Ladies LP | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP

ks777

Record Breaker
looking at the protocols, Mirai didn't land a single triple jump at this competition:cry:

Bennett

Record Breaker
OMG, OMG, OMG! Congrat's to MAO!!! That was fantastic!!! I thought that she fully rotated the second one, too! But still, it was absolutely fantastic. Her comment after the performance was really cute. She said that her last fall before the ending pose (Notes: for those who have not watched the program, she slipped down on the ice going into the ending pose) was a mistake for her, but that perhaps the audience who did not know the choreos would not have noticed it (????). Then when Shizuka and the broadcaster were rewatching the performance, they said, "It was not noticeable." "No, it wasn't". :p That was so cute:laugh:

Last edited:

MissIzzy

Final Flight
looking at the protocols, Mirai didn't land a single triple jump at this competition:cry:

This has officially become enough of a problem for every single American lady out there right now that I think the USFSA needs to have mandatory jumping lessons at Champs Camp this summer for the ladies. (Maybe Evan could attend too).

gold12345

Medalist
Protocols up. Interesting, a few years everyone complained that Asada didn't have any jumps but Flutz, Flip, Loop and Axel. Today she didn't do Flutz, didn't do the Loop - but landed a solo Triple Toe and a solo Triple Salchow. Both with positive GOE. I hope the Triple Loop makes a comeback though, it's her most aesthetic jump.

I just want her to do them all and then I'll have no complaints. To me, it's important to do the full arsenal of jumps in a program.

Nagasu didn't got credited with one Triple - it looks like Mira Leung's protocol from a few weeks ago. Two downgrades for Wagner, especially painful because it hit the jumps were she tacked on the combos.

:frown: Nagasu had similar issues at SA, but at least there she got credit a couple triples. Ouch.

propronia

Match Penalty
Looks like they did their best to prevent Asada to surpass Kim's score on paper. I had a feeling this is not NHK but SBS Trophy in reality. Anyway she will make every effort to avoid nitpickings in Seoul. I can't wait for the showdown. Landing a clean 3S is another accomplishment.

Luciana

Rinkside
Wow

Are there anybody who are angry at Japanese girls' pcs and other girls'?
I am. What the hell of Wagner's?
only 54?
but Mao 62?
It's ridiculous.

Kimmie Fan

On the Ice
This has officially become enough of a problem for every single American lady out there right now that I think the USFSA needs to have mandatory jumping lessons at Champs Camp this summer for the ladies. (Maybe Evan could attend too).
Lets not get too dramatic! :laugh:
I think Ashley and Rachael are our best bet right now.
Especially Ashley. She just set her career personal best at NHK.
And although I'm sure she is gutted about not finishing in the podium, the competition was quite fierce and she held her own for the most part.
Which is saying a lot compared to her more celebrated teammates - Kimmie, Caro, and Mirai.

Kimmie Fan

On the Ice
Are there anybody who are angry at Japanese girls' pcs and other girls'?
I am. What the hell of Wagner's?
only 54?
but Mao 62?
It's ridiculous.
Not really because Ashley's pcs was within 0.5 point of Yukari and Akiko....basically even.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Looks like they did their best to prevent Asada to surpass Kim's score on paper. I had a feeling this is not NHK but SBS Trophy in reality. Anyway she will make every effort to avoid nitpickings in Seoul. I can't wait for the showdown. Landing a clean 3S is another accomplishment.

In what sense. She got huge GOE's and huge PCS.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Yukari
Looked almost clean. She landed everything and delivered the program with such sureness. Standing ovation. So cool.

Akiko
It was really a gorgeous performance. She has great sparkle on the ice. Esp. the step sequence was fantastic. I do not know if it is just me but her lutz looks a flutz to me.

Nice spins and spirals. She is such a dramatic skater who delivers a great joy. I am glad that she got PCS as high as Yukari's.

