4 Carolina KOSTNER ITA
5 Yukari NAKANO JPN
6 Miki ANDO JPN

PLACE 7 - 9: SUBSTITUTE FOR THE ISU GRAND PRIX OF FIGURE SKATING FINAL

7 Fumie SUGURI JPN
8 Rachael FLATT USA
9 Alissa CZISNY USA

Best total scores for GPS
Yu-Na Kim - 193.45 (Skate America - 1st)
Yu-Na Kim - 191.75 (Cup of China - 1st)
Mao Asada - 191.13 (NHK Trophy - 1st)
Joannie Rochette - 188.89 (Skate Canada - 1st)
Joannie Rochette - 180.73 (Trophee EB - 1st)
Yukari Nakano - 173.53 (Skate America - 2nd)
Miki Ando - 170.88 (Cup of China - 2nd)
Carolina Kostner - 170.72 (Cup of Russia - 1st)
Miki Ando - 168.42 (Skate America - 3rd)
Akiko Suzuki 167.64 (NHK Trophy - 2nd)
Mao Asada - 167.59 (Trophee EB - 2nd)
Yukari Nakano - 166.67 (NHK Trophy - 3rd)
Rachael Flatt - 166.06 (Cup of Russia - 2nd)
Fumie Suguri - 163.86 (Skate Canada - 2nd)
Fumie suguri - 162.04 (Cup of Russia - 3rd)
Ashley Wagner - 161.10 (NHK Trophy - 4th)
Laura Lepisto - 159.42 (Cup of China - 3rd)
Alissa Czisny - 157.92 (Skate Canada - 3rd)
Caroline Zhang - 156.54 (Trophee EB - 3rd)

I noticed the top 6 scorers across all the events are the final 6 for the GPF.

enlight78

Medalist
I believe joannie,yu-na , and mao have an equal chance to win right now. If carolina and miki can clean up their program they could win. Yukari needs some mistakes from the other competitors. I think this year GPF competition is the strongest it's been in a while.

berrycute

On the Ice
So that means Miss Wagner and Miss Flatt are the top American scorers so far...Will they go to Worlds?

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
So that means Miss Wagner and Miss Flatt are the top American scorers so far...Will they go to Worlds?

GP results don't directly affect Worlds selection at all. Results at Nationals almost always determine the World Team, although the USFSA has some leeway to name others to the team if they wish. Usually, the gold medalist at Nationals goes for sure (as long as that skater is eligible for Worlds).

If the federation wants to possibly send skaters besides those who place 1-2 at Nats, they may look at things like GP and other international results to justify another selection.

Does this answer your question, or were you simply speculating about Wagner and Flatt and you already knew GP has nothing directly to do with Worlds Team selection? If so, I apologize.:)

harmy18

Rinkside
3 of 6 ladies are from JPN :disapp: somewhat like Japan nationals
I think the ISU should better set up some special restrictions, say the max No. of GPF from a country should be no more than 2.

Audrey19

On the Ice
Huh? What's wrong with 3 Japanese ladies being in the final? As long as they have so many high-ranked skaters, good for them! Don't we all want a strong and exciting field, no matter where the skaters in question are from?
Personnally I'm very happy with the final the way it is!

Germanice

On the Ice
I think the ISU should better set up some special restrictions, say the max No. of GPF from a country should be no more than 2.
Miffed because none of the US-Ladiezzzzz made it??? ;)

harmy18

Rinkside
Huh? What's wrong with 3 Japanese ladies being in the final? As long as they have so many high-ranked skaters, good for them! Don't we all want a strong and exciting field, no matter where the skaters in question are from?
Personnally I'm very happy with the final the way it is!

Nothing wrong with it actually, just because I wanna see more ppl from different countries, it's OK but a little disappointed

Instead of more ISU regulations, how about other countries coming up with better skaters?

yap, they deserve it, however; it's not an easy thing to have good skaters.

sigh, I just disappointed by the fact, nothing else,merely disappointment.
really sorry if I do offend you.

volk

Final Flight

So if 3 US ladies made it, you'd also be mad?

