Free Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Free Dance

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
OMG!!! Emily and Evan had a fall out of their dance spin. Look like one of them lost control and Evan fell on the ice and almost took Emily with him.They were skating sooo well before that. They look crushed.

ETA: 78.35 with a one point deduction. Into 1st place but I doubt they get the bronze now.

They had a fall like that at Nationals last year when they were skating really well. They have to get over that if they ever want to be amoung the top teams in the world.

lmarie086

Medalist
I find it interesting that IN could locate me today but couldn't manage to do so yesterday. I'm still in CT, but oh well.

Brobrova/Soloviev: stronger than at SC by far. I like them, and their Romeo & Juliet made more sense to me here than at SC. I just don't like that one music cut in their first step sequence- it's jarring and does not mesh well with the rest of the music. There's also something odd about her posture at times IMO- I think it's the way she throws herself into the moves. Still, hope to see them build as the season goes on.

Samuelson/Bates: I can see why people are impressed with them; their leg line and toe point are exquisite. But beyond that, they just do nothing for me. The program itself seems very similar to last season's FD in choreography (which emphasizes their strengths), which doesn't really do much with the music that I don't like. I want to see a story being presented (is there a story? If so I have no idea what it is). I can definitely see them finishing 3rd at Nationals; the judges have made it quite clear they like them better than NavBoms = [. Anyway, odd fall on the spin; what happened, did her knee just give out from under her? They lost some speed after that as well.

Gorshkova/Butikhov: there's something almost business like about their skating at times IMO; it's like they do certain moves because they know they need to get a higher score, and it comes across in their skating (I actually find some of that in S/B but more so here) IMO. A few minor bobbles, perhaps? I thought it was a clean performance but that's the only way I could understand them being behind S/B in the FD with a fall. And then a 1.00 deduction for a lift?

Pechalat/Bourzat: Much, much better than at SC. I still have mixed feelings about the FD itself; there are moments when I like it very much and others where it does nothing for me. But they seem to really enjoy it and that comes across. It is also my belief that they have some of the best lifts in the business currently. I don't think it shows their strengths to full advantage, but they will do with it what they can, and for what it matters, I think they should have won the Gold here.

Faiella/Scali: I'm going to echo a lot of the other comments so far; they are a very competent team who do nothing for me. I had hopes I would like them more this season after seeing some videos from a Italian competition over the summer, but that has not continued into the GPs. Shaky on the first lift, slow in some spots. I think she has some of the most OTT expression of all the top teams. I like the program itself more than at TEB; it's an original take on overused music and I appreciate that. But they (her mostly) don't do anything for me.

Can't wait for the GPF!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They had a fall like that at Nationals last year when they were skating really well. They have to get over that if they ever want to be amoung the top teams in the world.

Last season, S/B were skating as JUNIORS internationally and SENIORS nationally. They had to practice two different FDs, and because they had two JGP events and the JGPF, they had to spend much more time on the Junior FD. The lift they fell on in the Nationals FD was a new one they were trying in performance for the first time.

S/B skated absolutely perfectly at JW last season and they easily won the gold medal. I don't think they have to "get over" anything---they seem to know how to peak at the right time, thank you very much.

BTW, of the 33 dance teams who competed in the GP, S/B placed 10th (9th in terms of total score). I think that pretty much makes them already among the top teams in the World.

swizzletwizzle

On the Ice
Samuelson/Bates: I want to see a story being presented (is there a story? If so I have no idea what it is).

I think he (Evan Bates) said in an article that he is an artist, and he is turning her into his masterpiece. I could be mistaken, but that's what I remember.

ETA: I found the article. Here's his quote:

"It's very powerful," said Bates. "The ISU bio forms ask for themes, and the theme of this program is I am an artist and Emily is the masterpiece. I'm striving to create this perfect piece of art."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081019&content_id=53639&vkey=ice_news

Last edited:

sfgirl

On the Ice
I love S/B. I feel they will only improve with time, and I think she is quite beautiful.:)

dancefan77

Rinkside
ETA: I love Kim and Brent, but they are in so much trouble this year...I worry for them at Nationals.[/QUOTE]

I love them too, but I expected much more from them technically and choreograpic-wise this year than from what I am seeing. Barring injuries and meltdowns from the other American teams, I just don't see them keeping their third place standing at Nationals. There are just way too many teams that have improved their polish, performance, and technical merit. Summerset/Gilles, Samuelson/Bates, Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Scmitt, Matthews/Gislason----are all improved this season. I even saw Pacific sectionals on IceNetwork and I am impressed with how quickly Pratt/Obzansky have come together. They skate with a lot of speed and power. I loved their OD. And then there are the Hubbells and who knows how they will fit into the mix.

There are just way too many American teams that are competitive and improving leaps and bounds to make that third spot.

dancefan77

Rinkside
I love S/B. I feel they will only improve with time, and I think she is quite beautiful.:)

sfgirl, I love S/B too. I saw their programs for the first time last year after having heard about them on the messageboards a couple of season's prior. I think they have a lot of potential. I can see how some find them boring, but I don't. Besides, they are still young and are still fine tuning their own style and personality in ice dance. I love their OD---its actually my favorite OD this season. I love their FD too and their long lines, posture, and unison. They bring something different to American ice dancing and I am excited for their future.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Brobrova/Soloviev: stronger than at SC by far. I like them, and their Romeo & Juliet made more sense to me here than at SC. I just don't like that one music cut in their first step sequence- it's jarring and does not mesh well with the rest of the music. There's also something odd about her posture at times IMO- I think it's the way she throws herself into the moves. Still, hope to see them build as the season goes on.

Bobrova wins the gold medal for having the most extravagant wedgie of the entire GP season. Her 'tights' were little more than a thong and her entire butt was exposed for all the world to see. She literally MOONED the arena!

lmarie086

Medalist
Bobrova wins the gold medal for having the most extravagant wedgie of the entire GP season. Her 'tights' were little more than a thong and her entire butt was exposed for all the world to see. She literally MOONED the arena!

True..but I wasn't going to comment on it. :laugh:

Final Flight
i don't get the utter ignorance.
F/S - ignore all the conceptual ideas....they are still great performers - emotive and strong. now if people are going to bash their physical ratio - why not bash sinead's roots. :rolleye:

i guess its the cheezy audience appeal that really defines great skaters....

dancemaster

On the Ice
Too bad for B&S. Winning bronze here would have given them great momentum going into the fight for the third spot on the Russian dance team. At least they got themselves in front of G&B.
what do you mean the total scores for the two events=

1,Kristina GORSHKOVA / Vitali BUTIKOV 317.34
2.Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV 311,56

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bobrova/Soloviev weren't in the running for the bronze medal. They were 6th in the CD and 5th in the OD. They finished 3rd in the FD and 4th overall because Samuelson/Bates had a big mistake in the FD and Gorshkova/Butikov twizzled themselves out of bronze medal contention in the FD and into 5th place overall.

It was more a case of G/B and S/B not skating their best than B/S suddenly dancing into the limelight.

rosee

On the Ice
S/B skated absolutely perfectly at JW last season and they easily won the gold medal.

Yes, they won by more than 3 points but they did not really skate flawlessly, they had a bobble in the OD. And they won by that margin mainly because they biggest competitor Monko/Tkachenko (who won the JGPF) messed up both the OD and the FD. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they would not have won if M/T had skated flawessly, but it would have been much close...

casken

On the Ice
It was more a case of G/B and S/B not skating their best than B/S suddenly dancing into the limelight.

I know. G/B still seem to have the judges favor. I was just saying that doing better at this event (added 8 points to their total), beating N/B and G/B and almost getting bronze would be a good boost psychologically and give B&S a bit of momentum after what must have been a disappointing start at SC. Realistically there's only one open spot at Russian Nationals for them and the rest of field to fight over, so mindset is important going into that event.

I was just talking about a team that doesn't get discussed much but had a decent debut at worlds last year and have some promise.

I wasn't crowing them world champs. Yet. :biggrin:

dancemaster

On the Ice
Bobrova/Soloviev weren't in the running for the bronze medal. They were 6th in the CD and 5th in the OD. They finished 3rd in the FD and 4th overall because Samuelson/Bates had a big mistake in the FD and Gorshkova/Butikov twizzled themselves out of bronze medal contention in the FD and into 5th place overall.

one way of pointing it ;)

Kinga

Medalist
i don't get the utter ignorance.
F/S - ignore all the conceptual ideas....they are still great performers - emotive and strong. now if people are going to bash their physical ratio - why not bash sinead's roots. :rolleye:....

Yes, they are solid skaters, they have great technique, they have many fans. It does not change the fact the some people might not get into their skating. Could you leave us this option?

i guess its the cheezy audience appeal that really defines great skaters....
I am not quite sure what you want to say here. Are you trying to isult those who do not appreciate F/S?

Final Flight
Yes, they are solid skaters, they have great technique, they have many fans. It does not change the fact the some people might not get into their skating. Could you leave us this option?

I am not quite sure what you want to say here. Are you trying to isult those who do not appreciate F/S?

yes i can, if you leave me my option. geez people take it so personally.
if others can point out something mildly off-putting about subject A, i believe i can point out something too about subject B.

im not trying to insult. just pointing out an observation that people just jump to conclusion - "oh clowns with overused music" in contrast to "omg unique music they are soooo underscored"

Buttercup

Record Breaker
yes i can, if you leave me my option. geez people take it so personally.
You took your own subjective opinion and posted it as fact, then capped it off by referring to other skaters as offering nothing but "cheesy audience appeal", which was much more insulting and than anything that came up re F/S in this thread.

Final Flight
You took your own subjective opinion and posted it as fact, then capped it off by referring to other skaters as offering nothing but "cheesy audience appeal", which was much more insulting and than anything that came up re F/S in this thread.

that's your opinion.

those are my opinions not fact. if i offend you or y'all sorry.
just making a point how minute things are and still people are criticizing since their team is some how underscored or what ever the case may be. and i didnt say that all other skaters "offer(ing) nothing but 'cheesy audience appeal'"
so please dont twist my words. if you read it that way. my bad. please think twice.

can't people take sarcasm?
but yeah sinead really needs to fix her roots - unless she is going for the shakira look.

im just offering what i think aka conversation aka forum. denounce my thoughts - fine with me. disagree - go ahead.

now back to NHK FD: overall i seat F/S to be "neater" that P/B maybe its the contrasting of the two style soft and smooth vs happiness and circus-ness. expand anyone?

Last edited: