An interesting pro-Icenetwork propaganda article | Golden Skate

An interesting pro-Icenetwork propaganda article

fiercemao

Match Penalty
This is getting very interesting. Remember a rabid IN supporter attempted to silence us and defend IN's ridiculous claim of rights at every turn on this site? I don't want to name the name. But here we go, this guy has just published another pro-IN propaganda article on his own site.

http://www.xanga.com/kwantifiable/683577893/item.html

So, complain away...the change is upon us. We either decide to help IceNetwork succeed or not. Either that or those who decide (for whatever reason) to fight against it, may succeed in destroying any viewing of skating on the internet in the future. To me, that choice is a non-starter.

Very interesting indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:

bekalc

Record Breaker
I see the point that it costs money for skating to be taped etc..The sport needs revenue.. I do have an Ice Network subscription. But I hate, hate, hate, hate, the whole monoply thing. For example if I had a choice between IceNetwork and Eurosport, I'd take Eurosport. Plus , I feel like youtube is great for promoting the sport. To bad Ice Network can't set up sponsers and put up programs with commercials on youtube. I mean heck, can't they do something like that with GOOGE AD sense. I bet they could make a (ton of money that way because I believe you get money per hit)

Last edited:

fiercemao

Match Penalty
I see the point that it costs money for skating to be taped etc... I do have an Ice Network subscription. But I hate, hate, hate, hate, the whole monoply thing. For example if I had a choice between IceNetwork and Eurosport, I'd take Eurosport. Plus , I feel like youtube is great for promoting the sport. To bad Ice Network can't set up sponsers and put up programs with commercials on youtube.

I have a subscription as well, but I only watch their GP coverage occasionally since I can find some live coverage or download videos with much higher resolutions, and sometimes I also relish the coverage with commentary.

IN's behaving as a bizarre tyrant. They claim lots of 'rights' which do not actually belong to them. I love my choices and I will not submit to IN's control.

I am also very very happy to help other fans to bypass IN to enjoy fs videos. I don't care whether other fans skip IN simply because they want to save money, or don't have high-speed, or are blocked out...

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker
I don't have subscription just because my internet service provider(clearw're) isn't great and I am not going to pay for something I am not sure if I actually get to watch them or not. The way those people are acting, i am certainly not going to subsribe IN.

fierceyuna

Match Penalty
Please don't treat visaliakid like that b/c what he said is right. Whether you're agree or disagree, we will continue to report if we find any illegal video that you guy post. As a result, your account will be suspend and you will be ban. The choice are yours. So, make the right choice or you'll be regret.

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker
Please don't treat visaliakid like that b/c what he said is right. Whether you're agree or disagree, we will continue to report if we find any illegal video that you guy post. As a result, you're account will be suspend and you will be ban. The choice are yours. So, make the right choice or you'll be regret.

your account will be suspended from who? what account are you talking about? I don't have IN account so they can suspend my account as much as they want! and I don't have a youtube account either! Plus you can creat multiple accounts with Youtube anyways??

ks777

Record Breaker
Please don't treat visaliakid like that b/c what he said is right. Whether you're agree or disagree, we will continue to report if we find any illegal video that you guy post. As a result, you're account will be suspend and you will be ban. The choice are yours. So, make the right choice or you'll be regret.

by the way how would you know that this was visaliakid's website?? You just join this site and how would you know who visaliakid is?? Makes me wonder...

R.D.

Record Breaker
you know, I think we can continue to carry out things "as is" without all this bickering about whether IN is justified or unjustified in doing that they are doing. It's pretty clear to me that someone is lurking about this site shutting down Youtube videos/accounts. Why help them out? By complaining about them- and here's the important part- making suggestions about circumvention on the open forum- I feel we're only helping them. So let's try and keep this all on the DL and carry on as usual, eh?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I would be willing to subscribe to IN and pay what ever they charge for the right to watch videoclips afterwards. But unfortunately IN does not allow European people to watch those clips which makes me as a huge figure skating fan to feel anger and sadness also... I cannot understand why it is so? E.g. in my country national tv is not showing any of GP figureskating and for Eurosport one has to pay (at least in my country). So, I´m very happy for those clips one is able to watch on youtube.

Last edited:

MissIzzy

Final Flight
I will not address this article, because its author has thrown one of my own phrases back at me as an insult in another thread, and a man who shows me that level of disrespect is not someone I care to address. I will say only I am deeply disappointed in IceNetwork, especially since I thought they were listening and improving last year. I saw them use selective blackouts rather than block blackouts for Junior Worlds last year, allowing people from other countries with no TV coverage to watch. After enduring bad bandwidth for the first day of Junior Worlds(I had sufficient bandwidth on my own end at the time), I saw the quality go up, indicating they were fixing problems. They also did not remove videos after the event, perhaps realizing they had less to gain and more to lose by doing so.
Now? It seems they have forgotten last year's lessons. There are block blackouts and video massacres once again. Since my own bandwidth has dropped since, I can't judge how they're doing with that, but if the complaints I've heard in this forum are any indication, they are giving everyone problems, and not fixing them.
And yet I am still subscribed. I am giving money to the organization that, right now, is trying to prevent me from properly *watching* this sport, because my bandwidth cannot handle their videos, and applying myself to watching a continually freezing stream, in the thought that it is a better course of action than there being no coverage at all.
But if I am condescended to in this manner more I may reconsider. This particular writer I will excuse as one individual.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I would be willing to subscribe to IN and pay what ever they charge for the right to watch videoclips afterwards. But unfortunately IN does not allow European people to watch those clips which makes me as a huge figure skating fan to feel anger and sadness also... I cannot understand why it is so? E.g. in my country national tv is not showing any of GP figureskating and for Eurosport one has to pay (at least in my country). So, I´m very happy for those clips one is able to watch on youtube.
Same goes for me - I would gladly pay for Icenetwork, if it gave me the opportunity to watch the events live. But it doesn't! They make it practically impossible for people in Europe (and Asia) to watch figure skating legally, especially if their Eurosport isn't free as Eurosport Germany is. They take videos from Asian and European broadcasts down. What kind of ignorance played part in that decision - not allowing us to use Icenetwork the way US-people do and taking those vids on youtube down - I don't even want to know. What were they thinking? "Well, who cares about people outside the US?" "Only the 13 colonies matter for the fate of figure skating!"

