Skate Canada Senior Challenge - Men Short Program
Here's my notes on the Senior Men short program. Skaters are listed in skate order. The marks and placements are what I noted from the rink announcements and are not official.
The notes weren't originally meant to be posted in their 'raw' state, so there's lots of abbreviations & such. . . Hopefully you can all understand them. Also there could be (and will be) mistakes. The notes are what I wrote as the skaters were skating and haven't been reviewed for correctness or modified as I haven't seen the protocols yet myself. But since everyone is wondering what happened I thought I'd share the notes with you.
StN. Name Section Place Points
1 Ken Rose CO 1 63.13
white shirt & black pants / slow rock ballad familiar /
3f3t nice / 2a / ftwrk 3z / sit ch sit maybe a bit slow being picky but good pos / strt ftwrk works really well with cadence of the music / flysit great pos speed better that previous sit / O ftwrk is excellent / combo spin to end / great skate /
2 Nathan Last EO 17 41.67
black shirt & pants / summertime /
3z fell think rot / O ftwrk gets a little slow on difficult steps – lacking a bit of expression / 3s turns out / sit ch sit – good low pos & speed / 2a very deliberate into it / ccombo spin is ok / strt ftwrk is a little slow and I think simple / ? spin to end /
3 Kurt Stoll SK 21 29.64
silver satin shirt dark pants / heavy dramatic music
ccombo spin with nice xfoot – good speed & pos / really slow into 3s and it didn’t get off the ice – singled it / spread eagle into 1a / sit ch sit is very nice / popped toe to single / strt ftwrk into O ftwrk is ok / deathdrop really rough landing – probably short revs /
4 Paul Poirier CO 5 57.02
white shirt with black tie & pants / Come Together /
great opening moves to start / excllents sit ch sit / popped flip 3t / ftwrk nice 3z / music is picking up for strt ftwrk and as expected it’s great / back sit ch sit – great spin / 2a / O ftwrk is extremely complex / combo spin ends in xfoot /
5 Joey Russell NL 3 61.44
black with tiny bit of white trim at neck / painted black /
some great chor to opening slow music / 1a / 3f3l – nice / music picks up / 3z ugly landing but clean / spin that I was blocked out of – couldn’t see / S ftwrk / Strt ftwrk / both I think were fairly high level – went very well with the music / sit ch sit is good / back camel with layover starts combo spin – nice /
6 Jesse Smith AB 15 43.35
white shirt with black design on front & black / piano
2a / 3t2t / flysit is quite good – nice pos / he’s fairly scratchy & his speed has really improved at all / ftwrk 3s / O ftwrk is expressive but slow / sit ch sit good pos (but slow) / strt ftwrk as music is building – bit simple & slow / he still suffers from plank hands / combo spin with nice xfoot /
7 David Struthers QC 16 42.44
black with red on one side of top & floaty bits on arm / flamenco to start but more celtic now
2z2t I think / 2s / sit ch sit is very good – speed & pos / 2a / O ftwrk is ok in char of music / back cam starts combo spin – back was nice front camel needs more extension / strt ftwrk is ok / death drop is ok good pos but got slow /
8 Sylvain Bouillere QC 13 48.14
black with pink kerchief at the open neck of his shirt / western theme / good bad & ugly at times
great opening / chor into 2a bit wild on landing / 3t2t / 3l maybe short landing funny on 2feet / deathdrop in part was an excellent spin / strt ftwrk is completely in char of the music even to the ‘guns’ & shooting / combo spin – nice positions / sit ch sit / then takes a chug for his drink and sighs / O ftwrk ending at the judges / that was delightful so much fun – it’s programs like this that make you glad you watch ALL the skaters /
9 Jacob Povzikov - withdrawn - injury CO
10 Brandon Prete SK 14 46.22
black with deep v in front some dark red glitter banding it / low deep piano music ended up sounding somewhat Italian and then I can hear ‘my way’ near the end.
