Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: skating in detroit

Rinkside

skating in detroit

Hi,
    Does anyone know who is training where in Detroit area? Particularly Bloomfield and Rochester? I know Faella and Scali and Wester and Barantsev are at Bloomfield. And do you think anyone might be there on Dec 26th, or still gone for the holidays. We're going to see the in-laws in that area for Christmas and I would LOVE to go see some skaters. We lost most of our Simsbury skaters and I need a fix
    Thanks

Custom Title
    Not sure of how far away you consider the Detroit area, but Davis/White and Domnina/Shabalin train in Canton, which is in Plymouth. Depending on which side of Detroit you will be, that's not too far.

Not sure if either of them will be there over the holidays tho'.

Domnina/Shabalin in Detroit? Don't they train in Aston with L&K?
    Maybe you meant to say Virtue & Moir.

Custom Title
    Doesn't Alissa Czisny train in Detroit?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by KayMil01 View Post
    Doesn't Alissa Czisny train in Detroit?
    Yes, Alissa trains in detroit, but she use to train at a rink in Ohio also if I'm not mistaken.
    Last edited by flying camel; 12-06-2008 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flying camel View Post
    Yes, Alissa trains in detroit, but she use to train at at a rink in Ohio also if I'm not mistaken.
    Bowling Green, OH to be exact... she skated on the same ice as Scott Hamilton once skated. (not the very same ice - that'd be some old ice! LOL - but the same rink)

I know she lives there and goes to school there, but since 2005 and her sudden rise I think she's been a member of the Detroit Figure Skating Club in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan (which is about 30 to 40 minutes from Detroit)

Virtue/Moir and Davis/White are in Ann Arbor, both with Sphil, which is aboout 90 minutes from Detroit? Im trying to compound times here, since im in the overall area...haha.

Castile/Okolski are also in Bloomfield Hills last time I checked, too.

I wasn't saying she didn't skate in the area... just backing up what someone else said.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rosee View Post
    Domnina/Shabalin in Detroit? Don't they train in Aston with L&K?
    Maybe you meant to say Virtue & Moir.
    You're exactly right. I did mean V/M!! Thanks for the correction.

Quote Originally Posted by pista04 View Post
    Virtue/Moir and Davis/White are in Ann Arbor, both with Sphil, which is aboout 90 minutes from Detroit?
    Shpilband/Zoueva's group is at the Arctic Edge in Canton, Michigan, about 20 minutes East of Ann Arbor and 25 minutes West of Detroit.

If you are going to be there on December 13, you can take in the Fourth Annual Canton Fire Fighters vs Canton Coaches Charity Hockey Game. (No word as to whether Virtue and Moir, Davis and White, Copley and Stagniunas, etc. will appear.

The Ann Arbor Figure Skating Club boasts Samuelson and Bates and Hubbel and Hubbel, two of a bunch of strong young dance teams coached by Netchaeva and Tchesnitchenko.

http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2007/090307.shtml

(Remember, though, that these are private clubs. Visitors can't normally just drop in and say, do you have any famous skaters practicing today that I can meet?)

At my computer watching Meryl and Charlie skate!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post

If you are going to be there on December 13, you can take in the Fourth Annual Canton Fire Fighters vs Canton Coaches Charity Hockey Game. (No word as to whether Virtue and Moir, Davis and White, Copley and Stagniunas, etc. will appear.
    Sounds like fun but I don't think D/W will be there...they'll be in Korea at the GPF final. Canton Coaches? Is that hockey coaches or figure skating coaches or both?

Custom Title
    I used to study at U of M in Ann Arbor, I wish I still were so that I could have chances to watch some of these top skaters.

Charlie White and Meryl Davis are both University of Michigan students. GO BLUE!

Custom Title
    Yeah, I did not know this until I watched a fluff piece about D/W by ESPN, I think it was from their coverage of 4CC, and they showed the Law quad across from the grad library. I left umich in the spring of 2005 so I couldn't have seen them anyway, and sadly, I was not a fan of this sport at that time.

Addicted to handsome, artistic male skaters ;-)
    I don't know for sure if he's still there because I've just learned that his new coach is Brian Orser, but Fedor Andreev did train in Detroit when Richard Callaghan used to be stationed there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast