Stimulating? Addictive? And Dangerous for Kids? | Golden Skate

Stimulating? Addictive? And Dangerous for Kids?

Bennett

Record Breaker
My grandma says that she really thinks that FS is very stimulating because she always has a dream of FS after watching any FS performances on TV! She is worried that FS may be so strong and so stimulating that it could be a danger for kids. What would you think?:biggrin: I have been fascinated by FS so many years that a part of me agrees with her.:p

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
It is dangerously addictive. The first time I watched a figure skating competition on TV was the 2006 Olympics, and I've been addicted ever since!

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
My grandma says that she really thinks that FS is very stimulating because she always has a dream of FS after watching any FS performances on TV! She is worried that FS may be so strong and so stimulating that it could be a danger for kids. What would you think?:biggrin: I have been fascinated by FS so many years that a part of me agrees with her.:p

Too funny! This reminds me of all the concerns that were levied at bicycles when they were first invented -- things like they would wreck your health, cause problems for women, etc.

FS is sure addictive, but hopefully not dangerous!

Bennett

Record Breaker
Too funny! This reminds me of all the concerns that were levied at bicycles when they were first invented -- things like they would wreck your health, cause problems for women, etc.

Wow, that's interesting! I did not know that!

I do not know about the effects of FS on kids. But it seems to be addictive even for the elderly. My grandma never goes to bed until she finishes to watch Mao Asada. Even though she is currently worried that she might have a "life-threatening disease" (she's just had minor symptoms of pneumonia for the first time), we are sure that she should be fine as long as Mao Asada can keep her so awake. In her dreams, my grandma always sees recurrent images of a lady skater doing the spiral. That seems to be affecting her subconsciousness.:p

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Check out my title under my name. I did that because I normally had battles at work with the guys saying it's a "girl" sport. OR........it's not a sport. :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I'm a grandma & have been watching figure skating on & off TV for 40 years. In all that time I've only had 2 dreams in which a skater appeared. I have 100's of figure skating tapes that I've watched over & over. I agree that it can be as addictive as any spectator sport but dangerous? I did have a heart attack watching the Year 2 finals of American Idol but never had anything close to a dangerous fall or attack watching skating. It could make your blood pressure rise, I suppose, & if you are old you might have a stroke. I don't think it's dangerous for the young & healthy, tho.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Check out my title under my name. I did that because I normally had battles at work with the guys saying it's a "girl" sport. OR........it's not a sport. :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

Awwwww......:rofl:

I'm a grandma & have been watching figure skating on & off TV for 40 years. In all that time I've only had 2 dreams in which a skater appeared. I have 100's of figure skating tapes that I've watched over & over. I agree that it can be as addictive as any spectator sport but dangerous? I did have a heart attack watching the Year 2 finals of American Idol but never had anything close to a dangerous fall or attack watching skating. It could make your blood pressure rise, I suppose, & if you are old you might have a stroke. I don't think it's dangerous for the young & healthy, tho.

Thank you for your insights and I wish you the best with your heart condition.

It is amazing you only had two dreams of FS despite being so much surrounded by FS. I have often had dreams of FS, especially during the period of time when I had been skating myself. My body remembers the smell on the ice, the wind on the cheeks, scary falls on jumps, hocky players whose movements are unpredictable, bright lights at the ceiling that you'd see during the layback etc.
I have such dreams less frequently nowadays, but last night, I had a dream of my program that I skated to last time. It is amazing to see how the body still remembers all the choreos (at least in the dream, perhaps not on the ice:p).
But like yourself, I do not think that I have ever had dreams of performances of any elite skaters. Perhaps embodied experiences affect me more than virtual realities.

I do not know the adverse health effects of FS on kids, but I do know many whose academic performances went downhill because of the addiction. But if you are good enough, you might be able to get an admission from school without knowing how to do factorization in math. So there's some hope:yes:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I remember the scare you gave us during AI 2!!!

Blame RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBEN and Clay!

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I'm ok now for those of you who are interested. Just had an ultra sound done of my heart & there is no more damage than what occurred 5 years ago. And Toni, did you know that Ruben is touring with the "Ain't Misbehavin'" cast? They'll be in Spokane over the holidays, I think.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I honestly don't follow either Ruben or Clay's careers these days, if it doesn't make major headlines I don't know what's going on... sadly the critics of AI were right - none of these singers are long lasting (well, save for Carrie Underwood... we don't hear much out of Kelly Clarkson these days either)

Wrlmy

Medalist
I heard Clay came out and had a baby daughter with his lesbian friend like couple months ago. I have no idea where he is in terms of his career.
I don't know what separated Carrie Underwood from the rest, but when she is keeping a pc eastcoaster awake for CMA, she's doing everything right.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Clay is on broadway with Spamalot... it's his second run with it, he's very popular. He did come out as a gay man, and he has a son with a much older woman named Parker... if it hadn't made headline news I wouldn't have known lol