3t2t / 3l really wild free leg on landing & tight but think he got around / 2a no height but clean / back sit ch sit – ok pos but nice & fast / I missed a spin / strt ftwrk works well with the music – ok / death drop took a while to center the spin /
11 Fedor Andreev EO 2 61.62
black long sleeve tshirt & pants /
some chor to opening rock guitar sound / 3a rot but fell out / 3f3t not much height on either and took some effort but done possibly short rot on toe / 3z was nice / sit ch sit – very nice front ok on back / strt ftwrk in char with the guitar riffs & expressing it well / back cam starts combo spin – excellent speed on whole spin / O ftwrk has attitude – nicely done / butterfly back sit /
12 Maxime-Billy Fortin QC 7 56.44
light pink shirt black pants / big bandish sound
popped to 1t 3t / 3a turnsout / he’s still very loose in the air / sit ch sit gets very slow on 1st half good on 2nd / 3f hand down / O ftwrk is great – this is where his looseness inthe body really works well / back combo spin ch front is ok – not great / strt ftwrk in char & uses the music really well – good speed / death drop good pos but spin was slow (I didn’t actually see it – blocked out by a photographer ) /
13 Matthew Penasse WO 10 49.50
turquoise & black vest over white shirt / betthovan’s last night
3z2t / ftwrk 3t / back sit ch sit is ok – decent pos / 2a not really sure and a bit scratchy but clean / O ftwrk has some nice bits but generally just ok / flysit quite good / strt ftwrk is ok / back cam starts combo spin – ok /
14 Craig Finney AB 9 51.72
black shirt & pants with black & white swirly pattern tie / Take 5 /
3a way leaning into the circle and fell – no real hope of landing it / 3t3t – 2nd one probably 2foot / sit ch sit – good pos & speed / strt ftwrk – right with music & in char – ibt slow across the ice / 3l fell out / a couple of spins at the end – I was looking up others stuff and didn’t really see the end of the program /
15 Karolin Metivier QC - withdrawn QC
16 William Lindsay WO 20 30.44
Bright blue top with bits of red swirls / caught toepick & fell doing some opening chor / 1a / strt ftwrk is ok – with music but nothing special – somewhat slow / 3s under rot fell / combo spin starts with nicely extended camel ends in side split / 3t feet crossed on landing – fell / sit ch sit is slow – pos ok / O ftwrk / fly forward sit is ok /
17 Braeden Donaldson BC 18 37.76
lime green with black swirly patterns & black pants / robot music
opening moves right with music / 3t both hands down / back combo spin starts with weak camel – nice xfoot – front half of spin is only soso / ftwrk 2a / strt ftwrk is soso / 3s pitched way forward but didn’t put hand down 2t / O ftwrk is ok / a bit of chor / sit ch sit – gets slow but nice pos / fly forward sit had good fly & spin – he did a nicer one in warm-up /
18 Louis-Philippe Sirois QC 6 56.58
shiny dark silver – grey vest & grey sparkly pants / yesterday – starts music then
nice high 2a / 3f2t he fought for that flip / 3l / combo spin has some nice pos – got a little slow but I liked it / O ftwrk as music speeds up – works with the music quite nicely / flysit with twisted pos / Strt ftwrk with music – nice – bit of a slip towards the end but covered it up well / sit ch sit
19 Brennan Martin EO 11 49.11
black with white design on top and down legs /
2a is big / 3t2t / sit spin – didn’t see start / catilever / 3z leaning landed on 2 feet possibly short revs / combo spins starts with back camel – nice extension – rest is ok / music picks up O ftwrk is moving faster with music – nicely done / strt ftwrk – missed the start - what I saw was pretty good – right into closing pose /
20 Ehren Jaleel AB 12 49.09
black with sheer on one side of top and an ‘eye’ appliqué / dark low music
2a / 3z2t not really pretty but clean / spiral popped flip to single / sit ch sit – excellent pos ok speed / O ftwrk is floaty and with music / flying back upright xfoot / strt ftwrk is ok / music is very boring / back spin starts combo – spins are slower than I remember /
21 Jean-Simon Légaré QC 8 54.60
black with diag red ruffle down front / Spanish - flamenco /
some chor to start / 3z2t / very dramamtic music and he’s playing it to the hilt / 3f leaning going up and fell not sure if fully rot / O ftwrk death drop twisted sit with variations / music picks up 2a / he has tight air pos but seems to be on a bit of lean in all his jumps / sit spin that I didn’t really see – sit ch sit / strt ftwrk is wirth music but on the slow side / combo spin starts with lovely camel /
22 Ian Martinez QC – Withdrawn
23 Michael Elias EO 19 36.27
black short sleeve tshirt & pants – top is a little bit sheer or just shimmery / familiar modern rock /
3z step out / 2a leaning out but managed to hang on / combo spin has nice fast sit on front ok on back to xfoot / 2t and not very pretty at that picks went in badly / sit ch sit is a bit slow / strt ftwrk is ok – with music but not a lot of enthusiasim / finished a little after music /
24 Gary Wong BC 4 57.30
black ‘pirate’ costume white collar & cuffs red sash at waist / Pirates of the Carribean /
3f hand down / chor starts at opening with him playing a drunk / 3z 2t / flysit has great fast pos in sit / O ftwrk in char of music – keeps moving / 2a / back sit ch sit – nicely done good speed / takes a drink to start strt steps – in char – nice / back cam starts combo spin – excellent spin /
25 Dominic Rondeau QC - withdrawn
Thank you so much for the great notes!!!
