Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33

Thread: Is Golden Skate going downhill because of childish fights between Yuna and Mao fans?

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    286

    Is Golden Skate going downhill because of childish fights between Yuna and Mao fans?

    Quote Originally Posted by PftJump View Post
    Mao is the meanest flutz jumper I've ever seen.
    We can see that just through Her odd lutz timing.
    The other players do a lutz at the moment that their edge get changed from 'in' to 'out' - even all of the famous flutz jumpers.
    But Mao is doing it, 'in', (very long)'out' and 'in' timing.
    It's not more than for cheating the judges intentionally.
    She obviously intends to deceive the judges with her long, long outedge gliding.
    Long outedge gliding is abnormal acting.
    No one (who is normal) wants place her(or his) center of gravity outside for that long time.
    Under that condition, there can't be a lutz jump, because it's impossible to keep her(his) balance outside the body for such a long time.
    During the Long outedge gliding, her(his) center of gravity gets back inside.
    That's why the other skaters do a lutz at the moment that their edge get changed from 'in' to 'out'.
    Mao couldn't her old bad habit, she just became deceitful and tricky in this season.
    Very disappointed.
    Seriously this is sooooo far out of order it's almost laughable. Ya know GS used to be a quality forum before the Korean invasion. Now almost every thread turns into a denegration of Mao or Yu-Na, although Mao comes off far worse at the hands of some of these so called 'fans' and 'experts'. Experts indeed. Bashing someone over something you can't even do yourself is beyond really not cool.

  2. #2
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    Seriously this is sooooo far out of order it's almost laughable. Ya know GS used to be a quality forum before the Korean invasion. Now almost every thread turns into a denegration of Mao or Yu-Na, although Mao comes off far worse at the hands of some of these so called 'fans' and 'experts'. Experts indeed. Bashing someone over something you can't even do yourself is beyond really not cool.
    Has been GS a quality japanese territory?
    Is Mao off far worse than Yu-na?
    Please, just laugh! That is it all you need!

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    Seriously this is sooooo far out of order it's almost laughable. Ya know GS used to be a quality forum before the Korean invasion. Now almost every thread turns into a denegration of Mao or Yu-Na, although Mao comes off far worse at the hands of some of these so called 'fans' and 'experts'. Experts indeed. Bashing someone over something you can't even do yourself is beyond really not cool.
    Uncalled for.

    http://trends.google.com/websites?q=...index.php&sa=N

    1. United States
    2. Japan
    3. Canada

  4. #4
    Custom Title ks777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,071
    Quote Originally Posted by shallwedansu View Post
    Uncalled for.

    http://trends.google.com/websites?q=...index.php&sa=N

    1. United States
    2. Japan
    3. Canada
    floskate didn't say that koreans are taking over the board! and I agree with floskate. But I guess these people will diseapear once Yuna is gone because I dont' think they are even interested in figure skating. It seems to me that they only care about Yuna winning and not the sport.

  5. #5
    Custom Title verysmuchso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    floskate didn't say that koreans are taking over the board! and I agree with floskate. But I guess these people will diseapear once Yuna is gone because I dont' think they are even interested in figure skating. It seems to me that they only care about Yuna winning and not the sport.
    Who are you to say whether other people participating in this forum are 'interested' in figure skating or not? Are you equating all Yuna's fans with 'these peole'? I beg you to name specific names, if you want to wage a turf war aginst these or those people. Really unnecessary and unhelpful remark!

  6. #6
    Custom Title verysmuchso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    Seriously this is sooooo far out of order it's almost laughable. Ya know GS used to be a quality forum before the Korean invasion. Now almost every thread turns into a denegration of Mao or Yu-Na, although Mao comes off far worse at the hands of some of these so called 'fans' and 'experts'. Experts indeed. Bashing someone over something you can't even do yourself is beyond really not cool.
    I totally agree that the tone in GS has recently changed somewhat for the worse. But, I certainly don't see you as a standard bearer for GS, especially when you pin it on a particularly nationality. I really can't take you seriously, if that's the best you can come up with in your effort to promote civility in this forum.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    floskate didn't say that koreans are taking over the board! and I agree with floskate.
    floskate said "Korean invasion"
    I'm merely pointing out this so called "invasion" is an exaggeration. They're aren't nearly as many people from Korea visiting this forum than there are Americans, Japanese, or Canadians.
    Besides, it's just another of many remarks I've read in this forum that come down to race. I think in floskate's mind, GS would be a better place without any Korean people, am I right? That's just discriminatory if you ask me.

    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    But I guess these people will diseapear once Yuna is gone because I dont' think they are even interested in figure skating. It seems to me that they only care about Yuna winning and not the sport.
    These people are genuine fans inspired by a skater. Look, every growing fanbase has to start somewhere. The U.S. has years of skating history. It's a nationally loved sport (or was... the interest has been dwindling). The same goes for Canada and Japan. They have had top skaters from their country for decades now.

    Countries with a figure skating history will always have a fanbase. But these fans don't appear out of nowhere. They had to have started with an interest of a skater. Don't put it against Korean fans just because they don't have a long history of figure skating. The Korean fans will be the first to admit it. Before Yu-Na, there was no one and they had zero interest in the sport. But Yu-Na became a rising star in the sport. How else would you expect Korean fans to react? By IGNORING her talent? No, obviously they're going to embrace her. Yu-Na started a figure skating wave in her country. She is the starting point for them. They don't have anyone else to look back on. They don't have a great history of the sport like most other countries represented in figure skating competitions.

    And who is to say Yu-Na will be the last great skater of her country? I bet there are more little girls in Korea right now inspired to start skating because of Yu-Na, than there are girls in America inspired by any of the U.S. ladies right now. It might be some time before there is another great like Yu-Na coming from Korea, but she is the catalyst in her country.
    Last edited by shallwedansu; 11-29-2008 at 05:48 PM.

  8. #8
    Custom Title ks777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,071
    Quote Originally Posted by shallwedansu View Post
    floskate said "Korean invasion"
    I'm merely pointing out this so called "invasion" is an exaggeration. They're aren't nearly as many people from Korea visiting this forum than there are Americans, Japanese, or Canadians.
    Besides, it's just another of many remarks I've read in this forum that come down to race. I think in floskate's mind, GS would be a better place without any Korean people, am I right? That's just discriminatory if you ask me.


    These people are genuine fans inspired by a skater. Look, every growing fanbase has to start somewhere. The U.S. has years of skating history. It's a nationally loved sport (or was... the interest has been dwindling). The same goes for Canada and Japan. They have had top skaters from their country for decades now.

    Countries with a figure skating history will always have a fanbase. But these fans don't appear out of nowhere. They had to have started with an interest of a skater. Don't put it against Korean fans just because they don't have a long history of figure skating. The Korean fans will be the first to admit it. Before Yu-Na, there was no one and they had zero interest in the sport. But Yu-Na became a rising star in the sport. How else would you expect Korean fans to react? By IGNORING her talent? No, obviously they're going to embrace her. Yu-Na started a figure skating wave in her country. She is the starting point for them. They don't have anyone else to look back on. They don't have a great history of the sport like most other countries represented in figure skating competitions.

    And who is to say Yu-Na will be the last great skater of her country? I bet there are more little girls in Korea right now inspired to start skating because of Yu-Na, than there are girls in America inspired by any of the U.S. ladies right now. It might be some time before there is another great like Yu-Na coming from Korea, but she is the catalyst in her country.

    You are right. I just hope some yuna fans won't put other skaters down in order to make Yuna look so much better. I do like Yuna's SP and LP much better than Mao's myself this season.

    What I can't stand is when some of the fans putting so much effort into trash talking other skaters as if Yuna is god.

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by verysmuchso View Post
    I totally agree that the tone in GS has recently changed somewhat for the worse. But, I certainly don't see you as a standard bearer for GS, especially when you pin it on a particularly nationality. I really can't take you seriously, if that's the best you can come up with in your effort to promote civility in this forum.
    Erm where did I say I was a standard bearer of anything? Don't start pontificating on things that aren't even in my post!

    The fact is that since 2006 the tone on many boards has turned particularly nasty when comparing Mao and YuNa. I think there's more than enough evidence posted here to show that YuNa's 'fans' are far more vociferous in pursuit of bashing Asada than vice versa, although there are certainly those who go straight for YuNa at any opportunity. I don't condone either but you agreed with me that the tone has gone downhill here and there's one reason for that and one reason only IMO. Just go and do the stats for yourself.

    And where was I trying to promote civility on this forum? Again you seem to be able to read waaaaay more into my post than I was thinking when I wrote it. Perhaps you might be better employed actually re-reading before you post such an innacurate rebuttal in future?

    What I will say is that the so called 'fans' of these girls who spend their entire lives on the internet denigrating both skaters with ridiculous videos as so kindly posted above by the ever ridiculous jaejang2001 (that was a salchow through and through. Even Ulrich himself would say so if he were alive today ) are doing so much harm to this sport. When did we ever have two such wonderfully talented competitors consistently raising the standard and pushing the barriers of this sport skate at the same time? True skating fans, no matter who they actually prefer, realise that and are grateful for it. At the end of the day I care more about the sport itself than any individual skater or pompous idiots who talk out of their backside about skating when they blatantly don't know any better.

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by shallwedansu View Post
    floskate said "Korean invasion"
    I'm merely pointing out this so called "invasion" is an exaggeration. They're aren't nearly as many people from Korea visiting this forum than there are Americans, Japanese, or Canadians.
    Besides, it's just another of many remarks I've read in this forum that come down to race. I think in floskate's mind, GS would be a better place without any Korean people, am I right? .
    No you're wrong. There's a massive difference in people visiting a forum and people actually posting at it. If you take the time to read any thread on ladies it always comes down to Mao and Yu Na and it always ends in the gutter.

    I'm sorry you took my post as a denigration of any race. That's so not what I'm about. I have nothing against Koreans at all. I've visited the country on many occasions and loved every minute of my time there, just as I have in Japan. But you cannot deny that many Korean posters have made some pretty horrendous comments about Mao over the last couple of years, particularly on youtube and more recently here. Well that's not on. Those are not true skating fans and THAT is what I have an issue with. The fact that many of them are Korean is neither here nor there IMO. It's their behaviour that is damaging the sport and driving people away. And if you don't believer that then you're more naive than is good for anyone!
    Last edited by floskate; 11-29-2008 at 06:34 PM.

  11. #11
    Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,517
    Quote Originally Posted by shallwedansu View Post
    floskate said "Korean invasion"
    I'm merely pointing out this so called "invasion" is an exaggeration. They're aren't nearly as many people from Korea visiting this forum than there are Americans, Japanese, or Canadians.
    Besides, it's just another of many remarks I've read in this forum that come down to race. I think in floskate's mind, GS would be a better place without any Korean people, am I right? That's just discriminatory if you ask me.


    These people are genuine fans inspired by a skater. Look, every growing fanbase has to start somewhere. The U.S. has years of skating history. It's a nationally loved sport (or was... the interest has been dwindling). The same goes for Canada and Japan. They have had top skaters from their country for decades now.

    Countries with a figure skating history will always have a fanbase. But these fans don't appear out of nowhere. They had to have started with an interest of a skater. Don't put it against Korean fans just because they don't have a long history of figure skating. The Korean fans will be the first to admit it. Before Yu-Na, there was no one and they had zero interest in the sport. But Yu-Na became a rising star in the sport. How else would you expect Korean fans to react? By IGNORING her talent? No, obviously they're going to embrace her. Yu-Na started a figure skating wave in her country. She is the starting point for them. They don't have anyone else to look back on. They don't have a great history of the sport like most other countries represented in figure skating competitions.

    And who is to say Yu-Na will be the last great skater of her country? I bet there are more little girls in Korea right now inspired to start skating because of Yu-Na, than there are girls in America inspired by any of the U.S. ladies right now. It might be some time before there is another great like Yu-Na coming from Korea, but she is the catalyst in her country.
    It's just funny how a population that knew almost nothing about the sport before a certain skater suddenly have all these "experts" now discussing and analyzing to death the faults of the rival of their national sweet heart. Korean fans certainly are passionate. But you are right, fandom of a sport needs to start somewhere. I just hope these "experts" don't disappear all of sudden when Kim retires.
    Last edited by shine; 11-29-2008 at 06:30 PM.

  12. #12
    Custom Title verysmuchso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    Erm where did I say I was a standard bearer of anything? Don't start pontificating on things that aren't even in my post!

    The fact is that since 2006 the tone on many boards has turned particularly nasty when comparing Mao and YuNa. I think there's more than enough evidence posted here to show that YuNa's 'fans' are far more vociferous in pursuit of bashing Asada than vice versa, although there are certainly those who go straight for YuNa at any opportunity. I don't condone either but you agreed with me that the tone has gone downhill here and there's one reason for that and one reason only IMO. Just go and do the stats for yourself.

    And where was I trying to promote civility on this forum? Again you seem to be able to read waaaaay more into my post than I was thinking when I wrote it. Perhaps you might be better employed actually re-reading before you post such an innacurate rebuttal in future?

    What I will say is that the so called 'fans' of these girls who spend their entire lives on the internet denigrating both skaters with ridiculous videos as so kindly posted above by the ever ridiculous jaejang2001 (that was a salchow through and through. Even Ulrich himself would say so if he were alive today ) are doing so much harm to this sport. When did we ever have two such wonderfully talented competitors consistently raising the standard and pushing the barriers of this sport skate at the same time? True skating fans, no matter who they actually prefer, realise that and are grateful for it. At the end of the day I care more about the sport itself than any individual skater or pompous idiots who talk out of their backside about skating when they blatantly don't know any better.
    To make a long story short, are you saying that you regret having said " GS used to be a quality forum before the Korean invasion"? Or have I again misunderstood your meaning?

  13. #13
    Custom Title verysmuchso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    It's just funny how a population that knew almost nothing about the sport before a certain skater suddenly have all these "experts" now discussing and analyzing to death the faults of the rival of their national sweet heart. Korean fans certainly are passionate. But you are right, fandom of a sport needs to start somewhere. I just hope these "experts" don't disappear all of sudden when Kim retires.
    Isn't it really quite funny that the entire Korean figure skating fan base has to prove to you, shine, that they are bona fide skating fans? The word 'smug' comes to mind.

  14. #14
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    It's just funny how a population that knew almost nothing about the sport before a certain skater suddenly have all these "experts" now discussing and analyzing to death the faults of the rival of their national sweet heart. Korean fans certainly are passionate. But you are right, fandom of a sport needs to start somewhere. I just hope these "experts" don't disappear all of sudden when Kim retires.
    Wow! they just really hope these korean "experts" do disapper all of sudden even before when Yu-na retires. That's the way for them to keep GS forum in the refined fashion as they have been so far! These korean experts really do never hope japanese experts do disapper when some Miracle retires.
    Last edited by Yogudin; 11-29-2008 at 07:03 PM.

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    No you're wrong. There's a massive difference in people visiting a forum and people actually posting at it. If you take the time to read any thread on ladies it always comes down to Mao and Yu Na and it always ends in the gutter.
    The certain fans you're annoyed at (as well as I am) are a small fraction of an entire fanbase. They're the really vocal ones who are aggressive and belligerent. You said "Korean invasion" which I don't know how else to take except that you meant any fan who is Korean. Part of this "Korean invasion" includes several people on this forum who are from Korea and are quite nice in their posts and offer a lot of informative things about Yu-Na and figure skating in Korea, information that those of us who don't live in Korea nor are Korean, would not have known without them.

    All I want to point out is maybe "Korean invasion" is a sweeping generalization, because it seems to say anyone in this forum who is Korean, has contributed to the quality of this forum going down and is always a part of a Yu-Na vs Mao fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    I'm sorry you took my post as a denigration of any race. That's so not what I'm about. I have nothing against Koreans at all. I've visited the country on many occasions and loved every minute of my time there, just as I have in Japan. But you cannot deny that many Korean posters have made some pretty horrendous comments about Mao over the last couple of years, particularly on youtube and more recently here. Well that's not on. Those are not true skating fans and THAT is what i ahve an issue with. The fact that many of them are Korean is neither here nor there IMO. It's their behaviour that is damagine the sport and driving people away. And if you don't believer that then you're more naive than is good for anyone!
    I'm not denying many of these fans, Korean and Japanese, get carried away (Youtube is probably the ugliest battlefield between the two). I also agree, that's not what true appreciation for figure skating is about and their behavior is not only damaging the sport, but sadly, it also ruins the reputation of these skaters.

    I'm just against making sweeping generalizations based on what we witness from these annoying, belligerent fans. Now, because some of these newly registered Yu-Na fans from Korea are trashing Mao, all of Yu-Na's fans get a bad reputation. It's unfair in all ways. It's unfair to Mao that these Yu-Na fans are trashing her and it's unfair to the rest of Yu-Na's fans who are civil and don't resort to this behavior, get a bad rep. It's unfair that the civil fans are associated with this "Korean invasion" that has decreased the quality of this forum.

    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    It's just funny how a population that knew almost nothing about the sport before a certain skater suddenly have all these "experts" now discussing and analyzing to death the faults of the rival of their national sweet heart. Korean fans certainly are passionate.
    I wouldn't call them experts. In fact, I wouldn't call anyone who hasn't completed the jumps themselves, an expert. But the fans have certainly studied the material. That's what being inspired and being interested in a skater does. It makes fans learn what the sport is about, what the various jumps are, what spins and spirals are supposed to look like, what edge calls are and what underrotating means and so on.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •