More cuteness from the SW Pacific Region | Golden Skate

More cuteness from the SW Pacific Region

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
They are both adorable! Looks like they've both got some character too. Thanks for posting the links.

Dave Amorde

Rinkside
I went and saw Ricky practice yesterday. He was working on a triple loop for Regionals. He's looking pretty good!
GO RICKY!

Dave, how old is Ricky? What level is he at?

Lulu, check out those edges in the picture you posted!

Mathman

mzheng

Record Breaker
peachstatesk8er said:
She needs to work on pushing her hips forward so she doesn't break at the waist in the spread eagle.

Yes, I agree. She has good edge on that though. I guess in that edge position, she needs more speed to push her hips forward, since when she push her hips forward her full body will be in a much lean postion to the center, thus bigger center forces applied to her body she need more speed to balance out.

Look at Kirk's spread eagle has the same problem but not as obviously as this one. I would guess Kirk has more speed.

Look at Sasha's spread eagle is the opposite. Her blads is not as lean towards the center as it should be, but her hips fully pushed forward and her upbody has a nice bended backwards postion to provide the center force.

Peachstatesk8er, I know you are just fooling around, making a "counter-cute" post. But still, you can't tell skaters that they are ugly on this board, especially children.

Mathman

Last edited:
Great pics of both. If flexibility is a necessity, zhao zhang will have many hi scores for that.

Ricky looks like he's ready to skate to the Music Man.

I'll check em out in juniors and expect more in seniors.

Joe

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
mzheng said:
Yes, I agree. She has good edge on that though. I guess in that edge position, she needs more speed to push her hips forward, since when she push her hips forward her full body will be in a much lean postion to the center, thus bigger center forces applied to her body she need more speed to balance out.

Look at Kirk's spread eagle has the same problem but not as obviously as this one. I would guess Kirk has more speed.

Look at Sasha's spread eagle is the opposite. Her blads is not as lean towards the center as it should be, but her hips fully pushed forward and her upbody has a nice bended backwards postion to provide the center force.

It's entirely possible to have a good edge and have proper position as well with good speed. Just ask Boitano or Wylie. :)

Mathman, I was totally serious, but thanks for the info. I should have just said he looks like Howdy Doody and left it at that. It it a bash if it's true? LOL

Yes, it is a bash, and a particularly cruel one, to tell a child that he or she is ugly, even if you think it's true. It is a bash to tell a little boy that he looks like Howdy Doody. Just because you are on the Internet doesn't mean you can throw away common courtesy.

About Caroline Zhao Zhang's speed, edges, etc., remember she is an Intermediate. There is plenty of time for her to develop her skills before she is judged by Junior or Senior standards.

Mathman

valuvsmk

Rinkside
Well, Mathman, if you want to be politically correct regarding postings, that is your free speech right (as is that of the poster you are condemning).

What I found most objectionable about the pictures posted of the skater's performance (as opposed to the skater himself) was:

1. The lack of subtlety in the performance (aka "mugging"). Is this child channeling Christopher Bowman/Ryan Bradley "it's so gay"?

2. The costume scheme (red, white and blue with stars)? Haven't you seen ANY production of the stage show "Gypsy" where this is not parodied? In the 1920's, ridiculously "patriotic" numbers were put into routines/shows to obtain audience applause. Despite the efforts of Karl Rove, Dick Cheney, John Ashcroft and the "Shrub" himself, aren't you able to identify such an attempt to milk an audience result, even today?

Well, personally, I've always been a sucker for red, white and blue with stars. Sure it's a parody -- that's what's fun about it.

About freedom of speech: insisting that posters follow the guidelines of the forum does not rise to the level of a first amendment issue. Posters should not comment adversely on skaters' physical appearance or moral character, nor should they post excessive and repetitive criticism.

If you must do that, there are other figure skating forums that allow and even encourage such comments. Again, personally, I do not understand what would motivate any adult to call a child ugly. But different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Mathman

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Posters should not comment adversely on skaters' physical appearance or moral character, nor should they post excessive and repetitive criticism.

If you must do that, there are other figure skating forums that allow and even encourage such comments. Again, personally, I do not understand what would motivate any adult to call a child ugly. But different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Mathman

I can think of at least one skater that has excessive and repetitive snarks taken at her expense on a regular basis by the same crew over and over, but that's another (19 page?) thread altogether.

As for comments on ugliness, ever hang out at any competitions and listen to parents of skaters? Judges? Other officials? All adults. I assure you my comment was extremely tame, but nonetheless I'll keep it to myself next time and just laugh at the pics.

BTW, intermediate is well into the range where I'd expect to see good form on a spread eagle; it's a fairly easy move.

Peachstatesk8er, I didn't mean to come off like the thought police. Sometimes I go into "lecture mode" without meaning to. An occupational hazzard.

About that long Sasha thread, I agree that some of the posts stretched the rules about "excessive and repetitive" criticism. The reason that I let it go is this: Either Sasha will skate well this season or she won't. Everything else -- "Sasha's the greatest," "No, she's not" -- is just "Internet talk."

Mathman:)

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
No problem. Still, in order to maintain fairness, if you're going to enforce something on one person, plan on doing it for everyone. Otherwise you're sending out an extremely negative message that it's ok for some but not others. That's not a good thing IMO.