Predictions | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Predictions

casken

On the Ice
With six teams, the OD groups are broken up into two groups of three based on their point totals from the grand prix.

B&A and D&W are the first two teams up, while F&S are in the second group with the big guns Del/Schoe and Dom/Shab. So that may have factored into her predictions.

I think being stuck in the earlier FD group prevented Virtue and Moir from scoring higher in the FD at the GPF last year, and if B&A have a less than stellar OD and F&S skate later and have a strong OD, B&A could be in that situation as well.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
My try :

MEN:
1. Jeremy Abbott (because that's what I want. He has done one bad skate so far; the short in Russia with silly mistakes. His LP is outstanding. He should get high component marks) :clap:
2. Johnny Weir (he can do it . In Japan he was ill, but made it to the podium)
3. Brian Joubert (his LP is not good enough)
4. Patrick Chan (not on the podium yet, but soon)
5. Takahiko Kozuka (lovely skater, but....? )
6. Tomas Verner (he is great to watch but will not do two good skates in this final)

LADIES:
1. Yu-Na Kim (no doubt, she is so consistent)
2. Joannie Rochette (strong skater with new confidense. I like her a lot))
3. Mao Asada (up and down, but definitely on the podium)
4. Miki Ando
5. Yukari Nakano (a bit after the others still, unfortunately)
6. Carolina Kostner (she will be nervous)

PAIRS:
1. Savchenko/Szolkowy (no pair can beat them right now)
2. Kawaguchi/Smirnov (they do many difficulties)
3. Volosozhar/Morozov (my wish. I love their new style, their performance and their costumes in LP) :love:
4. Zhang/Zhang (always capable but a bitt dull LP)
5. Pang/Tong (better than last season, a dark horse)
6. Mukhortova/Trankov (they still look a bit unsure of their capability)

Ice dance is not my favorite discipline. Love to see some of the couples.

ICE DANCE:
1. Khokhlova/Novitski (they express a lot to me on the ice and their skating is very good.)
2 Delobel/Schoenfelder (I don't like them much, but of course they are good skaters. The judges like them)
3. Davis/White (a young couple with a lot of joy. I hope they make the podium in spite of beeing young and new.)
4. Belbin/Agosto (I don't believe in them, maybe I am completely wrong)
5. Domnina/Shabalin (good, but not high standard right now)
6. Faiella/Scali

Haha, everything can happen. Like said before; why not do the hatpick. EXCITING!!!!

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice
Who is Mr. Colson?

Mr. Colson is Patrick's late longtime coach. He had been coaching Patrick for 10 years before he passed away in 2006.
He is son of one of the founders of Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club, the base of Patrick, Yu-Na and Orser. He also coached Barbara Ann Scott, Donald Jackson, Don Laws, and Sarah Kawahara in the good old days.

There was a news article last year about his relationship with Patrick:
The lessons preached by Colson, an icon who worked with greats Barbara Ann Scott and Donald Jackson, extended beyond the rink. He hectored young Chan about his manners, telling him to cut his food into small pieces, and taught him how to present himself to people.

"Because he believed one day I would meet the Queen or the president or prime minister, he prepared me very well for what was to come," said Chan. "Because he believed that I would reach the top one day."

Chan vowed to Colson on his deathbed that he would skate his best for him and wears a gold medallion belonging to the man he regarded as a grandfather. It bears his former coach's initials, H.O.C. – Harry Osborne Colson.

"He would wear it all the time," said Chan. "I just said, `It was part of him; it will become part of me.'"

P.S. I just watched Kozuka's practice video and interview, my prediction on his podium finish might be questionable now:scratch:

Last edited:

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
There was a news article last year about his relationship with Patrick:

Thanks for sharing! I somehow missed that article. It was a very touching read. I'm sure part of the reason why Patrick is so mature for his age is because of Mr. Colson's influence.

P.S. I just watched Kozuka's practice video and interview, my prediction on his podium finish might be questionable now:scratch:

Don't worry, ALL of our predictions for the men's event are questionable (except for maybe PJ Kwong, lol!). ;)

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice
Thanks for sharing! I somehow missed that article. It was a very touching read. I'm sure part of the reason why Patrick is so mature for his age is because of Mr. Colson's influence.

Don't worry, ALL of our predictions for the men's event are questionable (except for maybe PJ Kwong, lol!). ;)

You're welcome. It was indeed a touching read, and that's why it's in my collections.

Maybe Mr. Colson considers this is not the right time.
I've seen Patrick fell twice in a program for a long time.:cry: Trying too hard and lost the patience? Or because I offenced Mr. Lee when I compared Patrick's practice photo with his...:p
There's still LP to go, pull yourself together, Patrick~I know you can do it:)

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Maybe Mr. Colson considers this is not the right time.

I'm a firm believer that things happen for a reason, and perhaps Mr. Colson felt it would be detrimental to Patrick in the long run if he were a GPF medallist this season. I have to say that Canada probably expects a little too much from our Boy Wonder at this point. He has the talent and drive to be the best of the best, but I suspect it would crush his young and somewhat inexperienced shoulders to carry our Worlds and Olympics medal hopes in men's figure skating all by himself.

I've been praying to the Skate Gods day and night for Fedor to bring his A-game to the Nationals despite his extremely short training time, and for Shawn to FINALLY master that 3-Axel and to be more consistent with his 3-lutz. We do need a strong team in L.A. so that we can earn 3 Olympics berths for the men, and I think it will be beneficial for both Canada and Patrick that at least one other guy to step it up a notch.

Hmm, possibly. Both Patrick and Mr. Lee are very handsome Asian men :cool:, but I have to say that that they look nothing alike! :p