Laura
Beautiful skating as always. Her posture is as straight as a ballerina. I also like her slim figure with long legs and arms. She has such a clean atmosphere.

I am so sorry that she missed the 3-3. But it was a pleasant surprise that she landed the lutz. I thought it such a great recovery, but it was unfortunate she kind of missed the focus and missed two more jumps.

Her spirals were underwhelming with wobblying edges, but her spins were good.

Ashley
I hoped that she medaled here but it was unfortunate. I think that she was noticeably slower than usual, especially after the first half.

Her jumps also did not get much height throughout the performance.

Towards the end of the program, she seems to have lost the focus. She looked tentative and unsure so that she did not have the sparkle that she delivered in SP and the two programs at the last event. Perhaps nerves got the best of her.

But her spins, spirals, and steps were among the best in the second group. I absolutely love this music on her. Hope she shines next time!!

Mao
It was fantastic. She looked calmer and less worried than yesterday even though she still looked anxious.

Her 3A was really gorgeous. Although she failed to do the combo at the first jump, she somehow tried another. It was great. I could not tell the difference between the first 3A and the second 3A in terms of the rotation. They looked very similar in terms of the rotation so that it was unfortunate that the second one was downgraded.

I really love the spead eagle sequence between the first 3A and second 3A. It is really gorgeous. I also love the jumps that come out of nowhere as if they were a part of step sequence.

Her entire program is like a long step sequence on this beautiful waltz. As I said before elsewhere, this program is like a large, gorgeous painting when it's clean. It is a pleasant surprise to see it so soon after the disaster two wks ago.

I thought that she was a bit slower than usual and her spins (esp.the final combo spin) were rather underwhelming. But still, her final step sequence was really fascinating to watch and her spirals were also fine.

It was also a rare occasion to see her smile during a competitive program. She seemed to be really on. I've barely seen her looking as happy as she was after the performance. Well done, Mao!

Last edited:

Betty07

Rinkside
There is no choreography in Mao's LP, today.
Only JUMP, JUMP, JUMP..

:no::no:
Too boring to me.
How did she get PCS 62.24?

L

LKR722

I was watching the ladies but fell asleep after the first group.:laugh: Its early morning here(North Carolina in US). Anyways I felt awful for Mirai..the technical caller seemed to get it right, I did not see a fully rotated triple. I love her presentation and speed so I hope she can eventually get over her growth spurt and her other jump issues. I missed Ashley and awakened again when they were announcing her scores. What happened? I'll have to go back and watch when the on-demand video is available. I am so dissapointed for her!I was really hoping she would have a strong LP this time. Her SP was magical. I still have high hopes for her. I got to see Mao and all I can say is wow!!!:rock::rock: 2 3 axels and one in combination!!:bow::bow::bow:

SXTN

Final Flight
I am sad for Ashley after that super short program.... I think she is the best hope for America right now... Did anyone notice in the short that her jumps really come out of nowhere?

Mao was fantastic ! Two 3A !! She proved to everyone that she can do it. I loved the fact she even smiled in the spiral sequence.. She has never done that before !
And her score was out of this world, if you consider that she left about 15 points on the table by not doing the lutz, one downgrade and only two combinations ( no 3-3 this time)... Well , ALL the other skaters have some work to do I'd say :clap::clap:

champs

Final Flight
I don't like making predictions so I never make a post in those prediction threads, but as soon as my most favorite Ashley started skating and landed the first jump, I got the impression that she was having too much adrenaline rush and I was really afraid something bad could happen as she proceeded with each element.. She really looked hasty. Well, the first three jumps went fine but after that her jump rotations started looking off-axis and I felt really heartbroken. I'm still heartbroken.

NHK chacked the whole of the first group on their terrestrial broadcast, I wanted to watch Annette and Mirai. They chacked Katrina too yesterday. It's like NBC chacking most of the programs at Skate America in their terrestrial coverage even if it's their camera crew shooting the entire events...and Russian NTV broadcasts everything in both cases. :shrug: I'm so disappointed.

catanet

Rinkside
Mao Mao Mao :love: Congratulations, champ!!!!

One thing I really like about Mao is that she's never afraid to take risks. Besides her enormous talent, I think Mao is the most exciting skater alive.

Both her SP and LP are gorgeous! I really hope Mao will do spectacular performances at worlds in LA and defend her world title.

Yogudin

Rinkside
Yes, just grabbing a gold isn't her goal. I'm looking forward to see the battle of two 3A's vs. three 2A's. The judges must face a big dilemma. BTW Mao's condition looks good in this mornig. I think the 3A is less risky than 3-3s at this point.
At first, Congrats Mao!
Yes, you are right! Her goal isn't just grabbing a gold. And she has given rise to the real Big Dilemma not for the Judges, but for herself to think about the real way to win over Yuna. Mao has got 191.13 points with two 3A’s and without even ‘!’ on her flutz, on the other hand Yuna has got 191.75 points with ‘e’ on her flip and without any 3A! Never mind of Yuna’s points-193.45 in the Skate America! Why does Mao have to try two 3A’s? That’s it! There is no way out for Mao!

Luciana

Rinkside
There is no choreography in Mao's LP, today.
Only JUMP, JUMP, JUMP..

:no::no:
Too boring to me.
How did she get PCS 62.24?

That's why I'm angry at pcs.
Yeh. Although I said Japanese girls' pcs, I can admit Yukari's,
However, I can't admit Akiko and Asada's.

Both of them did well but pcs is overrated, especially Asada.
62..oh my god..she is not Sasha.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
There is no choreography in Mao's LP, today. How did she get PCS 62.24?

That's a little harsh, since Mao had a good skate from all reasonable perspectives, but the answer to your question is - stop living under the illusion that PCS provides any meaningful representation of the actual artistry or choreography that happens on the ice. IT DOESN'T. PCS is little more than a contrivance, a disingenuous placeholder for an artistic mark that simply does not exist anymore.

No one in any universe, under any scoring system would or should have beaten Mao tonight. That said, I could have seen Ashley getting bronze under 6.0. Someone said she was SLOW? She attacked everything from start to finish, she threw in everything she had and did it justice. The crowd was into it, heck they somehow made more noise for Ashley than Mao, not that I understand it. None of that matters anymore. Energy, choreography, artistry. Yes, they help a little, when all other things are equal. But they all get erased in the face of a downgraded jump, or a few -GOEs. This is a technical sport now, and that's almost all it is, because of CoP. The asians know how to score the points under CoP, they wipe the floor with us, and that's the end of it. Abandon all hope, ye non-asian skaters who enter.

Again I don't really have a problem with the podium, and I'm not gonna cry over who wins bronze. Good for Mao, and good for Japan. What I have a problem with is the fact that skating used to be a lot more than it is now, and almost no one seems to care. CoP = jumping contest (more than ever) = bleeding off fans worldwide (except in Japan.) A hybrid system is the only long-term hope to save the sport. Work on fixing it now, or dismiss me and work on fixing it 20 years from now when people wise up. Whatever. Not anything I can control.

Okami

On the Ice
Mao's LP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT8Azr0Fq4Q
Amazing improvement from just 2 week ago! What a gutsy, powerful performance! I can't wait to see this program later in the season, when it will be even more polished. :clap: Great steps, and loved the passionate finish - too bad this time it resulted in a slip on the finishing pose :laugh:, but perhaps it was a welcome comedic relief after all the struggles at TEB! A great step forward for Mao. :)
I think the crowd has sore hands from clapping along with the music, and sore throat from all the "Oohs!" and "Aaaahs!" :)

Hopefully someone will upload the rest of the performances soon - Yukari and Akiko are amazing performers. I love their choreos this season. :)

Last edited: