-underrotation (which is just insane) but I think she's the overall best jumper among the ladies at present (part of which is defined in terms of consistency in landing jumps in competition).

Last edited: