Canadian Cov. - From Debbi Wilkes | Golden Skate

Canadian Cov. - From Debbi Wilkes

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker

Well folks, this is straight from Debbi Wilkes herself. Read it and weep:

Hi Laura ...

Yup, CTV/TSN will only be covering Skate Canada and Canadians, plus Junior Nats and Canadian Synchro.

Why? They chose not to renew their international contract with the ISU ...
too expensive with too many hiccups and with too few guarantees.

Now before you panic, I'm sure it will work out in the long run. Even if
another Canadian broadcaster doesn't come to the table, ABC will still have
coverage ... although it seems that the European and Japanese broadcasters are standing firm just like us.

The scary part is that I understand without a European broadcaster, there is as yet no host network for Worlds ... so that could get a bit messy. Still... it's unlikely Ottavio and the other ISU boys and girls will let their skating events slip off TV even for one season. Remember they've got a huge responsibility to their sponsors who've paid millions to be seen on the
tube.

Keep your fingers crossed!

- I cannot believe it! I guess, I will have to go to Calgary to see the Worlds in person - which is highly unlikely to happen.

Oh sigh.....it really is the "end of an era."

Last edited:

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Its a sad day in the skating world when the USA will actually have better skating coverage that Canada during a skating season! That is SO not saying much at ALL.....LOL :eek: :sheesh: :confused: :laugh:

I hope it all works out though in the end. :eek:

Ladskater

Record Breaker

KwanFan1212:

Right on! I guess my "gloating" days are over!

Lanie

On the Ice
Wow. I feel bad for you guys. :( If I had a way to copy tapes, I'd definitely be happy to send them!

ladybug

On the Ice
I have always been so jealous of the Canadian coverage and now this. Wow!

I wonder if this is a sign of things to come. Could figure skating coverage be going back to what it once was - shared Sunday afternoon coverage with boxing. :cry:

jfdw

Rinkside
Hi Ladskater
I too wrote to Debbi Wilkes and got a very nice reply. I also wrote to ctv and voiced my disappointment in their reduction of figure skating coverage. I think although monetary conerns are important when they develp their schedule each season so is the requests of things their viewers want to see. I did get an answer and they said my letter was fowarded to the programming director. So perhaps if enough people wrote and asked for coverage it would make a difference not for this year but for future years. So use the net and the computer to ask for figure skating coverage to continue it may not work but we will never know till we try. The us fans near the border who get ctv can write too. Just a thought you know the squeaky wheel gets the oil so they say so write and squeak.
jfdw:)

rain

Record Breaker
coverage

So, who should we write to to voice our displeasure with this travesty? Wilkes' reply seems to indicate that perhaps it is the ISU that should be the target of our mail, not the networks themselves - as if the ISU is making it too expensive etc to make it worthwhile for most of the world to cover. Japan, Canada and Europe all basically skipping the skating season?

If anyone knows any more I would appreciate hearing it, as I think I will write a letter to the appropriate party.

astimegoesby

On the Ice
Re: Canadian Cov. - From Debbi Wilkes

Ladskater said:
Well folks, this is straight from Debbi Wilkes herself. Read it and weep:

Hi Laura ...

Yup, CTV/TSN will only be covering Skate Canada and Canadians, plus Junior Nats and Canadian Synchro.

Why? They chose not to renew their international contract with the ISU ...too expensive with too many hiccups and with too few guarantees.

Now before you panic, I'm sure it will work out in the long run. Even if another Canadian broadcaster doesn't come to the table, ABC will still have coverage ... although it seems that the European and Japanese broadcasters are standing firm just like us.

The scary part is that I understand without a European broadcaster, there is as yet no host network for Worlds ... so that could get a bit messy. Still... it's unlikely Ottavio and the other ISU boys and girls will let their skating events slip off TV even for one season. Remember they've got a huge responsibility to their sponsors who've paid millions to be seen on the
tube.

No host broadcast for Worlds yet? Now that definitely doesn't sound good! I'm crossing my fingers the ISU will come to their senses and realize raising the $$$ of TV broadcast rights to the point where most TV networks can't or won't pay them (and most fans therefore can't watch them) is not the best way to increase figure skating's popularity. But when was the last time the ISU made a decision that actually made sense? :rolleye:

I guess it's no coincidence the three events CTV/TSN will broadcast are organized by Skate Canada, not the ISU...and this explains why there's no Canadian broadcast rights for 2004 Four Continents (an ISU-sponsored event) yet--even though the next 4CCs are taking place in Canada! It makes much more sense to me now.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to contact Debbi--and thanks to Debbi for taking the time to answer so quickly (even though it wasn't the answer most of us wanted to hear).

S

SkateFan4Life

We don't receive Canadian television where I live (New Jersey), so we have to rely on American television coverage, for better or for worse. For those of us who have cable television, there's plenty of programs - competition, shows, specials - and there are some good programs on network television as well.

I hope you folks in Canada have more television coverage!! What a shame if you have to rely on the Internet, newspapers, and the like for all of your coverage.

Ladskater

Record Breaker

jfdw:

Thanks for the suggestion! "The pen is mightier than the sword" so indeed writing cannot hurt.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I am just speechless at the moment. After years of fantastic coverage it's just unfathomable. Of course, hockey will be ever present on every channel we have here. I am not a hockey fan - I am a figure skating fan. My "hunger" needs to be fed! "Off with their heads" at CTV.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
This is crazy. I hope things get worked out in the end. What a shame if Canadian coverage goes from really good to like, none at all. :sheesh: Does Debbie Wilkes have any say in this?!?! LOL ;)

KittyKins

Rinkside
Hello everyone. I'm in the process of starting an online petition to CBC. I e-mailed them and they answered saying that at this point they will not be covering international figure skating, but that a final decision has not been made. So, I am trying to get a petition to send to CBC. I know we can get 1,000's of signatures on this.

I am asking other fans to check the wording and give me any suggestions. I want to make sure that this is completely accurate. 4CC is separate from the 6 Grand Prix events, right? I hope to get this in the works this weekend. Please any suggestions about grammar & spelling & wording would be greatly appreciated. Okay here goes:

As figure skating fans we are signing this petition to ask that CBC pick up the International Figure Skating package. We feel very strongly that figure skating is an important part of our Canadian culture. We also feel that it is important that these events be covered from a Canadian perspective. We are requesting that the CBC show television coverage of the Four Continents Championships, the six Grand Prix events, and most importantly the World Figure Skating Championships in Germany.