Ekaterina Sokolova | Golden Skate

Ekaterina Sokolova

antmanb

Record Breaker
The GPs are slowly blending into one now but i recall watching a pair competition - possibly cup of Russia. There was a pairs skater skating for i think Israel called Ekaterina Sokolova. She bore a striking resemblance to singles skater Elena Sokolova. the commentator, i think mentioned that the pairs skaters, while skating for Israel were from Russia.

So can anyone tell me if Ekaterina and Elena are related because they look very similar.

Thanks
Ant

Patty1983

Spectator
I have to admit that I had the same idea when I first saw her, until the commentators said that Ekaterina married her partner (forgot his first name) a couple of months ago. Her maiden name probably was not Sokolova. So Elena and Ekaterina are probably not related to each other.

sillylionlove

Medalist
Here is some information form wikipedia.com

Her original name was Ekaterina Sosinova.

She competes internationally for Israel with pairs partner and husband Fedor Sokolov.

Sokolov and Sokolova began skating together in 2003. They originally represented Russia. They represented Azerbaijan internationally in the 2006-2007 season. They were withdrawn from the 2007 European Figure Skating Championships due to a problem with paperwork regarding their country change.

They began competing for Israel in the 2007-2008 skating season. They are the 2008 Israeli national champions. They placed 12th at the 2008 European Figure Skating Championships.

Sokolova and Sokolov were married in March, 2008 in Moscow. She began using her married name professionally in the 2008-2009 season

eleonora.d

On the Ice
That's right, she only is Sokolova by marriage. Anyway it seems to me that Sokolov is quite a common last name in Russia, isn'it?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Yes, it is an extremely common last name; in fact, it is the 5th most common Russian surname. The root, "сокол", means "falcon".

antmanb

Record Breaker
Thanks for all the information everyone has provided. Do others think that she bears a resemblance to her singles skater namesake?

Ant

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Do others think that she bears a resemblance to her singles skater namesake?
I do. But she's not as good a skater.

I did notice Ekaterina and her husband have been skating together since she was 13, and they married before her 18th birthday... that seems kind of young to me, but hey, if they're happy, I guess that's the important thing.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Wow. Just checked out her Web site, and she really does look like Elena Sokolova!

In regard to her marriage, from everything I've read, Russians tend to marry much younger than Americans. It's a cultural thing. Other well-known examples include Marina Klimova (married Sergei Ponomarenko at 18), Ekaterina Gordeeva (married Sergei Grinkov at 19), and Irina Slutskaya (married her husband at 22).

One thing I'm confused about is Russian women's names. Do Russian women usually take their husband's last name, as in America, or keep their own? In the skating world, it seems they usually keep their own name. But what is the custom among average Russians?

oleada

Record Breaker
Dmitri Soloviev from Bobrova/Soloviev is another young one that's married and has been for a couple of years now, I think.

Snowgirl

On the Ice
In general, women in Russia take husband's name, but some don't.In biathlon and cross-country some ladies, if they change the name during their competitive career, compete under double name the first year, then under husband's name. For example, the athlete's maiden name was Arbuzova, after she got married, she was Medvedeva-Arbuzova for the first year, and now she is Medvedeva.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
Dmitri Soloviev from Bobrova/Soloviev is another young one that's married and has been for a couple of years now, I think.

Soloviev married former Russian singles skater Ekaterina Lobanova in 2006. His date of birth is July 18, 1989.

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker
I thought the russian last name changes according to their sexes.
For example, Marat Safin. He is a famous russian tennis player and he has a sister that also plays tennis and her name is Diana Safina.

So if you are Sokolova then your brother would be Sokolov?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
In regard to her marriage, from everything I've read, Russians tend to marry much younger than Americans. It's a cultural thing. Other well-known examples include Marina Klimova (married Sergei Ponomarenko at 18), Ekaterina Gordeeva (married Sergei Grinkov at 19), and Irina Slutskaya (married her husband at 22).
What was kind of strange for me wasn't the age so much as the fact that he's almost six years older and they've been skating as a pair since she was 13. But as I wrote, so long as they're happy together, that's what matters. I imagine they weren't in a relationhip when they first started skating together.

I thought the russian last name changes according to their sexes.

So if you are Sokolova then your brother would be Sokolov?
Yes. Or your husband, like in this case.

Last edited: