Whose spins do you like the best? (ladies) | Golden Skate

Whose spins do you like the best? (ladies)

Whose spins do you like the best?

• Total voters

Bennett

Record Breaker
my votes go to mirai, caroline, ashley, and sarah.

ETA
Opps, I should have included Alyssa on the list. She is among the best in the field.

Last edited:

Wrlmy

Medalist
I voted for Alissa. Her positions are incredibly steady and not contrived. Her centering and speed are first rate. Especially the way she accelerates on her sit spins is amazing. I also like her biellman the best. She may not have butt-to-head flexibility, but I find her position the most aesthetically pleasing and comfortable.

champs

Final Flight
The poll doesn't say whether to choose among the current crop of skaters or among all female skaters from all eras, so I would vote for Alyssa (current)or for Lucinda Ruh (retired). Either way 'Others' is my choice.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I voted for Alissa. Her positions are incredibly steady and not contrived. Her centering and speed are first rate. Especially the way she accelerates on her sit spins is amazing. I also like her biellman the best. She may not have butt-to-head flexibility, but I find her position the most aesthetically pleasing and comfortable.

ITA. Her spins are fab! I love her layback the best. She has a very lovely position.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Lucinda Ruh!

If you haven't seen her spin, you must go find some vids. Trust me. The woman's centering was not human! Fast, too. But the centering -- fast forward and you would swear you were looking at a repeated frame.

luvsasha

Final Flight
Alissa!!! her spins are absolutely beautiful :love:
close 2nd goes to Caroline and Mirai

Okami

On the Ice
Out of the current ladies I like Yukari's spins the most. Alissa and Caroline are also great. Mao has amazing spins in practices, unfortunately she gets much slower in competitions (not enough stamina to do all that difficult stuff, I guess).

Wrlmy

Medalist
I need to mention Shizuka Arakawa and Michelle Kwan, two skaters who made even slow spins beautiful and graceful to watch.

vlaurend

Final Flight
Out of the current ladies I like Yukari's spins the most. Alissa and Caroline are also great. Mao has amazing spins in practices, unfortunately she gets much slower in competitions (not enough stamina to do all that difficult stuff, I guess).

Yukari's, Alissa's and Caroline's are my 3 favorites, too!! :clap: I love Alissa's speed, positions and control, I love Yukari's camel spins, and of course I love Caroline's level 4 layback.

P.S. I remember watching Lucinda Ruh giving Caroline Zhang a spin lesson about 3 years ago. Pretty cool. ;)

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
I voted for...

Caroline - based on her beautiful position and speed in some of her spins... her layback is absolutely beautiful.

Mao - has some beautiful positions as well, but sometimes her spins can seem a bit slower than say, Caroline, or more traveled than Yukari's.

Yukari - beautifully centered and great speed except during some of her transitions.

Last vote was for other... Alissa - great center and beautiful speed, but a bit lacking in position variation.

gio

Medalist
No doubt to say Lucinda Ruh. If you haven't seen her yet, I really suggest you to find a video of her. She has amazing spins. :clap:

Eurofan

On the Ice
I had to vote "Other" on this one. As other members have pointed out, Alissa Czisny and Lucinda Ruh aren't on the list. Nor was Nathalie Krieg, the Swiss Ladies' Champion in '93 and '94, who had a spin position much like Caroline's pearl spin. She also made the Guiness Book of World Records for longest spin: 3 minutes, 22 seconds.

World's '92
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHOInaLqlqk

Skate Canada '92
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCFJR2mBdKA&feature=related

Europeans '93 (The announcer introduces her as "the greatest spinner in the world" and spends most of the rest of the program lamenting her jump difficulties.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtKaKS0A_lg&feature=related

Olympic Games '94
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnoRJ8gZpZU

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
all time - Lucinda Ruh ("good for you, Lucinda Ruh!" :clap::clap::clap:)

current - Alissa :love:

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
It's an hard choice. But where is Laura Lepisto? :)
I have to say Yu-Na's. Everything this girl does in her routines is related to the music, and so even the spins. They can be funny (Fledermaus), airy (Lark ascending), exciting (Tango), romantic (Miss Saigon), fairy-tale (Scheherazade), diabolic (Danse Macabre). I remember I cried watching her splendid spin in the slow part of Miss Saigon. So even a spin can move milions of feelings...
I watched Hyeon-Jung Kim before and her spins are impressive, original, wonderful to see.