- Good to see Kenny performed a solid SP. Go Kenny Go!!
- I feel terrible Joey popped 3A (sigh)
- Maxim-Billy: he's always used big band music. And he needs a music make-over.
- What happened to Karolin Metivier? I like this guy and so want to see him at Canadians.
- Gary Wong: how did he manage to amass such huge points?
What about Ian Martinez? He was a rising star this season - and Karolin has been one to watch as well.
I think Ian Martinez may have a bye, as he competed in senior Grand Prix circuit (Skate America). He did ok in free skate, but his SP had a lot of room for improvement.
Regarding Kenny, yes it looks like he gave up on 3A. He's been consistent with other jumps normally and his 3A-less LP at 2008 Canadians came 4th. Having said that, he is going to be overlooked by SC again, if he doesn't have 3As.
re Karolin Metivier
I asked a couple of people from the Quebec team and evidently he's taking some time for 'reflection' and isn't competing this season. I don't if he's still skating or not.
Yes, Ian Martinez does have a bye
By the way, Marc-Andre Craig isn't skating anymore
He might not have given up on the 3a for the free program. . . we'll see tomorrow. but it does look like he has for the short
Originally Posted by fumie_fumie
I just got home from watching the 32 Senior Women perform their free program. The men's short program was vastly more entertaining.
Descriptions are in final standings order (I hope!)
1. Kathryn Kang 81.82 in free. Her jumps were on today, she did a beautiful 3lz, 3t, 3s, 3s/1t, 2a/2t. She skated to Swan Lake and had the best expression I've ever seen from her - she was very happy. Her program slowed as it progressed and the spins need work. 133.16 total.
2. Vanessa Grenier 87.61 in free. Great performance, jumps and spins. She won the freeskate. Jumps: 32/2lp/2t, 3f(2 foot), 3t/2t, 3s, 2a, 3t/2t, 2a(step). Lots of drama and facial expression. Great extension and stretch. Her jumps had good height, good step sequence and overall her skating had a lot of polish. 130.43 total.
3. Erin Scherrer 84.09 in free. She has been restyled and looks great! Love the haircut, the dress, the whole package. She skated with power and conviction, way better than I've ever seen her skate before. Jumps: 2a, 3s(hand), 3t/2t, 2a, 2a/2t/2t, 3t(hand). Also, loved her Lululemon jacket she wore on warm-up! 126.21 total.
4. Amelie Lacoste 76.65 in free. Same program as last year. One of my favourite skaters, plenty of speed, power and polish. Jumps weren't there today except her opening jump which was fabulous: 3lp/2lp/2lp. 117.63 total.
5. Izabel Valiquette 77.34 in free. I've never seen her before she has blonde hair and spent too much time in the tanning bed (imo). Another smooth powerful skater from Quebec. Jumps: 3s, 2a, 3s(hand), 2a, 2a/2t. 117.44 total.
6. Adrianna DeSanctis 74.22 in free. I've never seen her before. She wore flesh coloured gloves and a halter style dress. The music sounded like Folk music to me. She had a great spiral sequence. Her jumps: 3s/2t, 3t(hand), 2a, 2a(step), 3s. 117.16 total
7. Vanessa Juteau 71.23 in free. Nice skater in another dress that has too much flesh. Good style and expression, jumps were a bit lacking. 2a/2t, 3t/2t, 3t(fall), 2a. She also had problems with the flying spin. 115.53 total.
