More cuteness from the SW Pacific Region | Page 2 | Golden Skate

More cuteness from the SW Pacific Region

Dave Amorde

Rinkside
After waiting a few days to cool off, I'll simply state that there is a world of difference between criticizing someone's skating or skating attire, and criticizing the individual. To call someone "ugly", especially a 12 year old boy, is completely uncalled for and inexcusable. If you don't like the photos, blame the photographer, because the young man in question is anything but ugly - in every sense of the word.

I don't know what offends me more - that someone would be so crass as to post such a remark, or that the "moderators" of this board would see fit to allow it to remain.

To Dave Amorde,

I¡¦m just kind of thinking out loud here, so please bear with me. I am still new to this moderating business. It's not as much fun as I thought it would be.

You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. If you look at the dialogue on this thread between Peachstatesk8er and me, it stared out antagonistic, with me quoting the rules of the forum, and it ended up with Peachstatesk8er saying that she wouldn¡¦t do it any more and with me saying, sorry I was so harsh.

That's a good thing. Maybe Peachstatesk8er will go back and delete the offensive language from her original post, to take it off the record (hint, hint). That would be even better.

In fact, Peachstatesk8er (if you are reading this), in regard to your last post, I will make a deal with you. If you will delete the snarky (a word I learned from surfing figure skating boards, LOL) sentences from your posts, I will try to be fairer when it comes to Michelle. This is the hardest part of being a moderator, by far. To reign in my Kwaniacal instincts in the interests of the forum as a whole¡Kwell, like I said, being a moderator isn¡¦t as much fun as I thought it would be.

(But it's still fun.)

Mathman

Last edited:
Well, like I said, being a moderator isn¡'t as much fun as I thought it would be. (But it's still fun.)
Golly, Mathman, "But it's still fun" isn't at all what you said on the "Uncensored Skating Forum" the other day.:confused:

Kidding, kidding, kidding.

BTW, I think Mathman and the other mods do a dang good job, even when I disagree with them, especially considering the four main forum moderators, Joesitz, KwanFan, Mathman, and Tonichelle, have only been working together for less than nine months. I think there are a lot of grey areas they have to deal with and they also have to balance promoting a free and open exchange with making sure what gets posted stays within both the letter and the spirit of the guidelines. I've seen occasions where someone has used innuendo, repetition, and inference to convey negative feelings about a skater or poster, yet technically they haven't bashed anyone. What would you (you in general) do? Plus we've got posters ranging from conservative to liberal, from age 16 to well, older, from all kinds of different cultural and religious backgrounds, and not to mention fans of different skaters, but also people who aren't fans of any skater but just of skating. The mods deal with all that for the amazing salary of the joy of helping us all from annoying each other to death.

Believe me, I'm not one to say that just because they're moderators I think everything they do is right--as if anyone wouldn't believe me, lol. I just think Mathman brings up some excellent points. Besides, if anyone had a problem with the way s/he felt a certain skater was being criticized, all you have to do is PM one or all of the moderators about your concerns. I know from experience that they will give it their full attention.

I'll get off my pony now. I'm not up to being on my high horse, at least not at the moment.

BTW, I think Caroline Zhang is purposefully leaning forward with her upper body in that photo, as if she were about to go into another move. I think photos aren't the best way to analyze a skater's technique anyway. When we see the Zhangs on TV or when some lucky ducks see them in person, then I think we'll get a more accurate idea of how they skate. And honestly, I think Ricky Zhang is cute as a bug.:love:
Rgirl

Last edited:

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
Mathman said:

In fact, Peachstatesk8er (if you are reading this), in regard to your last post, I will make a deal with you. If you will delete the snarky (a word I learned from surfing figure skating boards, LOL) sentences from your posts, I will try to be fairer when it comes to Michelle. This is the hardest part of being a moderator, by far. To reign in my Kwaniacal instincts in the interests of the forum as a whole¡Kwell, like I said, being a moderator isn¡¦t as much fun as I thought it would be.

(But it's still fun.)

Mathman

I never mentioned Michelle. In fact, she was not the skater I was talking about at all. But now that you mention it, the remarks on her are excessive and repetitive as well.

The bad reason is, if you let the post stand, then everybody gets to see what kind of person the poster is. That is his or her punishment.

I don't feel it's punishment at all to have my opinions out there. They're opinions, everyone has a right to one. You can let them stand or not, it's your choice.

OK, that was mean. Forget I said that.

How can I forget it when it's still on the board? Or did you want people to see what kind of person YOU are? Thanks so much. After saying I would keep my opinion to myself next time, you feel the need to imply that I'm not a good poster? Is that what you're getting at? How nice. I was trying to be decent, but after that, forget it.

Last edited:
Whoops, I was just about to post something to Peach about your post, Mathman, but as I was about to say, "Mathman doesn't need me or anyone to defend him..." there you were, proving my point.

Good choice, BTW.
Rgirl

Dave Amorde

Rinkside
Well, it is obvious that the "bashing will not be tolerated" directive is meaningless. It is also obvious that the sensitivities of the young athletes who participate in this sport are not worthy of the moderators' consideration. Yes, moderating a discussion board can be a tough job at times. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Simmer down, everybody. This isn't the U.N. Security Council looking for Weapons of Mass Destruction. It's just Internet skating chatter.

Dave, if you want to make a complaint, push the little button that says "report this post to a moderator," and follow the instructions.

Mathman

I Hate Cute!!! In my opinion and it is just my opinion I think two Oly winners won it on cuteness. That's not a BASH. It's the way I watched the competitions.

For me and it's just me, I like female skaters as young ladies at least 18 years old and the male skaters as young men at least 20 years old. Anyone younger I may see as talented and promising or absolutely nothing.

The adjectives UGLY and GAWKY do not for me describe the skating skills and it's the skating skills that I am interested in.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

Ricky looks like he's ready to skate to the Music Man.

76 trombones led the big parade
with a hundred and ten coronets right beside...

;) I couldn't help it

he is certainly a cutey... here's hoping he sticks with it!

Joesitz said:
...For me and it's just me, I like female skaters as young ladies at least 18 years old and the male skaters as young men at least 20 years old. Anyone younger I may see as talented and promising or absolutely nothing.
Joe [/B]

Not trying to argue, but how did you feel about Michelle winning the Olympic Festival at (I'm not sure of the age) but something like 13 or 14; Worlds, Nationals, and practically everything else at 16 and 17 and Oly silver at 17? Also Lu Chen Oly bronze at 17? Sarah Oly Gold at 16?

What about Yagudin winning Worlds at 18 and 19? Kulik World silver at 18?

I know there are more; these are just a few examples. Like I said, I'm not trying to challenge you, am just curious as to whether these skaters count as "cute" too or if there is something about them that makes them exceptions.
Rgirl

That is an interesting question, Rgirl, and it made me think (even though I'm not Joe). With Michelle, if you had asked that question a year ago I would have said, wow, Michelle is an extraordinarily talented skater, wow, just look at her, wow, what artistic maturity for such a young girl.

But with what she brought to the table last year, much of her earlier work now does seem "cute and promising."

Same with Ilia Kulik. I never really became a fan of Kulik until his professional career took off and he began to show us what he could do as a mature artist.

Conversely, my other favorite lady, Kristi, is still cute as the Dickens at 31.

Mathman

serenity

On the Ice
Thanks for the next batch of pics because I almost forgot why I came to this tread. Watch, the boy will grow up and knock all your socks off.

gezando

Final Flight
:laugh: "Repetitive and Excessive" It is a tradition IIRC summer 2002

Kwanics Lets party :love: a thread about the Queen's artistry

AntiKwaniac I will not allow Niacs to gush, lets go 300 rounds

Kwanics I love her, she is a beauty on and off the ice

Kwandetractor I hate her, she did not publicly agologize for the transgressions of the press.

Kwanics She is artistic

AntiKwaniac She is not, she does not skate from the center

Kwanics She has pretty fingers

AntiKwaniac She has ugly fingers

Last edited:
rGirl - I did think of MK in the early years as a little girl with the potential to win. Even her Salome which I thought of as a grown up girl was a maturing piece, with still more to come. Lulu was not really competitive in that contest. I would love to see MK's Salame now. Imo, it would be stunning!

Similarly, I saw Sasha as a young kid with lots of talent (now she's a young lady). My latest discovery is Bebe. A little girl with gobs of talent.

I was never overwhelmed with Ilia as an amateur. For me, he came into his own in SOI. Yags, however, I did see the potential at a young age even when he was competitng against Ilia. Yags Oly skate was the fulfilment of his capabilities - not because he won but because it was beautiful mature skating. I'm not sure Plush has that special talent.

I believe there will be more Russian boys jumping up the podium, but I think Evan Lyacek will be the next great American hope - not for gold (that's for Timmy) but for beautiful mature skating.

Joe