skating in detroit | Golden Skate

skating in detroit

stejoho40

Rinkside
Hi,
Does anyone know who is training where in Detroit area? Particularly Bloomfield and Rochester? I know Faella and Scali and Wester and Barantsev are at Bloomfield. And do you think anyone might be there on Dec 26th, or still gone for the holidays. We're going to see the in-laws in that area for Christmas and I would LOVE to go see some skaters. We lost most of our Simsbury skaters and I need a fix :)
Thanks

merrybari

Final Flight
Not sure of how far away you consider the Detroit area, but Davis/White and Domnina/Shabalin train in Canton, which is in Plymouth. Depending on which side of Detroit you will be, that's not too far.

Not sure if either of them will be there over the holidays tho'.

rosee

On the Ice
Domnina/Shabalin in Detroit? :unsure: Don't they train in Aston with L&K?
Maybe you meant to say Virtue & Moir.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Yes, Alissa trains in detroit, but she use to train at at a rink in Ohio also if I'm not mistaken.

Bowling Green, OH to be exact... she skated on the same ice as Scott Hamilton once skated. (not the very same ice - that'd be some old ice! LOL - but the same rink)

pista04

On the Ice
I know she lives there and goes to school there, but since 2005 and her sudden rise I think she's been a member of the Detroit Figure Skating Club in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan (which is about 30 to 40 minutes from Detroit)

Virtue/Moir and Davis/White are in Ann Arbor, both with Sphil, which is aboout 90 minutes from Detroit? Im trying to compound times here, since im in the overall area...haha.

Castile/Okolski are also in Bloomfield Hills last time I checked, too.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I wasn't saying she didn't skate in the area... just backing up what someone else said.

Virtue/Moir and Davis/White are in Ann Arbor, both with Sphil, which is aboout 90 minutes from Detroit?
Shpilband/Zoueva's group is at the Arctic Edge in Canton, Michigan, about 20 minutes East of Ann Arbor and 25 minutes West of Detroit.

If you are going to be there on December 13, you can take in the Fourth Annual Canton Fire Fighters vs Canton Coaches Charity Hockey Game. :rock: (No word as to whether Virtue and Moir, Davis and White, Copley and Stagniunas, etc. will appear. :)

The Ann Arbor Figure Skating Club boasts Samuelson and Bates and Hubbel and Hubbel, two of a bunch of strong young dance teams coached by Netchaeva and Tchesnitchenko.

http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2007/090307.shtml

(Remember, though, that these are private clubs. Visitors can't normally just drop in and say, do you have any famous skaters practicing today that I can meet?)

~tapdancer

On the Ice
If you are going to be there on December 13, you can take in the Fourth Annual Canton Fire Fighters vs Canton Coaches Charity Hockey Game. :rock: (No word as to whether Virtue and Moir, Davis and White, Copley and Stagniunas, etc. will appear. :)
Sounds like fun but I don't think D/W will be there;)...they'll be in Korea at the GPF final. Canton Coaches? Is that hockey coaches or figure skating coaches or both?

champs

Final Flight
I used to study at U of M in Ann Arbor, I wish I still were so that I could have chances to watch some of these top skaters.

Charlie White and Meryl Davis are both University of Michigan students. GO BLUE! :yes:

champs

Final Flight
Yeah, I did not know this until I watched a fluff piece about D/W by ESPN, I think it was from their coverage of 4CC, and they showed the Law quad across from the grad library. I left umich in the spring of 2005 so I couldn't have seen them anyway, and sadly, I was not a fan of this sport at that time.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don't know for sure if he's still there because I've just learned that his new coach is Brian Orser, but Fedor Andreev did train in Detroit when Richard Callaghan used to be stationed there.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
his mom works with Igor - so yeah he was there for quite a while (and dated Tanith Belbin too lol)

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
his mom works with Igor - so yeah he was there for quite a while (and dated Tanith Belbin too lol)

I strongly suspect Fedor has an Oedipus complex because he's currently dating Tessa Virtue, who is also one of Marina Z.'s students. Fedor and Tessa have been together for over a year. It's obvious that he adores his mother, and I guess he's subconsciously attracted to women who remind him of her (i.e. pretty ice dancers :p).

npa

Match Penalty
I strongly suspect Fedor has an Oedipus complex because he's currently dating Tessa Virtue, who is also one of Marina Z.'s students. Fedor and Tessa have been together for over a year. It's obvious that he adores his mother, and I guess he's subconsciously attracted to women who remind him of her (i.e. pretty ice dancers :p).

I read somewhere, that Tessa and Fedor not together anymore.