And then coming here and complaining that we try to find ways to watch this!

fiercemao

Match Penalty
Same goes for me - I would gladly pay for Icenetwork, if it gave me the opportunity to watch the events live. But it doesn't! They make it practically impossible for people in Europe (and Asia) to watch figure skating legally, especially if their Eurosport isn't free as Eurosport Germany is. They take videos from Asian and European broadcasts down. What kind of ignorance played part in that decision - not allowing us to use Icenetwork the way US-people do and taking those vids on youtube down - I don't even want to know. What were they thinking? "Well, who cares about people outside the US?" "Only the 13 colonies matter for the fate of figure skating!"

And then coming here and complaining that we try to find ways to watch this!

IN does not allow you guys in Europe and Asian to watch the events precisely because they do NOT have the internet rights outside of the U.S. If they can let you guys watch, I'm sure they'll be thrilled as it will increase their revenues dramatically. This farce amplies the ridiculousness and arrogance of them to hunt down the videos produced by European & Asian countries on youtube.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Please don't treat visaliakid like that b/c what he said is right. Whether you're agree or disagree, we will continue to report if we find any illegal video that you guy post. As a result, your account will be suspend and you will be ban. The choice are yours. So, make the right choice or you'll be regret.

Nice that you don't care that your stopping people from Asia/Europe from watching skating.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Nice that you don't care that your stopping people from Asia/Europe from watching skating.

Well if you want to see the event that badly - buy yourself the ticket, book the flights and hotel and go and and see it. Quite a big expense to pay isn't it? Might put you off doing it. What if you did and then someone took your tickets, hotel reservation and flight that you had paid for? That would seem pretty unfair to you having spent all that money and then someone else gets to go for free at your expense wouldn't it?

Ant

What if you did and then someone took your tickets, hotel reservation and flight that you had paid for? That would seem pretty unfair to you having spent all that money and then someone else gets to go for free at your expense wouldn't it?
That's not quite the right analogy. No one is stealing anyone's ticket.

I think the better analogy is, what if you paid a lot of money (or, anyway, $28), for your ticket and then someone else snuck in for free and sat down beside you to enjoy the show. Would you be mad or would you say, the more the merrier?

antmanb

Record Breaker

I think the better analogy is, what if you paid a lot of money (or, anyway, $28), for your ticket and then someone else snuck in for free and sat down beside you to enjoy the show. Would you be mad or would you say, the more the merrier?

It isn't quite the right analogy but it needs personalising a little bit otherwise people shrug it off as "some corporation". IceNetwork are having revenue stolen from them if people are getting to see the events for free in the US on the internet. Even more so if people aren't signing up because they'll "go and watch it on youtube anyway".

Ant

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Even more so if people aren't signing up because they'll "go and watch it on youtube anyway".

Ant

which is the mentality of a lot of people...

what would it have hurt to wait until the season is over before posting them - if the need was so great TO post them?

and before I get put on the list of 'evil doers' IN ain't payin me a dime for my opinion. :laugh:

Last edited:
IceNetwork are having revenue stolen from them if people are getting to see the events for free in the US on the internet. Even more so if people aren't signing up because they'll "go and watch it on youtube anyway".

which is the mentality of a lot of people...
To me, that is the 64 dollar question (I am truly showing my age by not calling it the 64 thousand dollar question. :) ). I am trying to jump back and forth between these two threads. Here is what McWicked just posted on the other one.

McWicked said:
I have no problem with IN, indeed, their service is offering LIVE coverage. I dont think they should be worried about youtube, what do you have there??? Just videos in an average quality at best. It's absurd! ...there's nothin like watchin LIVE, watchin the warm ups and more. C'mon, it's not the same watchin the event LIVE than a few hours later, when you already know the results and all the tension is gone.

I agree. You Tube is not offering the same product as IceNetwork is. IMHO it would be in IceNetwork's best interests to celebrate the interest shown in figure skating by the You-Tubers. Instead of shutting them out, take them in.

What would it have hurt to wait until the season is over before posting them.
Wouldn't that violate Icenetwork's rights just the same?

fiercemao

Match Penalty

I will have no problem with that while watching FS. I may indeed welcome that. That's why I'm passionate about spreading good FS videos with folks around, and passionate about battling IN's tyranny. :laugh::laugh: