The skaters I thought did pretty well or better this GP season. | Golden Skate

The skaters I thought did pretty well or better this GP season.

enlight78

Medalist
The ladies that I thought showed potential and more during the GP Series
01 193.45 Yu-Na KIM (Still has a beautiful 3/3)
02 191.13 Mao ASADA (two 3A)
03 188.89 Joannie ROCHETTE ( more confident and cleaner than ever)
04 172.53 Yukari NAKANO (love her spins)
05 170.88 Miki ANDO (solid comeback)
06 170.72 Carolina KOSTNER
07 167.64.Akiko SUZUKI (pleasant surprise)
08 166.06 Rachael FLATT (3/3 ratified)
09 163.86 Fumie SUGURI (go fumie)
10 161.10 Ashley WAGNER
11 159.42 Laura LEPISTO (3/3 ratified)
12 157.92 Alissa CZISNY (love everything but the jumps)
13 156.54 Caroline ZHANG (3/3 ratified)

The mens I thought showed potential or more this GP series
01 238.09 Patrick CHAN(fist notice him in Jr's. I surprise how fast he steped up after Buttle retirement. Wonderful artistry improvements. The axel will come)

02 236.18 Nobunari ODA (He did better than I suspected. I thought the pressure and nerves might get him.)

03 233.44 Jeremy ABBOTT ( Suprise at his constancy. Deserves to be in GPF. He was always musical)

04 230.78 Takahiko KOZUKA (I first notice him last year. His jumps have improve greatly. I love his smooth style and he's the most cosistant skater this year)

04 230.78 Brian JOUBERT (quad king is having some trouble but still manage to stay strong.Great sp)

05 225.20 Johnny WEIR (Still relativly consistant even though not as good as last year)

06 223.21 Evan LYSACEK (I expected more from him but still medaled at two events0

07 222.94 Tomas VERNER(still an up and down skater but manage to reach the GPF.Beautiful quad)

08 222.44 Alban PREAUBERT (I love his goofy style and is amazed by his consistancy)

09 217.25 Stephen CARRIERE (He has great potetial.Hope he is strong at nationals)

10 217.24 Yannick PONSERO( I became a fan this year)
11 212.75 Ryan BRADLEY(He still has it in him)
12 207.93 Adam Rippon (I loved both of his programs)
13 206.56 Shawn SAWYER ( He showed that he be quiet clean and has the greatest transitions.I looking forward to Canada's nationals.)
14 204.89 Kevin REYNOLDS (Their might be a new quad king and his programs are quite entertaining.)
15 201.59 Sergei VORONOV
16 199.13 Kevin VAN DER PERREN(I'm proud of him)
17 198.07 Takahito MURA(I got my eye on him. Huge 3A)
18 192.23 Brandon MROZ
19 191.38 Artem BORODULIN
20 185.07 Kristoffer BERNTSSON(First time I seen him. I missed at worlds.I love how he gets into charater)

Pairs I thought showed potential and more during the GP series.
01 188.50 Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY
02 186.06 Qing PANG / Jian TONG ( my favorite is coming back strong)
03 182.22 Dan ZHANG / Hao ZHANG
04 176.97 Yuko KAWAGUCHI / Alexander SMIRNOV(great sp)
05 176.54 Jessica DUBE / Bryce DAVISON
06 175.05 Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Stanislav MOROZOV
07 172.69 Keauna McLAUGHLIN / Rockne BRUBAKER(I believe they could medal)
08 170.87 Maria MUKHORTOVA / Maxim TRANKOV
09 166.63 Meagan DUHAMEL / Craig BUNTIN
10 161.49 Rena INOUE / John BALDWIN (Hope they get better later in the year)

I know nothing about ice dancing.

Last edited:
For the ladies, it's a pretty big jump after the top three. I wonder if that will be the Worlds podium this year?

emma

Record Breaker
^I agree it will be very interesting to see if these top three are the top three at worlds. All three, IMHO, are fantastic in different ways (apples, oranges, and bananas, i guess - too hard to compare but love them all and don't want to choose among them!). I will say, though, that I am so pleased with Rochette's confidence so far and really hope she continues on this path.

Having said that, any of the next three could shake this up if they skate clean and to their abilities - worlds could be a nail biter for the women. Add in the US hopes of regaining three spots and the pressure that brings, and I for one, am really looking forward to worlds (here's hoping I actually get to see it on tv!).

ks777

Record Breaker
Ashley Wagner did pretty well. Her sp is one of my favorites this season.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I like this question, stopping to think a bit after the GP series to say who's where you thought they'd be, who's not, and who's even better! I must qualify my comments by saying that occasonial looks at YouTube and DailyMotion have been my only chances to see programs, so a lot of what I'm considering are scores and fan comments.

Ladies: Mirai's struggling more than I thought she would. I'm not writing her off for future seasons but think she's got her work cut out for her for Nats this year. Even though it was probably fantasy to think we'd see a lot of improvement from Kimmie, I was still hopeful, but I think her days as a serious contender are behind her. Rachael is continuing her steady rise, and Ashley is blossoming under Priscilla's tutelage. YuNa seems comfortable and in a great place for this point in the season. Mao, whose skating I've never enjoyed despite acknowledging her athleticism, may make a believer out of me yet with her programs this year. Joannie is showing an amazing breakout in consistency and show of superior technique and is doing far better than I, a fan, would ever have thought!

Pairs: Not writing off Dube/Davison, but surprised to find them out of the GPF. Sav/Sol right where I thought they'd be. Surprise GP event silver (NHK) for I&B. McL/Bru not making the splash I thought their hype last year led us to believe was possible, but from a more realistic perspective they're doing just fine.

Dance: Have Samuelson and Bates imroved their speed this year? Generally, they're certainly where I thought they'd be in terms of placings. Was B/A's move worthwhile? It appears they did, indeed, improve their basics as reflected in things like CD scores. Will their ODs suffer without Sphil, perhaps? Their FD seems strong. Now, just what IS up with Virtue/Moir, anyway? I know she had surgery for blocked leg veins, right? But all hush-hush from their camp. Do we know anything new? Dom/Shab coming back strong from Maxim's injuries. I wasn't sure where they'd be -- they're probably doing even better than I really thought they would!

Men: Not quite finished their final event. Loss of Dai for at least the season a blow, esp after Buttle and Lambiel retirements.

Enlight - I see you followed the total scores of the GPs and avoided saying what you, yourself, felt great improvement this year. If that's what your intention was then the list of scores will tell us something.

However, if your intention was just to name who we consider those who demonstrated notable improvment from last few years, then I would name;

Akiko Suzuki
Ashley Wagner

Yannik Ponsero (any guy who can skate in T-shirt and Jeans, gets my sportsman vote)

Kevin Reynolds
Takahito Mura
Jeremy Abbott

Pairs and Skate Dance there seems to be a club featuring the same good teams year after year Frustrating for new teams.. I'll be waiting for Hubbell and Hubbell to show up at Nats and see how that goes.

I could list those skaters who disappointed me this year, but I wont.

enlight78

Medalist
Enlight - I see you followed the total scores of the GPs and avoided saying what you, yourself, felt great improvement this year. If that's what your intention was then the list of scores will tell us something.

However, if your intention was just to name who we consider those who demonstrated notable improvment.

I thought about given an explaination for all the skaters I named but I felt it would be simpler to name them,post their score and put a few comments here or there to cut down on the verbage. I thought the score more or less can give a general idea of how well they did. Maybe later I will take the time to write more about the 30+ skaters.

Sinclare

Rinkside
Top Scores

Great research!
The woman in the top 12 scores break down to be:
5 Japanese
3 American
4 from individual countries
The men in the top 12 scores break down to be:
6 American
3 French
2 Japanese
1 individual country

It seems that Japan is taking over a once held monopoly by the North Americans in individual figure skating. I am glad but surprised that there are 6 men in the 12 top scores from the US. Is that all the US sent out this year? Russia has had such a strong history of OGM in mens and now not even a top score?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ice Dance-what's amazing is how tight everything is among the top 6 going to the GPF. Only Delschoes won 2 events. Then we have four teams that won 1 event each. The only team (and last qualifier) for the GPF, that had 2 second places, is B&A-and their total score for 2 events is higher than the total score for any of the other teams.

Special improvement awards go to Khokhlova / Novitski and Davis/White. Both won a bronze and a gold in the GP. For each it was their first gold. D&W have their first trip to the GPF. Additionally F&S made the GPF for the first time, although I feel they are at about the same level or less than last year.

Additionally, the Kerrs came out and won two bronze medals and were in good shape at their GP events. Usually they aren't in good shape until Europeans.

Joe, you shouldn't be so pessimistic about how quickly the young teams can excel.

A lot of credit has to be given to Crone/Poirier for winning a silver & a fourth place their first year in seniors, even if the silver was facilitated by Pechalat/Bourzat totally bombing at Skate Canada.

And Samuelson/Bates fourth place at Skate America and bronze at NHK was a very good senior debut, too, as was Gorshkova/Butikov's two fourth place finishes (NHK and SC).

lmarie086

Medalist
I'll be waiting for Hubbell and Hubbell to show up at Nats and see how that goes.

This does not really have anything to do with the topic, but I cannot wait to see these two at Nationals (or JGPF for that matter).

Joe, you shouldn't be so pessimistic about how quickly the young teams can excel.

A lot of credit has to be given to Crone/Poirier for winning a silver & a fourth place their first year in seniors, even if the silver was facilitated by Pechalat/Bourzat totally bombing at Skate Canada.

And Samuelson/Bates fourth place at Skate America and bronze at NHK was a very good senior debut, too, as was Gorshkova/Butikov's two fourth place finishes (NHK and SC).
Doris - You are absolutely correct, but I was thinking more of the top teams who year after year are the only top cometitors. The GPs are a selected group of skaters and regardless how well they skate, which are the ones going to the Finals? The same ones who have already won GPs in so many past years.

btw. I have not looked at who are the Finalists in all of the Divisions yet so maybe I will be surprised.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Skaters/teams that won their first GP medal(s) this season:
Jeremy Abbott (1 gold, 1st GPF), Ryan Bradley (1 silver), Yannick Ponsero (1 bronze);
Akiko Suzuki (silver in her GP debut), Rachael Flatt (1 silver in her GP debut season), Laura Lepisto (1 bronze);
Volosozhar/Morozov (1 silver, 1 bronze, 1st GPF), Duhamel/Buntin (1 bronze);
Kerr/Kerr (2 bronzes), Crone/Poirier (1 silver in their GP debut season), Samuelson/Bates (1 bronze in their GP debut season).

Last edited:

Nigel

On the Ice
First-time GP medalists this season:
Jeremy Abbott (1 gold, 1st GPF), Ryan Bradley (1 silver), Ponsero (1 bronze);
Akiko Suzuki (1 silver), Rachael Flatt (1 silver), Laura Lepisto (bronze);
Kerr/Kerr (2 bronzes, 1st GPF), Crone/Poirier (silver), Samuelson/Bates (1 bronze).

Sylvia...
Your post can be read two ways....
FIrst time medalists on the SGP (regardless if it is their first, second, third yr on the SGP...)
or
First time SGP competitors who medaled their first year on the SGP...

antmanb

Record Breaker
Skaters/teams that won their first GP medal(s) this season:
Jeremy Abbott (1 gold, 1st GPF), Ryan Bradley (1 silver), Yannick Ponsero (1 bronze);
Akiko Suzuki (silver in her GP debut), Rachael Flatt (1 silver in her GP debut season), Laura Lepisto (1 bronze);
Kerr/Kerr (2 bronzes, 1st GPF), Crone/Poirier (1 silver in their GP debut season), Samuelson/Bates (1 bronze in their GP debut season).

Sadly the Kerr's didn't make the GPF...or am i reading your post wrong Syliva?

Ant

Bennett

Record Breaker
Wow, I am a bit surprised that PChan got the highest mark and Nobu the second. I thought that both did very well and am happy for them. Yet I did not realize that they were the top and the second on paper.

PatChan was already terrific last season, esp. in edges, skating skills, transitions, step sequences, and musicality. Since he was already excellent last season, I am not sure how much better he might be this season even though he receives much more respect from judges than the last season. His 3A and lutz appeared more consistent last season than this season at least in comps. He may be packaged in a little bit more stylish manner this season. Last season his outfit looked, what to say "retro", which made sense considering the age of his coach. Where am I? I have a tendency to get distracted by and lost in costumes. Yes, I was a bit surprised that he scored the highest of all because he wasn't clean despite being excellent as always in other aspects.

Then Nobu, the second. He had a wonderful SP, which was among the strongest, and I was really impressed and happy for him. His jumps were fab, his spins were wonderful, and his skating skills were great as always. But his LP was not his best. It is great that his quad was ratified but he had three stepouts. So it is a bit surprising that his total score was the second best of all.
It is again difficult to see how much he has improved since two seasons ago because he had already had all the fab elements except for the quad and, I personally feel, even better presentation two seasons ago (I found his previous SP more sophisticated and beautiful than this one). He is such a fab skater, but I am not sure if he did nearly the best of all or has improved a lot since two seasons ago. But I am very happy that he did at least as well as he did two seasons ago and won the only GP event!! What a wonderful comeback that is!

Other than PChat and Oda, who else should have been the top? I do not know.
Perhaps Jeremy at CoC? He was wonderful there. He barely missed anything and his elements were all high quality. Especially his spins were great. I thought that he was really a beautiful skater. His programs were among the most sophisticated and complicated. His style was very elegant and delicate. To me, his style seemed a bit similar to Johnny's and Jeff's in the quiet, delicate, and sensitive quality. Somehow he did not yet to have the strong charisma that Johnny and Jeff have had. He looked a bit introverted on the ice. I hope that this breakthrough gives him greater confidence and stronger appeal to the audience.

Kozuka also scored among the highest. Even though he had some mistakes, he never messed up. Besides his program and presentation improved a lot since the last season. Last season, he was a very good skater w wonderful edges, skating skills, spins, and steps, but packaged rather poorly (he had okay music and, well, how to describe it, he had some bizarre costumes, something like a ping pong player). But he has a lot better packages this season and dances much better. I like this new look on him. Besides, he lands more jumps. When he gets his quad consistent, he will be a greater threat against PatChan.

Johnny has been fab as always and consistent since last season. I have very much enjoyed his skating, as always. But his base values tend to be lower than his competitors, which seems to have prevented him from winning, despite his quality excutions, wonderful basic skating skills, and superb artistry. Hope he will have everything at GPF.

Tomas is my most favorite. His skating skills and edges are among the very best in the field. He also has very easy, clean, and beautiful jumps including quad. His spins are fab. His steps are most interesting and exciting to watch. Yes, he lips but it doesn't matter as long as he lands most of his jumps. I am also very happy with his fantastic programs. He has great, great charisma on the ice and is most entertaining and fun to watch. I am worried about his tendency to faulter so dramatically and not to max out the elements at all. Sorry I was supposed to be talking about good performances at GPs. No, he was not his best in any of the performances and made major mistakes at every performance. But I am hoping to see his dramatic win at GPF because he has everything that can make him a great champion.

Joubert was great at TEB. I honestly have not followed him very closely. But I found his overall skating and presentation a lot more enjoyable to watch than I did before. It was a pleasant surprise. Even though some ppl said that his LP was empty, I still enjoyed it a lot. How to put it, he looked a more balanced skater than he was before. I hope his LP will be ready by GPF.

Last edited: