Skills or ice dance in Free Skating? | Golden Skate

Skills or ice dance in Free Skating?

passion

On the Ice
Which is more applicable and beneficial to free skating? Obviously, they would both be beneficial, but between the two which is more applicable and helpful?

Bennett

Record Breaker
Which is more applicable and beneficial to free skating? Obviously, they would both be beneficial, but between the two which is more applicable and helpful?

Sorry it is not that I know the answer. But I do not seem to understand your question. By "skills" here, were you referring to practicing jumps, spins, steps, and stroking etc and "ice dance" as a complementary exercise to enhance your free skate?

Kypma

Final Flight
Sorry it is not that I know the answer. But I do not seem to understand your question. By "skills" here, were you referring to practicing jumps, spins, steps, and stroking etc and "ice dance" as a complementary exercise to enhance your free skate?

In the Canadian Testing Stream, assumign that is the oen referred to by Passion, there is freestyle, skills, and ice dance. Skills resembles the United States Moves in the Field. I'd say Dance is more fun to practice, with several patterns and therefore varying music and tempo. Skills is more repetitive, but the skills you work on would be worked on for a longer time. Dance is probably mroe helpful as you progress for footwork sequences, but at lower levels skills can be useful -- they emcompass the basic and mroe complex turns and steps you're most likely to need as a freestyle skater.

Hope that helps,

-Kypma

justpat

Spectator
My daughter was struggling to pass her Int FS test when she started taking dance lessons.
I think dance teaches many of the same skills that comprise the moves tests, but it also teaches timing, which is important is freeskate. The skater has to hit the right element in time to the music in both dance and freeskate. Performing the proper edges and turns at the proper time creates better flow over the ice.
My daughter's skating improved, so she was more confident, then her jumps improved. Many of the rink moms noticed the change at the time. Dance was not encouraged in our club, but I think it made such a big difference in my daughter's skating experience. She was frustrated and dance renewed her spirit and her love of skating. I'm so glad she finally tried it. We should have done it earlier.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Dance is best to teach timing, line/stretch, edging and the flow of the blade over the ice. Skills gives you skating vocabulary and teaches turns. If it has to be one or the other, dance is probably better, but really both should be practiced along with the freeskate.