8. Kristen Walker 76.26 in free. Lots of Senior Women polish, she looks like she belongs! Nice expression in program but she looked so stressed in the warm-up. She become more relaxed as the program progressed. Jumps: 3t/2t/1lp, 2a/2t, 3s, 2a, 3t. She was very happy. 114.04 total.
9. Vanessa Sauriol 70.80 in free. Dreadfully boring music. She was a nice skater and had ok expression. Jumps: 3s(hand), 3t/2t(step/hand), 2a, 2a/2t, 3t(hand), 2a(fall). 109.58 total.
10. Rachel Gendron 75.29 in free. My favourite performance of the afternoon. She wore a beautiful cream dress with gold lace. To open she did a wonderful spread eagle into a 2a/2t. Rest of jumps: 3s, 2a, 3t, 2a. Good use of body movement and beautiful arms. Good extension on spiral. Lots of good field movements. She skated to a middle east music that I am unfamiliar with. She had a very good straight line step sequence. Lots of COP marks!! 109.51 total.
11. Cecylia Witkowski 65.54 in free. She started off well but forgot how to jump halfway through program. Her program was also boring (of course I had seen 29 skaters before her). Jumps: 3t/2t/1lp, 2a-2a sequence. 109.00 total
12. McKenzie Crawford 68.26 in free. Boring music, little facial expression from her. Jumps: 3t (2ft)/2t, 3lp(no!), 2a/2t, 3t(fall), 3s, 2a. 107.58 total.
13. Dana Zhalko-Tytarenko 70.54 in free. Lots of jumps, I kinda tuned out, she skated 18th and I was already getting tired of watching. Jumps: 3t/2t (turn in b/w jumps), 3f(fall), 3s/2t, 3t(step), 3s, 3-double jump combo. She looked unhappy by the end. 105.90 total.
14. Brittany Novakowski 68.35 in free. 104.39 total
15. Charlotte Belair 62.98 in free. 101.58 total
16. Paige Lawrence 60.5 in free. 98.10 total.
Gary's program is really well constructed. The Pirate theme is carried throughout the program, he uses his edges along with great presentation/expression. He did the same program last year so he is really comfortable and can perform it! The jumps seemed more solid this year despite putting his hand down on the triple flip.
Originally Posted by fumie_fumie
Thank you so much aarower and Rosaleen. Yes, at Canadians, men have been always more exciting than ladies.
- Re Karolin Metivier, he is going to be surely missed at Canadians.
- Re Marc-Andre, i felt a bit sad when he imploded in LP last year. Yes, I think he peaked a few years ago as a top Canadian man.
- Re Kang, she finally put two and two together. This was her first clean competitions in how many years?
- Re Vanessa Grenier, one of a few junior ladies who finally broke out of 3S-3T ruts with 5 triples. Will she get more JGP assignments next year?
- Re Lacoste, she is still on her way back up from her numerous injuries. We all know when she is on, she is a power jumper and skater. Hopefully, she will build from here.
- Re Adrianna DeSanctis, we haven't seen her before because she is American. I think she started as a Canadian from this season.
I am really looking forward to hearing about Rylie in western junior challenge. There has been a mini-buzz about her.
I am really wishing, hoping, and praying, that Fedor can come back in the long program and win the whole thing. I mean he is only what less than two points off of first place right? There is reason to hope right?
Or am I panicing for no reason, and Fedor is going to win it all?
So the winner is the only person that goes on to Senior nationals?
I have already had a ruff day, I was snowed in and was unable to go out so I am a little....yeah a couragous victory from Fedor tomorrow would make my weekend all better.
Last edited by cloudkicker09; 12-06-2008 at 09:23 PM.
No Fedor doesn't have to win in order to advance to Canadians.
Originally Posted by cloudkicker09
There are a total of 18 men going to senior nationals. The 18 spots will be first filled by those who compete internationally and thus have byes and then by those who come on top at the senior challenge.
Canadian men with byes are
1. Patrick Chan
2. Shawn Sawyer
3. Kevin Reynolds
4. Vaughn Chipeur (although I'm not sure if he deserves it though)
5. Jeremy Ten
6. Ian Martinez
7. E. Balde.
This leaves us with 11 spots, which will be filled at the challenge.
Addicted to handsome, artistic male skaters ;-)
True, Ken has no hope of being considered for international assignments without the 3-Axel, plus he's no longer a spring chicken in terms of age. I mean, the federation almost gave up on Shawn (i.e. they initially didn't want to give him a spot at SC even though he was the only Canadian guy in the Top 6 with only 1 GP assignment) despite the fact that he's the reigning national bronze medallist.
Originally Posted by fumie_fumie
Absolutely. Fedor's only 1.51 points behind Ken. That gap is virtually nothing.
Originally Posted by cloudkicker09
Thank you for saying this! Before the GP season started, most FSUers on the "Canadian Men Discussion" thread had placed Vaughn on a pedestal while they kicked Shawn in the stomach, saying things like he was past his best-before-date, he won't even make the National Team, he should retire, etc. (These are of course the very same people who wrote off Jeff last season. ) I wasn't even a Sawyer fan at that point (I just "really liked" him), but my intuition "knew" that Shawn still had it in him to succeed and that Vaughn was overhyped. I valiantly came to Shawn's defense (without ever saying anything negative about his rival), and I was viciously attacked left and right for doing so. Well, look who's right.
Originally Posted by fumie_fumie
Those naysayers also tried to convince me that Fedor wouldn't show up at EOS. And when he did, they then complained about his "low" score (which was actually 40 points higher than what he earned last year). Some jumped to the conclusion he wouldn't qualify for Nationals. :sheesh:
Since the protocols aren't up yet, I thought I'd list the guys so that we'd have a better idea of what the situation is going into the free skate:
Senior Challenge Men's SP Standings
1. Ken Rose CO 63.13
2. Fedor Andreev EO 61.62
3. Joey Russell NL 61.44
4. Gary Wong BC 57.30
5. Paul Poirier CO 57.02
6. Louis-Philippe Sirois QC 56.58
7. Maxime-Billy Fortin QC 56.44
8. Jean-Simon Légaré QC 54.60
9. Craig Finney AB 51.72
10. Matthew Penasse WO 49.50
11. Brennan Martin EO 49.11
12. Ehren Jaleel AB 49.09
13. Sylvain Bouillere QC 48.14
14. Brandon Prete SK 46.22
15. Jesse Smith AB 43.35
16. David Struthers QC 42.44
17. Nathan Last EO 41.67
18. Braeden Donaldson BC 18 37.76
19. Michael Elias EO 36.27
20. William Lindsay WO 30.44
21. Kurt Stoll SK 29.64
Last edited by siberia82; 12-07-2008 at 01:28 AM.
Ladies going to Nationals
Skaters who have byes
1. Joannie Rochette
2. Mira Leung
3. Cynthia Phaneuf
4. Myriane Samson
5. Diane Szmiett
Skaters who qualified through senior challenge
1 Kathryn Kang BC/YT 51.34 81.82 133.16
2 Vanessa Grenier QC 42.82 87.61 130.43
3 Erin Scherrer WO 42.12 84.09 126.21
4 Amélie Lacoste QC 40.98 76.65 117.63
5 Izabel Valiquette QC 40.10 77.34 117.44
6 Adriana DeSanctis CO 42.94 74.22 117.16
7 Vanessa Juteau QC 44.30 71.23 115.53
8 Kristen Walker AB/NT/NU 37.78 76.26 114.04
9 Vanessa Sauriol QC 39.48 70.10 109.58
10 Rachel Gendron QC 34.22 75.29 109.51
11 Cecylia Witkowski BC/YT 43.46 65.54 109.00
12 McKenzie Crawford WO 39.32 68.26 107.58
13 Dana Zhalko-Tytarenko EO 35.36 70.54 105.90
Disappointing skate for Dana ZT and Crawford.
Last edited by fumie_fumie; 12-07-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Reason: switched Phaneuf's and Leung's names around as per nadster's suggestion
If you switch Phaneuf's and Leung's names around your list of ladies would be the reverse order of the short program start order at nationals.
Short program order at nationals is determined in the following order.
1. Reverse order of finish at challenge for those who qualified through the challenge.
2. Byed skaters who did not compete at the last senior nationals. There is a draw if more than one entry in this category but there won't be any this year as only Balde ( men) , Asher/Hill ( dance ) and Pisotta/Stewart ( pairs ) fit this category.
3. Byed skaters not in category 2 in reverse order of finish at last senior nationals.
Last edited by nadster; 12-07-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Do the pair skaters Jessica Dubé (6th last year) and Mylène Brodeur (11th last year) get a bye?
Originally Posted by fumie_fumie