Whose step sequences do you like the best? (men) | Golden Skate

Whose step sequences do you like the best? (men)

Whose step sequences do you like the best? (men)

• Total voters

Bennett

Record Breaker
My votes go to Kozuka's SP, Chan's LP, Jeremy's SP, Johnny's both programs, Shawn's LP, Tomas's both programs, and Evan's LP.

Last edited:

Eevun

Final Flight
Brian's and Jeremy's. Even if Brian does a lot of 2-feet steps, no-one's step seq get my attention as much as Brian's.
Watched Yagudin's gold skate from Oly -02. The step sequences reminds a lot of eachother, and that may be the reason I love Brian's so much. (Yagudin was my first skating love and made me discover the sport)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Jourbert has never kept it a secret that he not only admires Yags, but that he has no problem mimicking the Champion...

it was VERY apparent after 2002 that Jourbert was outright copying Yags in look and skating, unfortunately Brian just doesn't get artistry quite like Alexei.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Jourbert has never kept it a secret that he not only admires Yags, but that he has no problem mimicking the Champion...

it was VERY apparent after 2002 that Jourbert was outright copying Yags in look and skating, unfortunately Brian just doesn't get artistry quite like Alexei.
I think Joubert has had quite a few sequences that were more of the "inspired by" variety rather than imitations. The similarity was more pronounced earlier in his career, though I'll allow there are bits in his Rise SP this year that are very Yagudin-like.

That having been said, I think doing Yagudin-style steps is much more original these days than all the cookie-cutter "lean over your skates and flail your arms" stuff we're seeing, usually accompanied by jerky movements and considerably more two-footed skating than Joubert does (the upper body movement distracts the eye from this).

Tomas, Chan and Joubert have all had some nice steps this year, and they're all doing their own thing, which is good.

Bennett

Record Breaker
As a Johnny fan, I am pleasantly surprised that Johnny is among the most popular in every poll for a technical element so far. Sample sizes are still too small to draw any conclusion yet though. Let's see what happens in a few weeks.

Last edited:

vlaurend

Final Flight
Daisuke Takahashi!! Also Braden Overett, even though he seems to have hung up his skates.

mjames

Rinkside
Johnny is my favorite, Jeremy has done the best programs this year, but I voted for Jobert. There might not be any content in his short program footwork this year...but it works for me!

Final Flight
abbott's footwork works....all the time.
never like those ultra speedy steps of plushenko or takahashi
he has emotion and care.

johnny.....his overall attitude marred my opinion on him

cvg16

Rinkside
i love daisuke takahashi too. violin concerto and phantom step sequence :love:

i also liked johnny's sequence from otonal.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Takahashi!!!:love:

I'm surprised he's not on the list. Wasn't he the first person to get a level four on footwork?
I'm pretty sure he wasn't the first, and he definitely wasn't the last. Plushenko got level 4 at Torino (SP and LP, for the circular steps), Jeffrey Buttle definitely got level 4 at some point (2008 4CC?), and Carolina Kostner among the ladies. Not sure who else. I also don't know if that should be the criteria for judging excellence in step sequences; levels are really more about excellence in adhering to a checklist (just like so-so spinners would sometimes beat Stephane Lambiel on spin levels).

I'm surprised Takahashi wasn't listed, though I would not have voted for him myself.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Takahashi, particularly his sequence in his techno-Swan Lake SP last year. And I believe he was the first guy to get level 4 - at least that's what the commentator said. That would not, of course, included nationals.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Takahashi, particularly his sequence in his techno-Swan Lake SP last year. And I believe he was the first guy to get level 4 - at least that's what the commentator said. That would not, of course, included nationals.
I am probably the only figure skating fan on the planet who did not like that program. But let's not go there - this is a positive thread :).

It is certainly possible that Takahashi got a level 4 prior to 2006 Olympics - though I'm not going to check through the protocols of all his events :biggrin:. Since I wasn't a fan of Plushenko's 2006 programs, I certainly wouldn't mind if someone else beat him to that first level 4, be it Dai or anyone else.

Last edited:

lcd

Match Penalty
Jeremy - his footwork is all involving and goes with the music
Joubert/Yagudin - good for one type of thing/style, but so limited to that whole staccato River Dance type thing (not my favorite) though there's no questioning how it gets audiences 'excited'