Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Where are they now?

  1. #1
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    16

    Where are they now?

    I was just thinking about some of my favorite skaters from the past, and wondering where they are and what they are doing. Linda Fratiani was very special and her winning the silver seemed to put her in the "never land" of silver medal winners in those times I wonder if she is still involved--and what are other skaters doing now?

  2. #2
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,643
    I'm pretty sure Linda Fratianne is still coaching and teaching at Sun Valley.

    Also on the Sun Valley coaching staff are Judy Blumberg and Joe Sabovcik

    Judy Blumberg was the technical specialist for ice dance at the U.S. championships last year.

  3. #3
    Custom Title ks777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,131
    Does anyone know what these former skaters are doing now?
    AP McDonough, Katy Taylor, Sarah Hughes, Lily Lee, Tisha Walker, Natasha Kuchiki, and Nichole Bobek?

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    221
    I'll give it a shot . . . if I get something wrong, or if anyone who knows more than I do, do jump in.

    I believe AP McDonough is coaching in partnership with Jonathan Hunt, in the Westchester (NY) area. Just saw them at Easterns. Sarah Hughes is a senior at Yale, last I heard her major was American Studies. I think Natasha Kuchiki was skating with a show -- maybe one of the Disney's? I know Nicole was living in NYC for a while but I don't know where she is now. At one point Tisha Walker was coaching in California, and Lily Lee in Colorado, I think.

    As for Katy, she's still quite young, and I don't know if she's concentrating on school, or teaching, or something else. I'm sorry she didn't have a longer career.

  5. #5
    Custom Title ks777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,131
    Quote Originally Posted by nylynnr View Post
    I'll give it a shot . . . if I get something wrong, or if anyone who knows more than I do, do jump in.

    I believe AP McDonough is coaching in partnership with Jonathan Hunt, in the Westchester (NY) area. Just saw them at Easterns. Sarah Hughes is a senior at Yale, last I heard her major was American Studies. I think Natasha Kuchiki was skating with a show -- maybe one of the Disney's? I know Nicole was living in NYC for a while but I don't know where she is now. At one point Tisha Walker was coaching in California, and Lily Lee in Colorado, I think.

    As for Katy, she's still quite young, and I don't know if she's concentrating on school, or teaching, or something else. I'm sorry she didn't have a longer career.
    Wow, that was quick!! thank you very much!!! I wasn't sure if anyone even remember who Tisha Walker was.

  6. #6
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    60
    Natasha was/is skating for Disney. She at one point was Belle in the Asian tour of Beauty and the Beast.

  7. #7
    Sexy, smart and sterilized! childfreegirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    722
    Quote Originally Posted by nylynnr View Post

    As for Katy, she's still quite young, and I don't know if she's concentrating on school, or teaching, or something else. I'm sorry she didn't have a longer career.
    The last I read, Katy is going to college.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    110
    Katy Taylor is quite the mystery. She just disappeared after the 2006-2007 season and never gave an interview or an official announcement explaining why, leading to all kinds of speculation on skating forums.

    There was a vague statement from her publicist at the start of the 2007-2008 season saying she had an "injury", but it was never clarified what kind of injury it was, and nothing more was ever said. Everyone wondered for a while what was wrong with her and when she would return and what she was doing, but her official site was never updated with any information and she never spoke at all.

    Maybe someday we will see an interview from her on icenetwork or in one of the skating magazines telling us all why she disappeared so suddenly. I hope so.

  9. #9
    Custom Title ks777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,131
    Quote Originally Posted by libby View Post
    Katy Taylor is quite the mystery. She just disappeared after the 2006-2007 season and never gave an interview or an official announcement explaining why, leading to all kinds of speculation on skating forums.

    There was a vague statement from her publicist at the start of the 2007-2008 season saying she had an "injury", but it was never clarified what kind of injury it was, and nothing more was ever said. Everyone wondered for a while what was wrong with her and when she would return and what she was doing, but her official site was never updated with any information and she never spoke at all.

    Maybe someday we will see an interview from her on icenetwork or in one of the skating magazines telling us all why she disappeared so suddenly. I hope so.
    Maybe she couldn't do a triple jump anymore?

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,429
    Quote Originally Posted by libby View Post
    Katy Taylor is quite the mystery. She just disappeared after the 2006-2007 season and never gave an interview or an official announcement explaining why, leading to all kinds of speculation on skating forums.

    There was a vague statement from her publicist at the start of the 2007-2008 season saying she had an "injury", but it was never clarified what kind of injury it was, and nothing more was ever said.
    What publicist was that?

    As far as I know, Katy Taylor has never made an official, public announcement about her retirement from competitive skating. The last "official" update (with direct quotes from her) was the Houston Chronicle article that was published during 2008 U.S. Nationals -- link to the archived article is: http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/ar...d=2008_4500686
    I happen to know that, last spring, she was contemplating a comeback this season, but since she did not show up to compete at Regionals in October, she obviously changed her mind later.

    From what I have observed over the years, skaters who have achieved a certain level of success in skating and then encountered setbacks (injury, burnout, coaching and/or financial issues, etc.) sometimes will just drift away from the sport without feeling to need to notify people in the skating world about what's going on in their lives and/or why they stopped skating/competing. I'm assuming this may be the case with Taylor. All I know is that she is an intelligent, personable young woman with abilities beyond "just skating" and I wish her all the best in whatever she decides to do in life, skating or not.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    110
    Sylvia, please read my post again. I very clearly stated that Katy made no official announcement saying she was quitting or anything else. I don't see how you could have managed to take issue with that to respond to me that she in fact never made an official, public announcement about retiring, when that is exactly what I said.

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,429
    Sorry you took my post the wrong way. I was just curious about the "vague statement from her [Taylor's] publicist at the start of the 2007-2008 season" part of your original reply because I don't happen to remember it, that's all.

  13. #13
    Custom Title ks777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,131
    Does anyone know what Stephanie Rosenthal is up to these days?

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,429
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Does anyone know what Stephanie Rosenthal is up to these days?
    She was mentioned in this article (Parker Pennington's benefit show to raise funds for the Muscular Dystrophy Association) back in April:
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/archive.jsp?y=2008&m=8
    Rosenthal further raised the show's energy level with her famous "Rock It" routine by Herbie Hancock, which won Best Performance of the Year by the Professional Skater's Association in 2006. She did a double Axel with a small slip on the landing and high-octane spirals, spins and footwork.

    Rosenthal, a Yale sophomore, said it was great to be out on the ice skating again. Currently, she teaches part-time at the Newington Arena and is also part of a professional New Haven-based dance troupe.

    "I knew Parker from when I competed, and he's a very nice guy. At the national level, it's a relatively small community, and you pretty much know everyone. Even though you might compete against one another, it's really all about friendship and building great relationships, and we're all here for one another," said Rosenthal.

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nürnberg
    Posts
    318

    Juliana Canarozzo and Ye Bin Mok

    Juliana Canarozzo and Ye Bin Mok are touring with Holiday on Ice now. They are the stars of the show "Energy" in France.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •