Ugh. Split second decisions can cost you. | Golden Skate

Ugh. Split second decisions can cost you.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
I made a split second decision and decided to ignore my ankle injury and just take the test... and... it wound up costing me. I thought I was going to faint when I picked in for the first jump with the foot. Oh well, the past is the past. My whole lower leg is in a cast, and I need to walk with crutches :-/ Thankfully, it's just going to be bad for a little while and the recovery time isn't much more than it was before. About four more weeks until walking, etc. is fine and skating again in 6 - 8 weeks. On the upside, testing is done. On the upside, testing is done. I'm just hoping that such a long time off the ice won't affect my muscle memory for the new jump combinations I learned and forgetting my step sequence. Blah. My coach even thinks I'm a bit (maybe more than a bit) of moron now. :laugh:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Ouch. I'm really sorry that you chose to skate the test in the end. I suppose that all of these things are lessons that we learn in life.

Did you actually skate through the pain and finish the test?

Hope you recover quickly and are back on the ice without pain in no time.

Ant

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
Ouch. I'm really sorry that you chose to skate the test in the end. I suppose that all of these things are lessons that we learn in life.

Did you actually skate through the pain and finish the test?

Hope you recover quickly and are back on the ice without pain in no time.

Ant

I finished the test without a hitch. I think the adrenaline and nervousness got me through it. At first I was thinking about doing easier jumps, footwork, and spins... so I wouldn't use the foot as much as possible, but I wound up sticking to the most difficult course of action I could have taken so my focus was more on completing each skill and less on the pain. I was trying to keep my mind off the pain so much with the intense focus of everything, that I did much better than I anticipated I would do without the injury (except I think it was pretty apparent on the footwork sequence when I was forced to use the foot and the obvious grimace when I had to put all the weight on it for extended period of times during the spiral and spins). Since the injury is on my left foot and ankle, at least I didn't have to land on it.... that was one relief.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I finished the test without a hitch. I think the adrenaline and nervousness got me through it. At first I was thinking about doing easier jumps, footwork, and spins... so I wouldn't use the foot as much as possible, but I wound up sticking to the most difficult course of action I could have taken so my focus was more on completing each skill and less on the pain. I was trying to keep my mind off the pain so much with the intense focus of everything, that I did much better than I anticipated I would do without the injury (except I think it was pretty apparent on the footwork sequence when I was forced to use the foot and the obvious grimace when I had to put all the weight on it for extended period of times during the spiral and spins). Since the injury is on my left foot and ankle, at least I didn't have to land on it.... that was one relief.

So only one question remains - did you pass?

Ant

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
Yes :) Thankfully. If I had failed, I would definitely be up a creek without a paddle, considering I would still have the recovery time for my ankle and re-taking the test to factor in it. It would have put a lot of pressure on preparing programs for next season. Atleast now there are no big events on the calendar until Regionals, which will be tough where I live. I'm keeping my fingers crossed already.

Kypma

Final Flight
Yes :) Thankfully. If I had failed, I would definitely be up a creek without a paddle, considering I would still have the recovery time for my ankle and re-taking the test to factor in it. It would have put a lot of pressure on preparing programs for next season. Atleast now there are no big events on the calendar until Regionals, which will be tough where I live. I'm keeping my fingers crossed already.

Phew, at least there's some positive in the situation. Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery so that nothing else hinders your progress in the next little while!

-Kypma