Wrlmy

Medalist

That really bothers me. JPN is a correct acronym for Japan.

This is not the first time it happened. It hs happened at least twice in the past. Japanese ladies are already being punished because of "max 3 for world team" rule. Why extend the rule to gp?

bekalc

Record Breaker

That's ridiculous.

ChrisH

On the Ice
And the US ladies got 17 out a maximum 18 GP assignments. All 9 of our ladies got 2 assignments except for Emily Hughes. All 6 GPs had 3 US ladies except for the CoC.

We also got 2 spots GPF spots in two of the other three disciplines. :)

enlight78

Medalist
sigh, I just disappointed by the fact, nothing else,merely disappointment.
really sorry if I do offend you.

I am too. I was hoping to see four jpn ladies but Fumie didn't make it and Akiko only had 1 GP assignment.

Blade Runner

Rinkside
That really bothers me. JPN is a correct acronym for Japan.

This is not the first time it happened. It hs happened at least twice in the past. Japanese ladies are already being punished because of "max 3 for world team" rule. Why extend the rule to gp?

It would be good for the world of figure skating(from diversity point of view) to put limitation 2/3 per country, so that more countries can participate. Personally, I see the current GP system too familiar with usual suspects :).

Jpn currently is the dominant country in figure skating(as US used to be not long ago), and I think more broad international participation is paramount if the sport of figure skating is to expand globally.

The fact of the matter is that such restriction exists in the Olympics for various events, and I see no reason GP cannot do the same by limiting 2/3 per country participation. As a figure skating fan, I would not like a particular country to dominate, as this is not good from a global reach of the sport stand point.

At the 07 World, uncle Dick gushed about the arrival of the "mind-boggling lyricism and elegance" of the Asian skaters, in a sport long dominated by the US/Eastern Europeans. A fair limitation per country would allow participation by lesser dominant countries to showcase the skating talents as yet unseen, and whose style as yet unadopted. Besides, top 2/3 skaters from one country should be enough of a winning chance. Furthermore, in the noble interest of expanding this most stylistic of sports, I humbly think broader international participation would help. Question: if all six of the ladies at GPF represented Jpn, how many of Americans would be willing to tune in to the event ?

As an avid skating fan, I think the current GP season is not long enough nor is it encompassing enough of all potential skating talents that may lurk in far corners of the world. Along with cap per country, perhaps ISU can increase the number of GP events and/or increase the number of entries to allow some hidden talents as yet unseen to come to fore and shine on the ice for all the world to see. And yes, I would not mind if any of the American ladies(who appear less than dominant these days) to have an opportunity to shine at GPF.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
they already limit the number for worlds... the GPF is smaller, I see no problem with having it be the all out...

the best of the best should compete, country shouldn't matter at the GPF.

oleada

Record Breaker
Show your depth during the GP.
Show the best at Worlds.

That's what I think.

Blade Runner

Rinkside
they already limit the number for worlds... the GPF is smaller, I see no problem with having it be the all out...

the best of the best should compete, country shouldn't matter at the GPF.

I am not talking about "now is" but "could be better", if you recognize the reason for the limitation per country at worlds, why not consider the same reasoning for GP given that it is the only "season" per se internationally ? Figure skating is a world sport as I know, and as such I repose the question:

If all six ladies at GPF are from Jpn, would you tune in and watch as an American ? In such a case how would you call figure skating a universal sport ?? Remember this is not US national, but international Grand Prix !

Okami

On the Ice
If all six ladies at GPF are from Jpn, would you tune in and watch as an American ?

I'm Polish. I can only dream of witnessing a Pole win a World medal or make the GPF. Yet I consistently tune in to watch GP events, Worlds and Euros. So does my mother and so did my grandfather (may he rest in peace). I care about good skating, not nationality. Is the American approach really that different from mine?

In such a case how would you call figure skating a universal sport ??

Yes, because everyone CAN compete and win. They just need to be good enough.